Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that the buildout of the U.S. and European Supercharging Networks will have a tremendous impact on the public perception of EVs and Tesla Motors. I'm a little frustrated at the way the Supercharger maps are being updated on the Tesla website.

Do we have a thread that correlates the date a SC is commissioned with the date it is added to the map?

I think that the buildout of the U.S. and European Supercharging Networks will have a tremendous impact on the public perception of EVs and Tesla Motors. I'm a little frustrated at the way the Supercharger maps are being updated on the Tesla website.

Do we have a thread that correlates the date a SC is commissioned with the date it is added to the map?

This may be what you are looking for:
Supercharger Progress - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

Assuming the hose clamps are the standard 5/16 hex socket I'd guess the cables are about 1/2 inch diameter, so maybe 1 or 1/0 wire depending on insulation thickness. Probably 1.

#1 or #1/0 both make sense for a 2x cable to the car. From American wire gauge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
AWG Table.png

#1/0 would give you about 6 Watts per foot at 250 Amps and 11 Watts per foot at 333 Amps for the combination of 2 out and 2 back, both completely within reason.

Are they really?

Just how many Model S cars are there in the northeast?
I believe California has about half the sales so far? So I am guessing that they are actually the ones who's money is being valued less IF you want to look at it that way.
US buyers haven't been adding much to my WikiMap (link in signature) recently, but the conclusion I draw is that California is over-weight on SCs.

The six New England states + New York account for 143 entries and have 2 supercharger locations (grouping those on either side of the same highway) currently operational, both in a small area of southwest Connecticut. Two more are under construction, which are also very near the operational Darien chargers. There might be one more in process currently in Rhode Island. So, that's 143:2 = 71.5 "operating ratio" and 143:5 = 28.6 "near-term ratio".

By contrast, California has 363 entries in my WikiMap, but has 11 operating SCs and two in process (SJC and Vacaville). So, the California "operating ratio" is 363:11 = 33 and "near-term ratio" of 27.9. Moreover, the entire state is well-covered from north-to-south, in contrast to the strong Southwest CT/NYC focus of the northeastern SCs.

Of course, these numbers are highly dependent on self-reporting on my map, but there's no reason to think that there's a bias in the self-reporting rate regionally.

I think people are over reacting by the small changes Tesla has made on its Supercharger page. Tesla is hard at work constructing this infrastructure so that you can obtain a charge between cities free of charge. No other car manufacturer is doing this. Not Nissan, Chevy, BMW, Porsche, Fisker, etc. This is not an easy feat yet Tesla is still blowing away my expectations.

Take a quick glance at this map.

http://www.teslawiki.net/supercharger/

Currently there are 19 locations that are under construction within the United States. I imagine there are probably more that are being built at this time but we just don't have any users in those areas (such as AZ and PA). If you notice almost every piece of that coast to coast route is either built or currently being built.

Also if you visit the TechCrunch article below, you'll see Tesla documents which provides a timeline of the whole process. Many of the locations are within the actual construction phase which is likely to take only 3-4 weeks (instead of the 5 week estimation which was used when they first started the program).

http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/26/in...d-commitments-of-electrifying-road-transport/

I believe that Tesla's "Coming Soon" means in the next 2-3 months, if that!

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

Once they complete one of the 19 locations that are currently under construction, that crew will move along to the next location. The grid will be completed before you know it!

Please limit the whining unless you want to provide Tesla directly with constructive criticism. I hope the only reason you purchased a Model S is because of the Superchargers.

Keep the updates and progress reports coming, it's very exciting!

I think people are over reacting by the small changes Tesla has made on its Supercharger page. Tesla is hard at work constructing this infrastructure so that you can obtain a charge between cities free of charge. No other car manufacturer is doing this. Not Nissan, Chevy, BMW, Porsche, Fisker, etc. This is not an easy feat yet Tesla is still blowing away my expectations.

Currently there are 19 locations that are under construction within the United States. I imagine there are probably more that are being built at this time but we just don't have any users in those areas (such as AZ and PA). If you notice almost every piece of that coast to coast route is either built or currently being built.

