Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed x.14.7 and before I'd driven it x14.8 turned up, bug fix of some secret and hopefully minor type

Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 9.49.35 PM.png

2019 M3P FSD

Reactions: moa999 and dronus
Soon we can spot 🦘 around the curve.😎

Source: 2024.20 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates

Adaptive Headlight Improvements​

Tesla Adaptive Headlight Improvements feature in update 2024.20

Availability unknown in Australia
Models: New S 3 New X Y
Matrix Headlights
Headlights now adapts for curves in the road ahead of you and illuminate farther when you’re driving on a motorway.
Enable these features in your vehicle settings at Lights > Adaptive Headlights.

I have to say, the adaptive headlights are exceptional, one of the best enhancements I’ve seen. I would have never guessed when picking up the car 12 months ago that it could continue to get better by such a large margin, this features has exceeded my expectations. I remember all the debate about people holding out for cars with matrix headlights when they were new, those who waited would be very lucky.

far too slow for metro use IMO.
I have to say my experience is very different. If anything I think it is a little too quick to block out- certainly earlier than I would if doing it manually.
I LOVE how it is able to deal with multiple cars spaced apart, lighting the verges AND the gaps between cars. If there is too much traffic, it just drops to low beam.
I’m in Canberra, so not sure if the road/traffic differences may be at play. At this time of year it is a godsend here to help pickup roo’s hiding on front lawns and verges!

I have no comparison to others tho- my last car was 2014 X3 with just standard bi-xenon lights.

I have to say my experience is very different. If anything I think it is a little too quick to block out- certainly earlier than I would if doing it manually.
I LOVE how it is able to deal with multiple cars spaced apart, lighting the verges AND the gaps between cars. If there is too much traffic, it just drops to low beam.
I’m in Canberra, so not sure if the road/traffic differences may be at play. At this time of year it is a godsend here to help pickup roo’s hiding on front lawns and verges!

I have no comparison to others tho- my last car was 2014 X3 with just standard bi-xenon lights.
Have to agree with you, it's more accurate than BMW's I've driven and quicker to respond.

I've used it fairly extensively through CBR, MEL and ADL as well as on the trip from MEL to ADL through the night on highways and remote roads.

Also agree it's a godsend around here with all the roo's!

Fantastic that it will be upgraded even further with the cornering improvements coming in 2024.20.x

Have to agree with you, it's more accurate than BMW's I've driven and quicker to respond.

I've used it fairly extensively through CBR, MEL and ADL as well as on the trip from MEL to ADL through the night on highways and remote roads.

Also agree it's a godsend around here with all the roo's!

Fantastic that it will be upgraded even further with the cornering improvements coming in 2024.20.x
I have only used it around town, but find it a nicer experience, even just by reducing glare reflecting off signs. I first saw it in action when an oncoming model 3 dipped it's right-hand headlight to avoid blinding me. It was nice and quick. Overall, this looks like one of the better features added since I got the car nearly a year ago.

Reactions: Jules22
I’ve never been flashed once
Just be aware some will flash you just because they see the bright lights heading out to the left (which aren't blinding them) and there's a very obvious blackout all around their car.

You'll always get the odd moron who doesn't understand adaptive lights and will flash you just because they think you haven't dimmed without stopping to think and realise that the light has been blocked out towards them. I've had this sort of system in 4 different cars now, even when some of the earlier ones dimmed one whole light, you'd still get the odd idiot who'd go mental.

Nope. It will happen when it happens, just gotta be patient.

A very timely post that explains the complexity of software update process.

Elon Musk mentioned on X that FSD V12.4 should be the update the reduces FSD branching and will bring everyone to FSD V12 in general. 2024.9.5 is the FSD V12.4 update, and it looks like vehicles that are below that branch number should be collectively receiving the reduced-nag V12.4 update.

When we finally receive FSD V12.4, we’ll likely need to hang on for a little longer until FSD V12.4.1 or FSD V12.5 rolls along to have the Spring Update.

Reactions: dronus
Hm. If there's no perceived dimming to oncoming traffic (i.e. they flash at you), then the dimming hasn't worked, even though you *think* it may have worked. Perhaps your lights are not leveled right? It's like arguing with your wife. You can be right all day long, it's their perception that matters, not the facts. ;)

At night on remote highways - which often are undulating so you can see traffic shine their brights into the sky before you blind them/they blind you - it's common courtesy to go off the high beams before they (or you) pop over the crest. And for trucks who sit a lot higher than their headlights, even earlier so. Adaptive high beams most likely do not do that. I'll let out a cry of child-like joy if I'm corrected otherwise here!

I'll repeat what I've repeated countless times: Automation in safety critical environments must be a) reliable, b) resilient, and c) perform to an equal or better standard than manual operation.

Any automation rolled out in perma-beta fashion needs to have a manual override that is in no way inferior as old style manual operation.

The adaptive headlights are an improvement from a low baseline. Headlights are still crap and patchy compared to many other cars I’ve had. The blanking is very slow too, might be ok on country roads with minimal traffic, but it’s far too slow for metro use IMO.

I think the adaptive is great, but like you, the lights are very patchy. I haven't found them slow to operate though, that part is fine.

How would you feel about the centre rear mirror having a feed from a rear bumper mounted camera?
A few other models have this already. I've never driven a car with this, so I'm not really sure what the experience is like. I can imagine that it would be disconcerting if you move your head a bit to the side and the view doesn't change. Unless there is some fancy eye-tracking technology! (Alternatively, if the camera display is fish-eyed enough you wouldn't have a need to move your head to see everything).