Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've said it before, but I personally recommend anyone considering EAP/FSD to consider it very carefully.

I did purchase FSD but I went in knowing exactly what I'm getting, for me there was no point going half way it was either go FSD or just stick with AP.

Now the important point is that for Australian customers there is almost no difference between EAP and FSD, that said for new HW4 vehicles in Australia right at the moment there is also not that much difference between AP and EAP (the big one being auto lane change).

For the positives, I find AP with auto lane change absolutely fantastic for long trips. For the ~4000km trip I did recently (CBR-MEL-ADL-CBR) it was almost flawless, a few very minor issues which I could count on one hand, but I used it for at least 95% of the trip and it was flawless 99% of the time which is very promising when you understand how far behind we are here compared to what is out and running in the US (which is several versions behind where they are internally). The amount of fatigue it reduces in a long trip is massive and for that reason alone I'd be happy to pay for it.

The main reason I went for full FSD is based on what I see happening in the US. I see it as a gamble (but one based on my research I'm extremely confident in). I feel it will increase in value dramatically, I believe we will have at least what the US have currently available here within the next 12 months and that also would be well worth the cost. I suspect at that point they will move to a subscription model like they are in the US, which may suit a lot of people better, my other motivation is I enjoy tech and testing new things, so I'm keen to participate in the beta testing when we finally get the current versions here.

Summon and autopark are coming and will come separate from FSD as I understand it, I expect those to be available on HW4 vehicles in the next month or so, autopark on Tesla Vision is looking extremely promising, I've seen it pull of perfect parks in situations no other vehicle auto park would even attempt.

All timeframes are complete guesswork of course, nobody can tell you when things will happen and it's not even all in Tesla's hands, there are a lot of things happening all around the world with regulators becoming very interested in this tech finally and everything is looking very positive to FSD expanding worldwide in the near future.

I've said it before, but I personally recommend anyone considering EAP/FSD to consider it very carefully.

I did purchase FSD but I went in knowing exactly what I'm getting, for me there was no point going half way it was either go FSD or just stick with AP.

Now the important point is that for Australian customers there is almost no difference between EAP and FSD, that said for new HW4 vehicles in Australia right at the moment there is also not that much difference between AP and EAP (the big one being auto lane change).

For the positives, I find AP with auto lane change absolutely fantastic for long trips. For the ~4000km trip I did recently (CBR-MEL-ADL-CBR) it was almost flawless, a few very minor issues which I could count on one hand, but I used it for at least 95% of the trip and it was flawless 99% of the time which is very promising when you understand how far behind we are here compared to what is out and running in the US (which is several versions behind where they are internally). The amount of fatigue it reduces in a long trip is massive and for that reason alone I'd be happy to pay for it.

The main reason I went for full FSD is based on what I see happening in the US. I see it as a gamble (but one based on my research I'm extremely confident in). I feel it will increase in value dramatically, I believe we will have at least what the US have currently available here within the next 12 months and that also would be well worth the cost. I suspect at that point they will move to a subscription model like they are in the US, which may suit a lot of people better, my other motivation is I enjoy tech and testing new things, so I'm keen to participate in the beta testing when we finally get the current versions here.

Summon and autopark are coming and will come separate from FSD as I understand it, I expect those to be available on HW4 vehicles in the next month or so, autopark on Tesla Vision is looking extremely promising, I've seen it pull of perfect parks in situations no other vehicle auto park would even attempt.

All timeframes are complete guesswork of course, nobody can tell you when things will happen and it's not even all in Tesla's hands, there are a lot of things happening all around the world with regulators becoming very interested in this tech finally and everything is looking very positive to FSD expanding worldwide in the near future.
I notice that the drivers who recommend EAP all talk about using it in the south east of Australia. Do you see it having much utility in other areas? Most of my driving is in Queensland, and outside of the south-eastern corner. The Bruce Highway up the east coast is largely one lane in each direction. I have always assumed that EAP would offer very little over AP (or TACC, really) for drivers like me.

I notice that the drivers who recommend EAP all talk about using it in the south east of Australia. Do you see it having much utility in other areas? Most of my driving is in Queensland, and outside of the south-eastern corner. The Bruce Highway up the east coast is largely one lane in each direction. I have always assumed that EAP would offer very little over AP (or TACC, really) for drivers like me.

Yeah, I've used it from CBR to BNE and back, was an older version and a 2019 vehicle, but had similar results, it was really good for that trip. I'll be doing it again in July in the new vehicle so we'll see how that goes.

