Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are we getting this in Aust?

Says Your vehicle must be on software update 2021.32.22 or later. On Teslafi is looks like 2021.32.22 is exclusive to USA atm, so perhaps not.

View attachment 714692

It looks at

• Forward Collision Warnings per 1,000 Miles
  • Hard Braking
  • Aggressive Turning
  • Unsafe Following
  • Forced Autopilot Disengagement

Safety Score Beta

When you click on the link press the Stop button on your browser the second it loads and before it auto reloads the /en_AU/ page which throws a 404 error.
This update is the one that gives the US the FSD beta request button. It' won't be coming to Australia for quite a while, if ever.

Reactions: Leeroy and ARMARM
If it looks at the right metrics in the right way then this could be useful to get evidence based insurance premiums.

Immediate problems i see already:

- hard braking: how many G's constitutes hard braking? If you ask my wife, it's every time I touch the brake pedal. If you ask me, it's when I see the VSC lights come on. Also, this might have been caused by the person in front doing something stupid. Why am I being punished for that? Even with 3s following distance, if the car in front slams the brakes full, you better do the same.

- unsafe following needs quantified: How many lead seconds are required to be considered safe? And does it take being on autopilot into account? My autopilot on the lowest setting follows at 1.2 seconds. That is not enough for a human driver, but plenty for an autopilot. Does it know the difference?

- forced autopilot disengagement: I don't even know what that means. AP stuffs up on occasion at which point I have to override it either with brake or steering wheel, or both. is that a forced disengagement? Or do they mean those cases where it flashes the "take manual control immediately" image because it got itself into a state it doesn't know what to do? So I'm getting punished for their inadequate software?

Reactions: Hungry Mile
If it looks at the right metrics in the right way then this could be useful to get evidence based insurance premiums.

Immediate problems i see already:

- hard braking: how many G's constitutes hard braking? If you ask my wife, it's every time I touch the brake pedal. If you ask me, it's when I see the VSC lights come on. Also, this might have been caused by the person in front doing something stupid. Why am I being punished for that? Even with 3s following distance, if the car in front slams the brakes full, you better do the same.

- unsafe following needs quantified: How many lead seconds are required to be considered safe? And does it take being on autopilot into account? My autopilot on the lowest setting follows at 1.2 seconds. That is not enough for a human driver, but plenty for an autopilot. Does it know the difference?

- forced autopilot disengagement: I don't even know what that means. AP stuffs up on occasion at which point I have to override it either with brake or steering wheel, or both. is that a forced disengagement? Or do they mean those cases where it flashes the "take manual control immediately" image because it got itself into a state it doesn't know what to do? So I'm getting punished for their inadequate software?
Looking a bit further into the metrics hard braking is over 0.3G and dropping speed by more than 10km/h. Autopilot disengagement is when the car has given the red warning to hold the wheel enough so that it temporarily locks you out of autopilot, not when you force the wheel and autopilot disengages

I agree the definitions are very important. Can’t remember the distance one off the top of my head

Also, driver distraction should be part of the safety score. It's a well established fact from several independent studies that show it doesn't matter whether you speak on a phone held in hand or a phone in a BT hands-free arrangement. The mind is distracted, braking distance hugely impacted, and general attention to traffic diminished.

The car knows when you're on the phone. Factor that in!

A LOT of discussion needs to be held about this before this should see the light of day.

I picked my M3SR+ yesterday and it’s sitting on v2021.3.105. Anyone know if that’s the latest, where do you check what is the latest version and how to update?
It's the latest for you until you get an update.
You can sit on the delivery versions (odd 2nd number for a while)
0.3G isn't very much: that's bringing the car to a standstill from 35 km/h in 3 seconds. That's standard city braking.
I reckon the car recovery brakes garden than this on AP coming up behind stopped traffic.

I suspect this will be rolled out in the next update we see in Aus, but at the moment it actually doesn't mean anything other than a 'game' score

Also, driver distraction should be part of the safety score.

1632712357136.png

I reckon 90% of my Forced AP disengagement events are when I am distracted by the phone. Invariably my hands are still on the wheel.

I reckon 90% of my Forced AP disengagement events are when I am distracted by the phone. Invariably my hands are still on the wheel.
If forced AP disconnect and AP jail is the metric for driver being distracted, then I have never been distracted in my car. Though I would argue that I have been distracted plenty, however I get out of distractions and pay attention when car starts with audible alerts to wiggle steering. However that cannot be counted as distraction metrics, as there are plenty of occasions where car displays alert to wiggle steering, however regardless of the amount of wiggling the car does not acknowledge that I am wiggling it, so sometimes the audible alarm starts and then my wiggling of steering gets strong enough to pop it out of the auto-steering (that usually happens if the road is a bit rough so the steering gets input from road side bumps also), then I just re engage the auto steering with the stalk and we are back to normal.

So, this is a first for me. My car is currently on software 2021.32.10. Today the car notified of available update 2021.32.21, so I let it start the update. The update ran for longer than usual. I checked the car in about 30 minutes after it started and the update was showing about 1/3 of the way into update, so I left it for another hour and checked back, then it said the update had failed and please wait for another update to be pushed to the car. I figured, I would reboot the car just in case. So I restarted the car and am still on 2021.32.10 however now my map data is updated to 2021.32 also where before the map data was 2020.24, so it looks like the new map data came same time as new software and software part failed but map part got updated. So lets hope they will send the next software update again soon.
So, 3 days passed and they pushed the same update again to my car. This time it took 15 minutes and it installed with no issues. Was pretty much the fastest update the car has had so far :)
Will have to do some driving to see if anything is changed, but so far seems very similar to last update.
I have tested this today, and I can confirm that the UMC supplied in 2019 does work at 10A / 15A with the new tails (part numbers 1463091-10-C and 1463068-10-C) and the firmware update.
Too bad they don't sell those tails separately without buying the full UMC kit with them.