Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quartzite AZ looks like it will have 8 bays. I called and asked someone to take pictures for us.

Great news! Unfortunately, LA to Quartzite is still 255 miles. This SC does will not help getting us to Phoenix without another near Palm Springs. My guess is that there is another SC in the works so that both are launched close to each other.

The other two that will get us to and from Phoenix-Los Angeles should be Indio CA (near Jackson St and I-10) and Ontario CA, Oxnard CA also. I don't know the exact location of either one but the locations dots are on the supercharger wall map at Hawthorne CA (SpacEx). Others in Arizona will be Yuma AZ (their permits are ready to be picked up)... and guesses.... Buckeye AZ, Gila Bend AZ, Casa Grande AZ, Kingman AZ, Wickenburg AZ, Show Low AZ..... and I've heard from Tesla .....near "Four Corners".

Construction photos at Vacaville on 11/5 - pavement torn up and trenching started!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383789217.516957.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383789236.667075.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383789244.850006.jpg

Location updated on Plugshare and Recargo (Plugshare would not let me pick Supercharger only HPWC for some reason)

So, given the Vacaville SC won't be open in time, anyone familiar with this nearby site:

Bella Vista Road Park & Ride - Vacaville

That seems to have a lot of high-powered chargers, that Leafs and such flock to. Anyone charged their S there? J1772 adapter, ya think?
I've seen one S charging there, a 60 from Washington state. There are a few plugs (not as many as the overhead view might misconstrue, like 3 or 4) and a chademo. There are also plugs at the outlet where the supercharger is (some old and definitely working, others new and perhaps not christened yet). There is at least one plug on the other side of 80 near rubios and five guys.... Or just pm me, and perhaps we can work out something and you can use my hpwc. I'm sure there are other plugs around town, as I'm just now noticing how many there are.

I saw the guys again today, but I hadn't read the posts that request info yet. I'll try and get answers next week. Sorry.

after talking to him, i would expect 50 more by the end of the year. Optimistic, but it sounds like things are really ramping up.

I can believe that, but given the "we go where the paperwork is easy" policy, I can also expect that all 50 of those will be clustered in states which already have Superchargers, and that there will be huge gaps in the network at the end of the year.

Oh well. I planned my winter Michigan trip assuming that the Supercharger deployment map was a mirage, and it probably will be a mirage.

If the Manteca supercharger is not at this location (link below), I'll eat my hat. It's a shopping center off Highway 120 just off Highway 5, 176 miles from Corning (They are supposedly adding a second Supercharger in either Woodland, CA next to In N Out where there is currently a Roadster charger, or Dunnigan probably in the Motel 6 lot next to Jack In The Box), and 130 miles from Harris Ranch. Zoom out and look at all the solar panels on the roofs of Costco and Kohls! Nearby Chilis, Starbucks, Subway, etc.

37.784569,-121.254333 - Google Maps

If the Manteca supercharger is not at this location in Manteca, I'll eat my hat. It's a mall off Highway 120 just off Highway 5, 176 miles from Corning (They are supposedly adding a second Supercharger in Woodland, CA next to In N Out where there is currently a Roadster charger), and 130 miles from Harris Ranch. Zoom out and look at all the solar panels on the roofs of Costco and Kohls! Nearby Chilis, Starbucks, Subway, etc.

I just drove past there yesterday looking for signs of construction...no signs of construction. I drove past all possible sites.

Drove from San Diego to Silicon Valley yesterday.

Hawthorne at 5am. Empty. Pullled into a spot, started charging. After about 2 minutes, this:

tms01.jpg

Car stopped charging suddenly. I am glad I was IN the car when it happened. "Cable fault" -- ??? Got out, noticed a red glow at the charge port. Never had a red glow before. Replaced the charger, moved car to another spot, charged again without incident. Always somethin' at Hawthorne...

Tejon Ranch at 7am. Empty. ~320mi/hr charge. Nice.

Harris Ranch at 9am-ish. Empty. ~330mi/hr charge. Nice. The cattle stench wasn't so bad this time, but I did smell it in the car for hours. One thing I did notice about Harris, and Tejon too for that matter ---- the car's cooling system kicked in something FIERCE this time. I mean the battery cooler was screamin'. Louder than I've ever heard it before when the A/C was on. And, I noticed the car felt warm. It was like the superchargers were really heating up the battery this time. Dumb theory: didn't use A/C the whole trip, unlike prev trips when I've had it on the whole time. Maybe battery gets hotter if A/C not on? Whatever it is, I've noticed that the car's cooling system seriously kicks into gear and stays at a super high state whenever the miles/hr charge level gets over 300.

Gilroy, 11am. Only 3 chargers functioning, one blocked off with a cone. 2 already in use. I got last spot.

tms03.jpg

The good news is, they've made progress in the much-needed expansion:

tms02.jpg

Also checked in to Fremont. More chargers, yay! However, all were in use. Place was busy! And I was goetting about 215mi/hr charge... not that I needed a lot, but still... Fremont's slow. And of course, while waiting there, new customers came up -- always the blue car seems to do it. They've ordered a blue, or are thinking of a blue, etc, etc, so I give 'em the tour of the car, answer questions, etc, etc. Part of the job of ownership :)

One final note -- I've never been more alert for road debris than on this trip. Kinda glad I didn't buy air suspension...