Also if you visit the TechCrunch article below, you'll see Tesla documents which provides a timeline of the whole process. Many of the locations are within the actual construction phase which is likely to take only 3-4 weeks (instead of the 5 week estimation which was used when they first started the program).

http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/26/in...d-commitments-of-electrifying-road-transport/

Once they complete one of the 19 locations that are currently under construction, that crew will move along to the next location. The grid will be completed before you know it!

Please limit the whining unless you want to provide Tesla directly with constructive criticism. I hope the only reason you purchased a Model S is because of the Superchargers.

To be fair, I don't think many people, if any, are "whining." My only criticism is the supercharger between San Diego and Barstow being removed suddenly when it was originally slated in Fall 2013, so I was expecting it within weeks (Fall is almost officially over) only to see it suddenly absent. It wasn't just delayed, it was removed altogether. It's not even on the 2015 map. That means I can't comfortably make a return trip from San Diego to home on a range charge. I'd have to drive through LA, which turns a 2 hour trip (only driving time, not including charging time) into about a 3-4 hour trip, depending on LA traffic. Somebody going from San Diego to Vegas in a 60 would have to do the same thing. This is a heavily traveled route (anybody trying to drive north on the 15 or 215 on a Friday afternoon in the Inland Empire knows this), so it's not just like I'm expecting Tesla to accommodate me personally.

To be fair, I don't think many people, if any, are "whining." My only criticism is the supercharger between San Diego and Barstow being removed suddenly when it was originally slated in Fall 2013, so I was expecting it within weeks (Fall is almost officially over) only to see it suddenly absent. It wasn't just delayed, it was removed altogether. It's not even on the 2015 map. That means I can't comfortably make a return trip from San Diego to home on a range charge. I'd have to drive through LA, which turns a 2 hour trip (only driving time, not including charging time) into about a 3-4 hour trip, depending on LA traffic. Somebody going from San Diego to Vegas in a 60 would have to do the same thing. This is a heavily traveled route (anybody trying to drive north on the 15 or 215 on a Friday afternoon in the Inland Empire knows this), so it's not just like I'm expecting Tesla to accommodate me personally.

Hello Gear,
Have you emailed Tesla to ask about this omission? There are several charger locations which were accidentally omitted from the map and have yet to be re-instated. I would suggest you email [email protected] and ask if your concern is real or simply an omission.

By that logic:

I pay state taxes.
The state has improved a heavily used road some distance from me.
I have not yet driven that road.

Which is the correct statement?:

A)The state has provided no value to me.

or

B) I have not availed myself of the value provided to all.

Remember: "Provided for" != "taken advantage of"

Since you could reasonably use that road (refueling options abound) and products maybe delivered to you via those roads, you do get some value. However, I would argue, that Super Chargers outside of 300 miles provide no benefit to that owner (and no arguing that I could drive 10 miles an hour to get to one isn't a reasonable requirement). Since the Newark Super Charger is within those parameters, I am not applyng that argement to me...

CLOSER STILL
Checked my cars Nav system (under Superchargers), there are three more SC that do not show up on Supercharger Map.
These are not "under-construction", they are LIVE

**Mitchell, SD
**Mishawaka, IN
**Angola, IN

ALL ARE LIVE

Hello Gear,
Have you emailed Tesla to ask about this omission? There are several charger locations which were accidentally omitted from the map and have yet to be re-instated. I would suggest you email [email protected] and ask if your concern is real or simply an omission.

Yeah, I submitted an e-mail via the website to ownership, but maybe I'll send one to that e-mail address as well to cover my bases. I haven't heard back yet, I'm assuming because it's the weekend.

...However, I would argue, that Super Chargers outside of 300 miles provide no benefit to that owner (and no arguing that I could drive 10 miles an hour to get to one isn't a reasonable requirement). Since the Newark Super Charger is within those parameters, I am not applyng that argement to me...

And I would point out a friend of mine that recently took a trip to Chicago from the western suburbs of Minneapolis in his Model S.
He charged along the way at slower chargers until he reached Rockford and could use the Supercharger there. He found it very valuable and was thrilled to have it.

