Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any one else tested the at home logic? I have disabled walkaway lock when at home, which suits me living on a farm. However I parked it 300m away from home and left in their for 24 hours. when I returned I was surprised find it had not locked, when I left. Another location on the farm I frequent is 450m away and it always Walkaway locks there. Will be more careful from now on.

Any one else tested the at home logic? I have disabled walkaway lock when at home, which suits me living on a farm. However I parked it 300m away from home and left in their for 24 hours. when I returned I was surprised find it had not locked, when I left. Another location on the farm I frequent is 450m away and it always Walkaway locks there. Will be more careful from now on.
I haven’t tested the at-home logic, but I’m paranoid about whether my Model 3 can still “see” my phone after walk-away lock has operated. If your phone’s Bluetooth lists a random alphanumeric as a connected Bluetooth device, then someone can still walk up to your car and open it. So if I ever get “rock star” parking at a venue, I always check my phone after sitting down, and if the random alphanumeric is still showing as connected, I turn Bluetooth off. The number of times I need to do this is surprising.

I havnt tested it beyond home, and to be fair if I need to go anywhere within 1km I’ll always walk. I have ample secure parking so never need to leave my car out front on the street.
Regardless though I never trust auto locking. I always turn around after walking off to make sure the handles are in and mirror folded.

I haven’t tested the at-home logic, but I’m paranoid about whether my Model 3 can still “see” my phone after walk-away lock has operated. If your phone’s Bluetooth lists a random alphanumeric as a connected Bluetooth device, then someone can still walk up to your car and open it. So if I ever get “rock star” parking at a venue, I always check my phone after sitting down, and if the random alphanumeric is still showing as connected, I turn Bluetooth off. The number of times I need to do this is surprising.

That's not how it works - being connected to Bluetooth isn't enough to make the car open, it also tests proximity of the connected Bluetooth device in some fashion. My phone can be inside the house and connected to the car's Bluetooth, but the doors don't open because it's too far away.

Reactions: Flatbat
That's not how it works - being connected to Bluetooth isn't enough to make the car open, it also tests proximity of the connected Bluetooth device in some fashion. My phone can be inside the house and connected to the car's Bluetooth, but the doors don't open because it's too far away.
My Model 3 makes two Bluetooth connections - one called “Tesla Model 3” which is used for things like connecting audio from your phone to the car. But there is also a random 18 digit alpha-numeric ID which is used a key to unlock the car if your phone is close to the car, is recognised by the car as a key, and the authentication handshake occurs. This ‘device’ is not persistent and will disappear from the list of connected devices when not actually connected.

It’s the latter one you need to worry about. It’s presence is a necessary (but not sufficient) condition for the car to be unlockable. There is also a proximity measurement as you note, but that measurement is not exactly predictable because it’s radio based, and there is no way of knowing just looking at your phone whether your car is unlockable or not. It might be, or might not. I prefer to not take the risk.

I have unlocked my car with my phone not in my possession, 4 metres away from the car on the other side of a timber wall. Give your phone to a friend or family member and do some tests to see how far away they can be from the car (in various directions) and you still being able to unlock it.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Sounds like you are over thinking it. The horn only lets out a blip. No law is going to care about that.
I’m in a state where they litterally fine you at a maccas drivethrough for paying with your phone, because the law says you cannot use a phone unless parked and engine off. There have also been plenty of honking tickets issued in SA, with many complaining it was just a quick toot to a friend driving past, whilst parked. So no not over thinking it. I read last week that someone has now been fined for drinking water whilst driving. Too distracting apparently. Its a big part of state revenue here.

The engine is always off in a Tesla!!! ;)
Yes I dont think they’ve tested a tesla driver yet.....could be interesting, although a lot of cops are fascinated by tesla. I’ve been pulled over twice just for a chat about the car, (plus two chats at a servo) No licence, drug, or alcohol check. I offered a drag race as a demo but was politely declined.

• Funny
Reactions: m4rtin and AndyEV