Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Springfield, VA is pretty urban, and might not meet with Tesla's objectives. Woodbridge, VA (near Potomac Mills Mall) might be more in line with what they typically do for locations.

It is, however, outside the DC metropolitan limits, at the junction of major corridors, and approximately 80-90 miles from the supercharger outside Richmond, and about 110 miles from the supercharger in Delaware.... around the halfway point.

Moving it farther South to Woodbridge, would make it only about 60-70 miles or so from Richmond SC.. and subsequently farther from DE. that would seem odd positioning. It would also remove it from being easily accessible to people travelling the I-495 beltway to/from 66 or 50 going East/West or branching up 395 in to DC.

Or install more charging stations... If demand is high and drawing in customers, increase supply. Or if people hogging charging spots is an issue, make it clear that parking while not charging is not tolerated and if parking there, you must register your car with the hotel.

Lots of solutions, the best one is probably some combination of the above.

Agree. Adding more chargers is the solution and enforcing parking along with honoring reservations for charging spots and times. With a Clipper Creek J1772 station (I have no financial interest in Clipper Creek, just like their stations and have used them throughout California), all EVs can use them. Make at least one of them 70A so MS with dual chargers and Roadsters can take advantage of them. Shorter charging times for MS and Roadsters benefits all and keep the chargers more available for everyone. The difference between a Clipper Creek 70A and a HPWC is negligible, so why not use the former so Roadsters and other cars can use it too.

Agree. Adding more chargers is the solution and enforcing parking along with honoring reservations for charging spots and times. With a Clipper Creek J1772 station (I have no financial interest in Clipper Creek, just like their stations and have used them throughout California), all EVs can use them. Make at least one of them 70A so MS with dual chargers and Roadsters can take advantage of them. Shorter charging times for MS and Roadsters benefits all and keep the chargers more available for everyone. The difference between a Clipper Creek 70A and a HPWC is negligible, so why not use the former so Roadsters and other cars can use it too.
I think there is a big difference in cost to Tesla between the HPWC, and Clipper Creek units.

1 in Homestead FL will add key west and one up north will add NH but Maine will not be covered to the top until late next year. So 5 total will do Key West to Montreal.

Once they're in (and they put something in PA & WNY) I think I might have to plan a roadtrip down to Florida. :) Look like it won't happen this winter however. That's ok, my youngest is still only 18 months. Maybe next year!

Does Clipper Creek make the HPWC for Tesla? The 70A CC unit is somewhere around $2100 retail.

Tesla could easily put a J1772 head on their HPWC to offer an 80 Amp J1772 EVSE. I have heard that there is a firmware upgrade about to come out that will let a Roadster charge at 70 Amps when 80 Amps is offered. With that fix for the Roadster, an 80 Amp J1772 makes sense to support all Teslas and be a good neighbor to other EV's. However, I doubt that we will ever see Tesla helping with the install of J1772 EVSE's.

Would this prevent non-Teslas from charging? I would hate to see it get overwhelmed by PHEVs. I do think it would be really good of Tesla to do something for the roadster owners.
Tesla could easily put a J1772 head on their HPWC to offer an 80 Amp J1772 EVSE. I have heard that there is a firmware upgrade about to come out that will let a Roadster charge at 70 Amps when 80 Amps is offered. With that fix for the Roadster, an 80 Amp J1772 makes sense to support all Teslas and be a good neighbor to other EV's. However, I doubt that we will ever see Tesla helping with the install of J1772 EVSE's.

I'm doubtful that PHEVs are going to overwhelm hotel charging spots anytime soon!
I think the real key for hotels is to offer ESVEs that can be reserved overnight, for example when the guest makes a room reservation. Normally, public charge stations don't allow reservations, and for good reason: there is no easy way to enforce a rule against no-shows. But a hotel can treat an ESVE reservation the same as it treats a room reservation, and with that, the guest can be confident of having a place to charge overnight when a charge is essential.

Worthington, MN is under construction and Albert Lea, MN has been confirmed.

Tesla Supercharge station under construction in Worthington; first in state | KWOA 730 AM News Radio

Great News!

Living in Colorado, I am really only interested in West of the Mississippi. With this Minnesota news here is a go on how Elon will get from SoCal to the Mississippi. My best guess based on installs, announcements, rumor, innuendo, intelligent guesses, and gut feel is:
Hawthorne, CA to Tomah, WI - Google Maps

Elon Route.jpg