Back to your comment about me using the SCs once and you never...
So you got called out on actually having a SC nearby, and corrected about me never using one. Your arguments are unraveling with more and more inaccuracies. At this point I am not sure what your position is. If you could stick with facts and avoid omitting facts, it may strengthen your argument.

To state my position again:
I don't believe Tesla is ignoring any owners and is placing SCs by a number of priorities, the biggest being the number of Model S owners in an area. Some are also being placed to connect areas of the country, such as east and west coasts, Southern California all the way up the coast to Washington, Florida up to NY.

The planned layout is fluid, there are many moving parts with each and every SC location, so yes, plans can change, but the overall goal of nationwide coverage is still there.

It's not free, we all paid for Tesla to be able to do this.

I'll bite (I do live in PA) -- my eyes aren't sharp enough to see where in PA those red dots are suppose to be, so how are people figuring out where Super Chargers will/could be located?

CLOSER STILL
Checked my cars Nav system (under Superchargers), there are three more SC that do not show up on Supercharger Map.

**Mitchell, SD
**Mishawaka, IN
**Angola, IN

ALL ARE LIVE

I'm not seeing those listed under the "CURRENTLY OPEN" section on the site - http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

But it does look like the Mitchell location is close since it appears to have its own page - http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger/mitchell

- - - Updated - - -

I did it by doing a translucent overlay on top of google map and then zooming in. It nails the exact towns on the dot.

Sounds cool. Can you do a high resolution image and share it with the group? I bet everyone is interested in the unconfirmed/proposed locations.

My only criticism is the supercharger between San Diego and Barstow being removed suddenly when it was originally slated in Fall 2013, so I was expecting it within weeks (Fall is almost officially over) only to see it suddenly absent. It wasn't just delayed, it was removed altogether. It's not even on the 2015 map. That means I can't comfortably make a return trip from San Diego to home on a range charge. I'd have to drive through LA, which turns a 2 hour trip (only driving time, not including charging time) into about a 3-4 hour trip, depending on LA traffic. Somebody going from San Diego to Vegas in a 60 would have to do the same thing.
How do you make it from Las Vegas to San Diego (300+ miles) in just 2 hours? Maybe you mean Barstow to San Diego, in which case 85 kWh owners should be OK (150-175 miles depending on how far into San Diego you have to go), though that will be challenging for you as a 60 kWh owner. Shouldn't be a problem, though if you get a range charge and keep speeds down, certainly easier than venturing farther west and say stopping in San Juan Capistrano for a top-off. Still, going through SJC only adds about 15 miles to the trip and would give you peace of mind.

CLOSER STILL

**Mitchell, SD
**Mishawaka, IN
**Angola, IN

ALL ARE LIVE

Superchargers are just popping up all over! How exciting!! Its amazing that the in-car map now has the most recent info!!! :wink:

I will head down to Farmington, NM the end of this week to see how it is doing. Let's see how they progressed in 3 weeks or so.

I'll bite (I do live in PA) -- my eyes aren't sharp enough to see where in PA those red dots are suppose to be, so how are people figuring out where Super Chargers will/could be located?

Short answer without the transparent overlay, and based on lots of educated guesses / speculation in the Mid-Atlantic forum, here's what I think Tesla will build, listed roughly west-to-east in PA:

* Cranberry/Wexford (I-76/I-79)
* Somerset (I-70/I-76)
* DuBois/Clearfield (I-80/PA-28)
* Carlisle/Harrisburg (I-76/I-81)
* Hazleton (I-80/I-81)
* Allentown (I-78/I-476)

Reference (with a somewhat ironic thread title):
Breezewood/Bedford (PA) Supercharger - Page 2

The dot that looks like it's near the PA/MD border is most likely Hagerstown MD (I-70/I-81). And the dot near the southwest corner of the state is probably near Morgantown WV (I-68/I-79), although I haven't read any specific posts or speculation on that one yet.

I'm personally hoping for Hagerstown and Somerset to be built soon, as either one will make my trips between DC and Pittsburgh MUCH easier. :) Both seem to be on the "coming soon" map on Tesla's web site.