Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd say crippling the potential charge rate of their own cars just to accommodate other cars may not promote EV's that well in the long run, along with being a poor business decision. Tesla is showing the potential of a better EV, I think over all that's beneficial.

Agreed, there is a very strong argument that there is no standard that matches Teslas's proprietary Supercharger for DC, but I don't see a reason other than short term advantage to not use a standard AC adapter, i.e. J1772.
The other reason is that TM makes the HPWC, so it can afford to distribute them at cost, whereas it would need to go out and purchase the J1772 charging stations. Nothing prevents the hotels from putting in their own J1772 stations.

Am I the only one that finds the Tesla program for hotels a bit weak and diluted? My initial understanding of the program (obviously incorrect) was that if a hotel were to make an HPWC public access AND foot the bill for electricity, Tesla would provide one for free. This makes perfect sense to me as it helps fill in the gaps of the SC network at a fraction of the cost. It's a win, win.

Correct me if there is evidence to the contrary, but I don't see many hotels installing 4, let alone a single HPWC. There simply aren't enough Teslas on the road to merit 4 HPWCs in one location. Buy 2 get 2 free seems like a weak incentive. Get 1 free and foot all associated costs seems like a great incentive.

Am I the only one that finds the Tesla program for hotels a bit weak and diluted? My initial understanding of the program (obviously incorrect) was that if a hotel were to make an HPWC public access AND foot the bill for electricity, Tesla would provide one for free. This makes perfect sense to me as it helps fill in the gaps of the SC network at a fraction of the cost. It's a win, win.

Correct me if there is evidence to the contrary, but I don't see many hotels installing 4, let alone a single HPWC. There simply aren't enough Teslas on the road to merit 4 HPWCs in one location. Buy 2 get 2 free seems like a weak incentive. Get 1 free and foot all associated costs seems like a great incentive.
It's certainly possible that I misheard or misunderstood Kevin. It does seem a little much to expect a hotel to install four of these things. I'll try sending him an email to get some clarification.

I agree completely. Putting in a 100-Amp circuit to the HPWC location can easily equal the price of an HPWC. Tesla should just have a little process such that if the business installs the HPWC, makes it public access, and offers it to its customers for free, that would be a fair.

Let the business charge up to $X/hr ($5/hr ?) for public, non-customer access; that's fair also.

I think hotels could/should put in J1772 stations. Why would a hotel alienate 3/4 of the EV drivers including Roadster owners. J1772 is almost as fast as the Tesla HPWC and can be used by all. If Tesla's goal it to really promote mass adoption I think this is a step backward

I think hotels could/should put in J1772 stations. Why would a hotel alienate 3/4 of the EV drivers including Roadster owners. J1772 is almost as fast as the Tesla HPWC and can be used by all. If Tesla's goal it to really promote mass adoption I think this is a step backward

I totally agree, attempting to promote a proprietary standard is very likely a total loser. Anyway, AFAIK they are the same capacity, both 70A, although most installed J1772 stations in the US are 30A. In any event most EV's, including Teslas with single chargers, can't handle 70A. For overnight charging, 30A is enough for almost all cases anyway, and the 30A chargers are a whole lot cheaper than HPWC's.

The problem with Tesla putting up the crappy J1772 standard, is every charger will be taken by hybrids like the plug in prius or volt. No EV driver wants to plan a trip, only to get to their charging destination and find the above scenario.

Hang on ... Tesla currently makes HPWCs without J1772 connector. It is offering these stations at half price for sufficient volume (buy 2, get 2 free) ... so basically at or just below cost. No other vehicle manufacturer that I'm aware of (and I might not know about them) offers something like this. And some people are upset that Tesla doesn't accommodate the J1772 standard?

I agree that it makes more sense for a hotel to install a 30A charger. But I don't think it makes sense for Tesla to offer a J1772 option.

Simple - you are reserving a room, simply ask the hotel reserve a charging spot for you too.
Or install more charging stations... If demand is high and drawing in customers, increase supply. Or if people hogging charging spots is an issue, make it clear that parking while not charging is not tolerated and if parking there, you must register your car with the hotel.

Lots of solutions, the best one is probably some combination of the above.

The problem with Tesla putting up the crappy J1772 standard, is every charger will be taken by hybrids like the plug in prius or volt. No EV driver wants to plan a trip, only to get to their charging destination and find the above scenario.

Exactly. Hotels should understand that Tesla owners are a good potential customer base. If that sounds snooty...I don't have a problem with that.

Reserve a room and get a charger reserved for you as well! That's just good marketing.

I think the forest is being lost in the trees here... There are currently multiple competing standards. Tesla long term doesn't want to be just a car company, that's just a means to an end (and a great one that will be profitable in it's own right). Tesla wants to be the standard. THe income through licensing alone will pay off, and the add that to the cost per charge that non tesla owners will pay to charge/swap, and tesla is a power company, not a car company. Tesla and solar city have comparable interests and will team nicely long term if not even merge.

Then tesla will control both the money transacted in the purchase of most if not all cars on the road, and they will also control the fueling structure similar to what the oil companies have today in their control of gas stations.

this is also why the stock valuation is so misleading.

Last edited:
Springfield would be about half way from Newark to Glen Allen and right at I-95, I-395, I-495 and I-295 intersection. But you are right not MD. IMHO north side of the beltway is pretty close to Newark and mostly wasted unless it promotes travel to western MD. Frederick, MD might be a bit more realistic from Newark. That would get you to all of western MD, Altoona PA, Somerset PA and Harrisburg.

Springfield, VA is pretty urban, and might not meet with Tesla's objectives. Woodbridge, VA (near Potomac Mills Mall) might be more in line with what they typically do for locations.

Springfield, VA is pretty urban, and might not meet with Tesla's objectives. Woodbridge, VA (near Potomac Mills Mall) might be more in line with what they typically do for locations.

Springfield Mall is in the process of being redeveloped, and there are a number of strip malls in that area. I agree that Woodbridge might be more in line with where they typically site chargers, but I can think of several places in Springfield that might be a good fit.

Springfield Mall is in the process of being redeveloped, and there are a number of strip malls in that area. I agree that Woodbridge might be more in line with where they typically site chargers, but I can think of several places in Springfield that might be a good fit.

Please, no, not Springfield. What a mess of an area for getting on and off the highway in that perpetual traffic snarl. The redesigned junction 10 years ago reduced but certainly didn't solve the problem. I agree that farther south would be better.