Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Clever, but this route repeatedly breaks my self-imposed rule of entering into a state exactly once.
There isn't much you'd have to change to it to make it comply.... Make the straight drive up through Mississippi a curvy one through Louisiana them Arkansas then Tennessee then Kentucky and reconnect.... For the initial part you would just have to loop out for Vermont at first and then go down to mass... I'm not sure what's going on in the dc area.

You would also have to go to Washington via Cali and Oregon rather than looping through Idaho a few times. Then Idaho Wyoming Montana....

image.jpg

From today

Wow.
I am curious, after the recent roll-out of 7 Superchargers (4 on Friday, 3 more on Monday), where the next grouping of SpC activity will be focused?

East Coast is network is still a major priority and is getting closer to being a reality.
Certainly there will be additional SpC sites built in California: that is a given.

I certainly can see several around Atlanta and Northern GA and maybe I-40 NC thru Tennessee?
Mid-coast VA and DC vicinity, up to PA and NY, over to New England (some maybe in Spring).
St. Louis and Southern IL and over to KC on South to OKC.
Southern Ohio and IN, up into Michigan.
Panhandle of FL on to New Orleans/Baton Rouge.
Have I mentioned our friends in Canada near Toronto, Montreal, Quebec, Vancouver and Calgary (again maybe in the Spring when things warm up a bit)?

The crews that have just completed the new Superchargers are perhaps ALREADY working/digging on some of these NEW locations.

Scouting for and locating new sites is part of the fun of being a member of the Tesla community.

Scouting for and locating new sites is part of the fun of being a member of the Tesla community.

I agree. It looks like we're missing some in SoCa, AZ, NY and VA (comparing Hawthorne with the Tesla Wiki). Once the coast to coast is done, I wonder where the next set will fall. They should be ramping up and choosing locations unless they're taking a break (which doesn't make a lot of sense).

Let the games begin on the new dots!

http://www.teslawiki.net/supercharger/

- - - Updated - - -

Macedonia redirects to the log in page. Is this one next? - www.teslamotors.com/supercharger/macedonia

I sent the Supercharger team a note with suggested locations for WY, CO and NM, to fill out the 2015 map and make the big Rocky Mountain West vacation destinations accessible for S60 as well as S85. They sent this reply, which may have some general applicability, as well.

"Hi Steve,Thank you very much for your feedback! Your suggestions have been forwarded to our developer team. As we move forward and populate the major US routes, we will then begin filling out routes that support vacation/destination travel. Yellowstone is clearly a major destination and we are planning to support it for our customers.

We appreciate your enthusiasm and support of Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thanks,
Tesla Supercharger Team"

I don't recall seeing that 'coming soon' dot in NE Arizona before, the one south of Blanding. It's not even on the 2015 planning map. Looks like it'll be somewhere on the common segment where US160/US191 join up for awhile. That is seriously out in the boonies, making Blanding and Lusk look like major metropolitan centers by comparison.

It's a great location for a Supercharger, tying together Blanding, Farmington, Gallup and Flagstaff; and it straightens out part of the big Four Corners S-curve that existed on the Elon cross-country route up to now, bypassing Gallup and Farmington completely. It also supports Canyon de Chelly.

- - - Updated - - -

Stevezzz...What email address did you use for the Supercharger team?

It's [email protected]

Last edited:
I don't recall seeing that 'coming soon' dot in NE Arizona before, the one south of Blanding. It's not even on the 2015 planning map. Looks like it'll be somewhere on the common segment where US160/US191 join up for awhile. That is seriously out in the boonies, making Blanding and Lusk look like major metropolitan centers by comparison.

The one between Flagstaff and Gallup? Thats Holbrook, AZ. Not sure why its not on the wiki site but I believe the location for that one has been determined, I think another Carls Jr.

The one between Flagstaff and Gallup? Thats Holbrook, AZ. Not sure why its not on the wiki site but I believe the location for that one has been determined, I think another Carls Jr.

No, the one between Flagstaff and Blanding; it's not near any town. I've driven that road and flown extensively over the area: it's a whole lot of nothing but scenery and scattered Navajo hogans. Nice highways, though.

[Update: the only facilities along that stretch of highway are at the Mexican Water Gas Sation and Trading Post. If you go a little farther east there's the settlement at Red Mesa, but it's not on the stretch of road where 160/191 are conjoined.]

Last edited:
No, the one between Flagstaff and Blanding; it's not near any town. I've driven that road and flown extensively over the area: it's a whole lot of nothing but scenery and scattered Navajo hogans. Nice highways, though.

