Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I honestly don't get the perceived need for a front camera? The Model 3 at least has fantastic front visibility, haven't driven a Y, but I assume it's the same or better. There's just no world where I see a front facing camera would add any value at all for me.

Reactions: doggy1
I honestly don't get the perceived need for a front camera? The Model 3 at least has fantastic front visibility, haven't driven a Y, but I assume it's the same or better. There's just no world where I see a front facing camera would add any value at all for me.
Looking at a few FSD V12 Vision Autopark videos, it is pretty clear that front bumper camera is not needed. When the ultrasonic sensors (USS) were removed, many skeptics said that without USS, front camera is a must to restore auto park functionality for non USS cars. They have all been proven wrong. The car seems to "remember" what's in front even after it is out of sight.

Slightly IT but I love how it’s called the “Bruce” highway. So Australian. We just need a “shazza” highway!

I get irritated with "Princes Highway". At least call it Prince Highway or Princess Highway!!

Last edited:
I get irritated with "Princes Highway". At least call it Prince Highway or Princess Highway!!

OT but… the Geographic Names Board has long had a policy that there Shall Not Be Punctuation In Geographic Place Names*.

Hence Princes Highway, Milsons Point, Georges River, Surfers Paradise, St Marys, Fishermans Bend etc.

* unless it is part of a proper noun, i.e. someone’s name, such as O’Connel Plains.

The car seems to "remember" what's in front even after it is out of sight.
In a way, it does. In one of the AI Day talks (probably Andrej Karpathy), he mentions that a big improvement was feeding the NN temporal (time-based) training data, and also I believe inference data (several consecutive frames from the cameras, though I am not sure about this -- it could still be single frame, I'd have to check the video again). Although the NN itself has no concept of time, the training data does. This was also well before v12, I believe.

E: this is assuming we're talking about Tesla Vision park assist?

• Informative
Reactions: bsbh and SPadival
correct does not need the blobs although a front camera be nice instead of mostly reversing into car spots..
I normally do not look at the screen too much in reverse, mostly done with side mirrors.
Same as the blindspot on the screen be a lot better a flashing icon in mirror like other cars.

Not sure how long before we loose the side mirrors though :) Even new Polestar has no rear window only camera

Yeah, I am dreading the day we lose real mirrors. They, well, just work so well. I'll take the range hit to keep them.

Yeah, I am dreading the day we lose real mirrors. They, well, just work so well. I'll take the range hit to keep them.
How would you feel about the centre rear mirror having a feed from a rear bumper mounted camera?
It would take a little getting used to but might be an improvement from having to look past any boof heads sitting in the back seat. And maybe give a better field of view?

Reactions: elddum
How would you feel about the centre rear mirror having a feed from a rear bumper mounted camera?
My ICE 4x4 ute has one of those. When I mounted a camper canopy on the rear tray, the rear view mirror became a garden gnome with no purpose. So I fitted a rear dash cam screen which is the same shape as the rear view mirror which just clips over it. It's great until the camera gets covered in grime/mud, so it just needs to be cleaned like any reversing camera does. Unfortunately it doesn't dim quite enough at night, but that's just the particular model not being designed quite well enough. It also takes a bit of getting used to at night, because the brake lights and rear indicators cause a bit of a light show in the camera. Also, the headlights of closely following cars tend to blind it because of the height where it is located - if it was mounted higher up it would be out of the normal low-beam dazzle of following traffic and would work better. Fortunately it has a button on the lower rim and is easy to turn off and on. I sometimes turn it off at night when I get annoyed with it.

So, based on that experience, a camera system would need to be very well designed to cope with night driving to be an acceptable replacement of a mirror.

Last edited:
It would take a little getting used to but might be an improvement from having to look past any boof heads sitting in the back seat. And maybe give a better field of view?

Look, I could probably deal with that, I have driven so many vans in my life that rear view mirrors are not a complete must have. There have been some vehicles that give you a choice between mirror and camera by flicking a switch, can't remember which ones (EDIT, the Nissan Ayria). The camera obviously has a wider view too. Saying that, I try to get vans with liftback rear doors because of the magnificent rear view compared to barn doors (Also offers some nice rain and sun protection, but not so good for other non trade uses such as couriers)

My biggest issue is the fact that the side mirrors are just replaced with a screen, sure, the view is just as good, but the screen is distraction to me, its not the same as a mirror, which is "real". Never seen one at night, but suspect the backlighting would just be another distraction. Old fashioned analogue instruments are less annoying than screens at night, Tesla does a decent job of getting the screen colours however, and obvious screens offer a vast array of information like mapping.

Last edited:
Reactions: dronus
Look, I could probably deal with that, I have driven so many vans in my life that rear view mirrors are not a complete must have. There have been some vehicles that give you a choice between mirror and camera by flicking a switch, can't remember which ones (EDIT, the Nissan Ayria). The camera obviously has a wider view too. Saying that, I try to get vans with liftback rear doors because of the magnificent rear view compared to barn doors (Also offers some nice rain and sun protection, but not so good for other non trade uses such as couriers)

My biggest issue is the fact that the side mirrors are just replaced with a screen, sure, the view is just as good, but the screen is distraction to me, its not the same as a mirror, which is "real". Never seen one at night, but suspect the backlighting would just be another distraction. Old fashioned analogue instruments are less annoying than screens at night, Tesla does a decent job of getting the screen colours however, and obvious screens offer a vast array of information like mapping.
All very good points, thank you for sharing them.
I haven’t driven a car with a lcd screen/camera for a rear mirror. I’d imagine the transition would be easier if the perspective/arc of fire was similar, but as mentioned above if it captures other stuff at a wider angle it might be a distraction (when travelling forwards).

So my first try with the new visualisations led me to the best feature about it. That feature is to turn it off.
View attachment 1049781

Funny, I was quite impressed with how good it was, and then too, also switched it off. The rear view camera plus mirrors is perfect. And because I have USS, the front is covered. The rear USS do nothing for me, but the fronts are useful. Again, a camera would be good for the front. This seems only useful for FSD and those cars without front USS.

I am happy however that Tesla has given us the choice to see how both systems work.