Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone is an "expert" and wants Tesla to take a different approach. As I said barking up the wrong tree - that's what Tesla is invested in
I never claimed to be an expert and never said I wanted Tesla to take a different approach. My point was just that your suggestion to add another camera focussed on the windscreen solely for rain detection doesn't make sense (to me at least, IMHO, etc). If you have a different opinion, that's fine. No point in discussing this further and it is not really on topic for this thread anyway, so let's leave it there, shall we?

As I said before, we'll just leave it there shall we?
My contributions are not dependant on anyone else.
My point is regardless of what technology other manufacturers have employed for the wiper and other functions, it's a moot point - "barking up the wrong tree" because Tesla appears to be completely invested in camera only sensors and/or using unique technology - stalkless etc.
In that case an extra camera focused on the windscreen may be the way forward within a camera only ecosystem. But that goes against Elon's mantra of using less parts.

In any case my experience has been positive but YMMV

Don't be so down on yourselves. Your opinions are just as valid as those of the Tesla employees under whose watch the features we have to contend with have been developed. Most - if not all - of those on the software side of Tesla know as much about automotive engineering as our merry little group here. Yet Tesla refuses to acknowledge that they're primarily a software development shop. The cars are almost a side product.

If I had it my way, Tesla would license drive train, motor, battery, and DAS technology to manufacturers that build a better car. Still dreaming of a Tesla with Range Rover build and suspension quality.

• Funny
Reactions: STUtoday
I personally care less about the technology in use and more about how it functions for the user. If a Tesla's combination of cameras, a touch screen interface and scroll wheel controls results in a better driving experience than other cars, that's great. It is reasonable, however, for users to point out when the experience of specific features is inferior to cars made 10-20 years ago.

So many of these conversations end up like this:
A: "This sucks. I have to manually control my wipers every 15 seconds when it rains. It was much easier in other cars I have owned.
B: "You need to understand that Tesla uses magic tech gubbins to do it better, and they update it all the time."
A: "I know, that's what I thought I was buying, but this shouldn't be on the market, it's worse than other cars which allow a quick flick of a control to solve the problem".
B: "Tesla doesn't do physical controls."
A: "Yes, and the Tesla UI that replaces that it worse than physical controls."
B: "But it keeps getting better. Upcoming update 2026.18.17.a.$@& will include the substance matrix from the divergent branch of the Zeldark sector, and that might make the cameras see around corners."
A: "Ok. I am talking about the car now. It doesn't work the way it should."
B: "You haters always think you know better than real engineers. You don't."
A: "I know how it feels to use the car. The wipers are much worse than my Fordota Jalopy (tm) from 2010."
B: "Stop thinking you know more than Tesla about car design.....you just don't know how to drive properly....etc"

Model 3 with 2024.14.9 here. Hands free trunk stopped working after updating the Tesla app to 4.34.0. It used to work in 4.33.5 although it is not working very consistently.
Mine stopped working before i updated the app, OMG i had to actually press a button... (see above hahaha)

Good side was it doesnt annoy me with beeping when i walk past it to unplug form the charger.. glass half full :)

Reactions: coldwaves
Mine stopped working before i updated the app, OMG i had to actually press a button... (see above hahaha)

Good side was it doesnt annoy me with beeping when i walk past it to unplug form the charger.. glass half full :)
Mine was working maybe 1 out of 4 or 5 times before I updated the Tesla app. It was not consistent at all. Now it totally stopped working. Well, I can push the button to open the trunk......

Reactions: dronus
Mine was working maybe 1 out of 4 or 5 times before I updated the Tesla app. It was not consistent at all. Now it totally stopped working. Well, I can push the button to open the trunk......
I actually prefer the button. Horses for courses i suppose. I dont use the boot often enough to warrent needing it to open by itself.
Nice feature, its good that they let you turn it on or off.

Reactions: JonDarian
Not sure if its related but has anyone else noticed that after 2024.20.1 the auto lock on walk away takes longer?
I don't think its a bad thing as it doesn't lock in-between putting my bag in the back and walking to the drivers door. Might be a longer tolerance in the proximity using the phone key (iPhone).
I guess i just got used to hearing the tivo bop when i got a set distance away from the car, and now its x+1. Not a big deal, just an observation.

Not sure if its related but has anyone else noticed that after 2024.20.1 the auto lock on walk away takes longer?
I don't think its a bad thing as it doesn't lock in-between putting my bag in the back and walking to the drivers door. Might be a longer tolerance in the proximity using the phone key (iPhone).
I guess i just got used to hearing the tivo bop when i got a set distance away from the car, and now its x+1. Not a big deal, just an observation.
For me it was a couple of updates earlier but not 20.1. But in any case, it still locks sometimes when I'm around my car for an extended period of time putting stuff in the fronk etc. windows xp shutting down here (which actually didn't attract as much attention as I thought probably because I had to tune down the volume in Audacity).

Haven't noticed specifically, but I wonder if this is related to the new touchless boot open feature?

Interesting.. not related to a Tesla update, but I recently replaced my iPhone SE (2nd gen) with an iPhone 14 and I've noticed it now takes a shorter time to activate! Presumably related to the sensitivity of Bluetooth transmitter used by the phone?

Interesting.. not related to a Tesla update, but I recently replaced my iPhone SE (2nd gen) with an iPhone 14 and I've noticed it now takes a shorter time to activate! Presumably related to the sensitivity of Bluetooth transmitter used by the phone?
I have an iphone 14pro, all a bit random but not really a big deal.
Was driving with some first time tesla n00bs today and (after doing the obligatory show them how to open the door) they loved it. They usually drive BMW and Audis but they were loving the Tesla experience.
That new v14 software is pretty snazzy :)

Just back from 700km with 20.1 and 2024-14 Nav:

1. As others have found, Speed cameras and alert are back. Also average speed feature now working again.
2. Some REALLY lousy weather and wipers were great. Now better than my Zoe which has rain sensors.
3. Mine is now showing brake lights well but no turn indicators. I'm on Intel Atom.......
4. TACC & AP good, probably about the same as previously for me- zero complaints.
5. i do not seem to get any Sentry messages each time I come back to the car. Not yet had time to investigate this. Odd.

Really noticing the extra EVs. Had to queue for 12mins before charging at Exeter. Queues also at Canberra Airport, Tuggeranong and Goulburn over the weekend. Poor non Teslas at Exeter- half the Evies were out and the working ones fully utilised.

Another 700kms coming up on Thursday so I'll be very content with the current software.

Definitely still getting sentry messages here.

Could it be that it just didn't get triggered?
Thanks. Good to know. I'll do a thorough test and check tomorrow. Since 20.1 I've been parked in busy places about 10 times and none of the normal Sentry notifications.

But the big news I forgot, overtook about 15 Sydney buses on Friday/Saturday/today and NOT ONE was detected as a 40km/hr speed sign. So maybe this annoying glitch is now fixed.