I think that one is Blanding. There are only two in UT (Moab and Blanding). There is a glare on the screen that you might be mistaking for a state line?

Thanks for the email address Steve, I just sent them the following note with some suggestions for local gaps in NY and PA travel:

Hello Supercharger Team!

Exactly one year after taking delivery of my Model S, I made a trek to Somerset, PA to be the first customer to charge at the new Supercharger. It was my very experience Supercharging, as there had never been one within range before. Incredible! I have attached a picture that captures the experience. [Props and photo credit to Newscutter!]

OUTAGAS SC Somerset 4.jpg

Now we are looking forward to watching one be built in Cranberry, PA, right in our own backyard. I have promised to give test drives and bring cookies to the construction crew when the arrive, hopefully later this week. Heading West from Pittsburgh, Macedonia will fill one of the very last gaps in East/West travel.

*CONGRATULATIONS* and *THANK YOU* to the Supercharger team for achieving what the accepted wisdom claimed to be utterly impossible (or at the very least, something that would take decades to achieve), and doing it in one year!!!

Having set this precedent, I am very much looking forward to future sites, including several spots that are not yet listed on the 2014 and 2015 map. These spots will fill what are otherwise some challenging gaps in the NY/PA network. I will list a couple of these, in order of my perceived importance, as someone who does a great deal of driving in this neck of the woods:

1) Erie, PA. A supercharger in Erie will simultaneously connect Cleveland to Buffalo on the I-90 route, and will also enable N/S traffic on I-79 to get into Upstate NY from PA, or down to PA from Upstate NY or Canada. I-79 is a heavily traveled route for Canadian “Snowbirds”, who enter the US at Niagara Falls. They need an SC in Buffalo, then one in Erie, then down to Cranberry and beyond. A supercharger in Erie is also perfectly positioned for the I-90 traffic that branches off just above Erie onto I-86, which is a very scenic toll-free highway across the Southern Tier of NY.

Cleveland, OH to Buffalo, NY - Google Maps

2) I-86 between Erie, PA and Ithaca, NY. This stretch of 221 miles is a fine candidate for a Supercharger. As mentioned above, I-86 is the preferred route across NY, as it is more scenic and less congested than the NYS Thruway, and has no tolls. The towns of Salamanca, Olean or Cuba, NY are midpoints on this route. The town of Bath just beyond the intersection of I-390 and I-86 would also serve the N/S traffic to Rochester NY and down into PA on I-99 nicely, though it is a bit farther from Erie.

Erie, PA to Ithaca, NY - Google Maps

3) Binghamton, NY. This would allow traffic from NYC to reach upstate NY destinations, including the Ithaca, Syracuse and I-86 Supercharger suggested above, without having to go north to Albany first. It would also provide coverage across I-86 to Erie and beyond, and connect up to I-88 and the Supercharger in Albany, NY.

Syracuse, NY to New York, NY - Google Maps

4) Grove City Outlets at I-79 and I-80 interchange in PA. At 180 miles, the stretch between Macedonia, OH and Clearfield, PA might be a bit long for drivers in a 60kWh, especially in cold weather. The Grove City Outlets right on I-79 and immediately below I-80 would bisect this route perfectly, and allow traffic along I-80 from Chicago to NYC. While perhaps a bit redundant with SCs in Cranberry and possibly Erie as suggested above, it would reduce strain and congestion on the Cranberry SC by giving the I-79 N/S traffic the option of using either Cranberry or Grove City, and provide a dedicated SC to both I-76 and I-80. A couple of HPWCs added to the mix here would be idea for travelers who choose to stay and shop at the Outlet malls at this location. I-80 is often considered the preferred route to cross PA, as it is toll-free and much less congested than the PA Turnpike (I-76).

Macedonia, OH to Clearfield, PA - Google Maps

Once again, a big thank you from me, my family and Tesla owners everywhere for what you have accomplished. You truly are changing the world, at a pace that is difficult to absorb and comprehend. Thank you for that. Keep fighting the good fight!

Last edited:
Damn, you're right! I've got a bad case of the SC blues now, since that would have been a perfect spot for one. Guess I'll just have to send another note to the SC team... :redface:

Don't feel bad, that Hawthorne Dashboard display has the distortion problem that many maps have had. They place the circular dot with its bottom center on the actual location instead of the center of the dot on the location. That distortion causes all sorts of perception errors. For example, notice how Farmington appears to be on the Colorado/New Mexico border, almost in Colorado. The Teslawiki page had the same error until I pointed it out; its now fixed there.