Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CLOSER STILL
Checked my cars Nav system (under Superchargers), there are three more SC that do not show up on Supercharger Map.
These are not "under-construction", they are LIVE

**Mitchell, SD
**Mishawaka, IN
**Angola, IN

ALL ARE LIVE

See Indiana's First Supercharger (meetup) - Page 4. No charging at Angola today; I guess that you can't always trust the map in the car... :eek:

Since you could reasonably use that road (refueling options abound) and products maybe delivered to you via those roads, you do get some value. However, I would argue, that Super Chargers outside of 300 miles provide no benefit to that owner (and no arguing that I could drive 10 miles an hour to get to one isn't a reasonable requirement). Since the Newark Super Charger is within those parameters, I am not applyng that argement to me...

Firstly: Way to miss the point.

Secondly: People have reported charging overnight via level 2 charging after the first leg of their trip, and then taking advantage of a supercharger on the second leg of their trip as they approached their destination.

So, not only does your argument not hold, but ignores the larger point: just because Tesla is prioritizing initial deployments in specific areas does mean others cannot avail themselves of their value should they choose.

I'm not seeing those listed under the "CURRENTLY OPEN" section on the site - http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

But it does look like the Mitchell location is close since it appears to have its own page - http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger/mitchell

Go GET IN YOUR MS.
Hit the Nav screen, then Superchargers.

They are ALL included on the list there.

Probably NOT OFFICIAL (due to not having Ribbon Cutting Ceremony yet), but they are showing up.
They actually have ALL the Superchargers Stations listed in order of proximity to your location, including Norway and Netherlands.

Who (beside Tesla and their Contractors) knows where else they might be being built and close to being LIVE?

@Nathan Smith:
You probably have at least two Supercharger stations within your current drivable Proximity.
Time for you to make plans to go visit at least one of them so you see one with your own eyes.
AND there will be at least two SCs in Pennsylvania West of you soon enough.

Or maybe you defer your immediate visit SC and make it to one of those Ribbon Cutting Ceremonies?
I am sure one of the kind other owners will show you how to plug in your car...:wink:

hera2eny.jpg

3esypype.jpg

e5utama2.jpg

e6a9e7a3.jpg

Go GET IN YOUR MS.
Hit the Nav screen, then Superchargers.

They are ALL included on the list there.

Unfortunately I don't own a Model S. But thanks to yobigd20 I now see the screens.

Probably NOT OFFICIAL (due to not having Ribbon Cutting Ceremony yet), but they are showing up.
They actually have ALL the Superchargers Stations listed in order of proximity to your location, including Norway and Netherlands.

Yes unfortunately Telsa hasn't really been too in sync with the locations within the nav system, the Currently Open section and the dots on the map. I'm not sure why they aren't all updated at the same time. Its a bit of an annoyance to me because it seems like it would be pretty easy to fix the process but in the end I'm just glad they're building out new stations so quickly. Three stations done or almost done means they can move on to three more stations that haven't started yet. Sounds like great news to me!

Unfortunately I don't own a Model S. But thanks to yobigd20 I now see the screens.

Yes unfortunately Telsa hasn't really been too in sync with the locations within the nav system, the Currently Open section and the dots on the map. I'm not sure why they aren't all updated at the same time. Its a bit of an annoyance to me because it seems like it would be pretty easy to fix the process but in the end I'm just glad they're building out new stations so quickly. Three stations done or almost done means they can move on to three more stations that haven't started yet. Sounds like great news to me!

I am sure there is a logic to having locations shown on the Tesla Motors Supercharger MAP,
Then a list below which indicates additional Supercharger locations,
And FINALLY having MORE additional Supercharger locations on your Nav Screen.

You are correct, it is not currently cross-referenced for easiest and a best SINGLE resource.
The MOST complete list is the Nav screen, but Angola, Indiana is not actually LIVE yet, per William 13's ​visit today.