Haven't tried it north of Brisbane, we may be heading up to Buderim if we get time this trip, so I'll be able to comment on that part. For single lane, yes, you are correct, there isn't really anything EAP is going to do for you that AP won't. Even when you have an overtaking lane on a single lane undivided highway, the current limitations imposed here in Australia won't let it do auto lane changes in that situation.

Slightly IT but I love how it’s called the “Bruce” highway. So Australian. We just need a “shazza” highway!

Yeah, I've used it from CBR to BNE and back, was an older version and a 2019 vehicle, but had similar results, it was really good for that trip. I'll be doing it again in July in the new vehicle so we'll see how that goes.

Haven't tried it north of Brisbane, we may be heading up to Buderim if we get time this trip, so I'll be able to comment on that part. For single lane, yes, you are correct, there isn't really anything EAP is going to do for you that AP won't. Even when you have an overtaking lane on a single lane undivided highway, the current limitations imposed here in Australia won't let it do auto lane changes in that situation.
Thanks for the reply. To be clear, though, Buderim is well and truly in south-east Queensland. You will still be seeing multi-lane separated highways there. We north Queenslanders love it when Brisbanites talk about how they have been "up north" and mean Noosa.

Crypto is a great investment.
Very OT, but like any high risk investment it can be fantastic if you do your homework and treat it accordingly and it can be horrible if you FOMO in and think you are going to make a million overnight. It's always very easy to label something a scam just because you don't understand it.

To bring it slightly back on topic, it's similar to my advice with FSD. If you are going to jump in and throw your money in expecting everything to be fully automated tomorrow, you are probably going to be dissapointed. If you do your homework and know what you are getting into, and either decide to buy it or not, you'll be much happier and well informed.

Reactions: elddum
For those who updated their MY's with the Vision Park, am I correct in assuming the blobs shown on screen include some information from the USS? Especially the front now paints orange blobs when the curb is close to the front bumper (left or right edge), I doubt its the camera that is doing this

For those who updated their MY's with the Vision Park, am I correct in assuming the blobs shown on screen include some information from the USS? Especially the front now paints orange blobs when the curb is close to the front bumper (left or right edge), I doubt its the camera that is doing this
My model 3 is vision only (no USS), paints a heat map of kerbs and anything etc quite accurately.

• Informative
Reactions: elddum and Jules22
Interesting, I'm liking the visualisation of parking lines on the screen at a car park.
Curious to know what other things might the camera (especially the HW3 version on MY) pick up that USS might not?
It picks up things that are further away than UsS can see. USS also sometimes performs poorly against curved surfaces I am still finding the Vision view hard to adjust to.

Interestingly, I just finished towing a trailer (in trailer mode) and Vision did not show the trailer, but did show the arm connecting the trailer to the car. More distant objects behind the trailer were still shown.

Interesting, I'm liking the visualisation of parking lines on the screen at a car park.
Curious to know what other things might the camera (especially the HW3 version on MY) pick up that USS might not?
Biggest limitations that USS have and Tesla Vision overcomes, kerbs as we already discussed, painted lines in a car park, situations where you have prtotrusions in walls in parking areas that your car can hit but are above waist hight, small poles (unless they are directly lined up with a USS sensor), chain link fences, etc.

There's quite a few limitations to USS.

Reactions: elddum and bsbh
Biggest limitations that USS have and Tesla Vision overcomes, kerbs as we already discussed, painted lines in a car park, situations where you have prtotrusions in walls in parking areas that your car can hit but are above waist hight, small poles (unless they are directly lined up with a USS sensor), chain link fences, etc.

There's quite a few limitations to USS.

USS was only useful to me on the front anyway, rear USS seemed totally pointless ever since vehicles had reverse cameras. For the sides, I have these things called mirrors. The Tesla vision is pretty impressive, but I'd still prefer a camera up front.

USS was only useful to me on the front anyway, rear USS seemed totally pointless ever since vehicles had reverse cameras. For the sides, I have these things called mirrors. The Tesla vision is pretty impressive, but I'd still prefer a camera up front.
correct does not need the blobs although a front camera be nice instead of mostly reversing into car spots..
I normally do not look at the screen too much in reverse, mostly done with side mirrors.
Same as the blindspot on the screen be a lot better a flashing icon in mirror like other cars.

Not sure how long before we loose the side mirrors though :) Even new Polestar has no rear window only camera

Reactions: elddum