If the Manteca supercharger is not at this location (link below), I'll eat my hat. It's a shopping center off Highway 120 just off Highway 5, 176 miles from Corning (They are supposedly adding a second Supercharger in either Woodland, CA next to In N Out where there is currently a Roadster charger, or Dunnigan probably in the Motel 6 lot next to Jack In The Box), and 130 miles from Harris Ranch. Zoom out and look at all the solar panels on the roofs of Costco and Kohls! Nearby Chilis, Starbucks, Subway, etc.

dbfish, I agree. When I did a scouting mission for the Manteca SC, that shopping center was my top candidate. I think the SC will either be where you show it on the map, or a little to the ENE in that shopping center, on the other side of the dirt area. Either way, a great location for a SC. It would serve Highway 99 and trips to Yosemite, as well as I-5.

as reported by MCORNWELL .....in the Arizona supercharger thread:

“I can confirm that we will be opening a Supercharger in Holbrook in the next few months,” said Alexis Georgeson of Tesla Motors Communications. “We place Superchargers along major corridors that our customers often travel and that connect city centers.”
Georgeson said Tesla Motors is focused on providing free long distance travel across the country.
“The opening of our Holbrook Supercharger and the additional five stations slated to open in Arizona in coming months are a testament to our dedication to the market and the strength of our customer base in the area,” Georgeson said. “Many of these Arizona Supercharger stations, including Holbrook, will support the cross-country route from Los Angeles to New York, which will be completed by the end of 2013.”

as reported by MCORNWELL .....in the Arizona supercharger thread:

“I can confirm that we will be opening a Supercharger in Holbrook in the next few months,” said Alexis Georgeson of Tesla Motors Communications. “We place Superchargers along major corridors that our customers often travel and that connect city centers.”
Georgeson said Tesla Motors is focused on providing free long distance travel across the country.
“The opening of our Holbrook Supercharger and the additional five stations slated to open in Arizona in coming months are a testament to our dedication to the market and the strength of our customer base in the area,” Georgeson said. “Many of these Arizona Supercharger stations, including Holbrook, will support the cross-country route from Los Angeles to New York, which will be completed by the end of 2013.”

For accuracy, here's the link to the article: AzJournal.com » Tesla Electric Car Charging Station To Be Built In Holbrook

Given the Indio projections, the Quartzite progress, the Holbrook news, the Tesla Supercharger map, and the Farmington, NM news, here is my educated guess for the start of Elon's Spring Break trip. A Flagstaff Supercharger would let Elon do a nice out and back to the Grand Canyon! This would work well for many other MS owners to do the same thing in future years, and add a nice Supercharger spot on I-40. Hawthorne, CA to Farmington, NM - Google Maps

I have been thinking a lot about this, because when its in place, I want to do the reverse direction from my house in Pagosa Springs, CO to SoCal with my son. If anyone wants to try it towards Pagosa Springs, there is a public, 70-Amp, J1772 there for your pleasure... :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

So a new East Coast Supercharger showed up on the Tesla Supercharger Page. Is it the Burlington NC Supercharger or is it the Rocky Mount Supercharger?

Last edited:
Mitchell, South Dakota under construction! Six charging bays. Three weeks to finish. Rapid City to follow. Thanks to Tam on the Tesla forums.

KELOLAND.com | Electric Car Charging Station Being Built In SD

Great info! Thanks!

So there has to be another dot between Rapid City and Mitchell, SD. I-90 in that region is pretty empty. How about Murdo, SD; it looks pretty close to the dot on the Tesla Supercharger Page. See Rapid City, SD to Mitchell, SD - Google Maps for details.

The dots are starting to fill in for Elon's Spring Break Family Trip! :biggrin:

Anyone want to speculate on the two dots between Fort Collins, CO and Rapid City, SD? How about this route? Fort Collins, CO to Mitchell, SD - Google Maps

Great info! Thanks!

So there has to be another dot between Rapid City and Mitchell, SD. I-90 in that region is pretty empty. How about Murdo, SD; it looks pretty close to the dot on the Tesla Supercharger Page. See Rapid City, SD to Mitchell, SD - Google Maps for details.

The dots are starting to fill in for Elon's Spring Break Family Trip! :biggrin:

Anyone want to speculate on the two dots between Fort Collins, CO and Rapid City, SD? How about this route? Fort Collins, CO to Mitchell, SD - Google Maps

Cheyenne, WY would be a good place for a supercharger since it's at the intersection of Interstates 25 and 80. I'd guess other Wyoming superchargers in Douglas and Gillette so they can see Devil's Tower.

At today's supercharger event in Seattle, I spoke briefly with Kevin Kassekert, Director of Supercharger Deployment and Energy Efficiency. He answered a few questions with information I thought would be of interest
3. TM has a program to encourage hotels to install charging stations. If a hotel agrees to purchase two HPWCs, TM will donate an additional two units for free.

Not a great policy if Tesla is trying to promote electrified transit in general. Hotels should install J-plug chargers with 40A deliverable, which would serve all EVs on the market, not just the Model S. Of course, Tesla wants to promote its own products, too.

Anyway, no need to go further off-topic.