Secondly: People have reported charging overnight via level 2 charging after the first leg of their trip, and then taking advantage of a supercharger on the second leg of their trip as they approached their destination.

So, not only does your argument not hold, but ignores the larger point: just because Tesla is prioritizing initial deployments in specific areas does mean others cannot avail themselves of their value should they choose.

No, I didn't miss your point. In fact, I tried to anticipate this arguement in my response. Specifically, I don't think driving 10 miles/hour our charging overnight is a reasonable (ie: not extreme or excessive) requirement in order to gain value from a Super Charger.

No, I didn't miss your point. In fact, I tried to anticipate this arguement in my response. Specifically, I don't think driving 10 miles/hour our charging overnight is a reasonable (ie: not extreme or excessive) requirement in order to gain value from a Super Charger.

OK, enough: you're beating a dead horse. Patience please; this is early days in the revolution. Plenty of us have slowed down incrementally and charged in the middle of the day at an RV park in order to reach an overnight charging stop; lather, rinse, repeat. That's how you go cross-country in an EV without Superchargers. If I had to do that in order to reach a string of Superchargers, I'd do it, and love every minute I saved when I was able to use them. The next time I made that trip, chances are there would be more Superchargers on the route, and it would be even easier.

No, I didn't miss your point. In fact, I tried to anticipate this arguement in my response. Specifically, I don't think driving 10 miles/hour our chargingi overnight is a reasonable (ie: not extreme or excessive) requirement in order to gain value from a Super Charger.

Then you are changing your argument. Your original statement was:
Tesla has provided infinitely (formal calculation) more SCs for Zythryn than has for me.

Tesla has provided them for everybody who cares to use them. If your choice is to not travel where they are useful, that doesn't mean Tesla has not provided them. This is evidenced by those who have done so.

If a person has a long trip and has a choice between two level 2 charges to reach their destination, or a level 2 charge then a supercharge, then there is value that Tesla has provided even if that supercharger is closer to a major destination rather than that person's point of origin.

I'll say it again, because it does seem this point is being ignored: just because a person chooses to not take advantage of a supercharger, does not mean Tesla has not provided ​it (your term).

See Indiana's First Supercharger (meetup) - Page 4. No charging at Angola today; I guess that you can't always trust the map in the car... :eek:

After seeing the above, I sent the following e-mail to [email protected]. Others may wish to do the same. My personal info is replaced with Cottonwood

Date: Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Subject: Backups to Superchargers
To: [email protected]

See <http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/24324-Indiana-s-First-Supercharger-(meetup)/page4?p=519024#post519024>. This is perhaps the first instance of a Supercharger appearing on the car's nav screen, the owner going to the Supercharger, and there being no charge available.

Luckily this owner made home with a few miles left in the battery. In the west, with Superchargers spaced at 100-140 miles, one dead Supercharger could be a disaster for an unlucky owner. If this happens and gets publicized, it could be a PR nightmare for Tesla.

The cost to Tesla to install an HPWC at a hotel is probably in the $3k to $5k range. That is 2-3% of the cost to install a Supercharger. Even though 56 mph is a lot less than 400 mph, it is a lot better than 28 mph at an RV park, and hotels usually have nice restaurants, etc.

As a safety net to your wonderful Supercharger network, I recommend the following:
  1. Contact hotels in the 3-15 mile distance from your Superchargers, and maybe at half-way distances. The 3 mile minimum is to try to get on another substation to get the maximum independence from failures.
  2. Offer a free HPWC with install to the first to respond in each area with the following conditions.
  3. They pay for the electricity and and maintain the HPWC for at least 5 years.
  4. The HPWC is available 7/24.
  5. They offer it free for hotel guests and other users of hotel facilities (restaurants, etc).
  6. They are allowed to charge up to $5/hr for other users if they wish.
  7. Publish this Tesla affiliated HPWC network and let the hotels know of the business that you will drive their way.
  8. Make sure the folks at your 800 number on the Superchargers know of these sites.
  9. This is low-cost insurance for Tesla and brings great synergy with many hotels (perhaps chains).

Cottonwood
Roadster, VIN 433, Model S Signature, 37

I did it by doing a transparent overlay on top of google map and then zooming in. It nails the exact towns on the dot.

yobig20,

Since I am taking Steve's suggestion and not lettng myself get pulled back in... Could you explain a bit more on how you did you transparent overlay? Did you use something like GIMP to convert the jpg from Tesla's website to say a png? If so, did you scale the picture? Thanks in advance,

How do you make it from Las Vegas to San Diego (300+ miles) in just 2 hours? Maybe you mean Barstow to San Diego, in which case 85 kWh owners should be OK (150-175 miles depending on how far into San Diego you have to go), though that will be challenging for you as a 60 kWh owner. Shouldn't be a problem, though if you get a range charge and keep speeds down, certainly easier than venturing farther west and say stopping in San Juan Capistrano for a top-off. Still, going through SJC only adds about 15 miles to the trip and would give you peace of mind.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. The two hours was from San Diego to my house, which is in the mountains north of the Inland Empire. It's only ~130 miles from San Diego but it's also a lot of hills and then a climb to 6000', which is the elevation of my house. The route you propose is definitely doable now that I think about it, but I still think the SC along the 215 makes more sense than the one in SJC. San Diego to LA is easy even in a 60, and I think the 15/215 is a better route for Vegas traffic, so who's the SJC Supercharger for? People coming from Mexico?

Short answer without the transparent overlay, and based on lots of educated guesses / speculation in the Mid-Atlantic forum, here's what I think Tesla will build, listed roughly west-to-east in PA:

* Cranberry/Wexford (I-76/I-79)
* Somerset (I-70/I-76)
* DuBois/Clearfield (I-80/PA-28)
* Carlisle/Harrisburg (I-76/I-81)
* Hazleton (I-80/I-81)
* Allentown (I-78/I-476)

Reference (with a somewhat ironic thread title):
Breezewood/Bedford (PA) Supercharger - Page 2

The dot that looks like it's near the PA/MD border is most likely Hagerstown MD (I-70/I-81). And the dot near the southwest corner of the state is probably near Morgantown WV (I-68/I-79), although I haven't read any specific posts or speculation on that one yet.

I'm personally hoping for Hagerstown and Somerset to be built soon, as either one will make my trips between DC and Pittsburgh MUCH easier. :) Both seem to be on the "coming soon" map on Tesla's web site.

I can't wait to be able to go from NY to Ann Arbor, MI. I80 is the preferred route, but it will be a while before those chargers go in, so the southern PA route will have to suffice until then. Just need these PA Superchargers and the Toledo, OH charger to be announced!

Aaron

I can't wait to be able to go from NY to Ann Arbor, MI. I80 is the preferred route, but it will be a while before those chargers go in, so the southern PA route will have to suffice until then. Just need these PA Superchargers and the Toledo, OH charger to be announced!

Aaron

Aaron call me an optimist but I am hopeful that the 2 chargers we need on I80 in PA on the 2014 map will be available for next summer rather than the end of the year!

Aaron

It's probably under construction already since nearby SCs are already up or underway, but we've got a poll going in the Midwest forum about the Toledo SC location.

Toledo Supercharger Location Poll

Aaron

I'm waiting for the same thing but will probably take the northern route through Ontario (provided the appropriate SCs are in place) until I-80. We're planning a Lake Michigan week for next year (with a stop in AA, of course).

That will be a nice trip John! Once the NY State Superchargers are in place I could as well....

Aaron

- - - Updated - - -

Aaron call me an optimist but I am hopeful that the 2 chargers we need on I80 in PA on the 2014 map will be available for next summer rather than the end of the year!

Me as well!

Also would make the cross country trip to Teslive a bit easier - but since other east coasters from the NJ/MD area are also interested, our best best may be to meet at the DE supercharger...

Aaron