Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd wager some of those "black" Teslas are actually Blue. Increases the odds a bit.

digitally enhanced. Sorry Tesla, three of them are definitely blue. the one furthest left is debatable, could be green.

bluetesla.jpg

It certainly seems like Tesla should put in one more Supercharger south of OKC; with that you could come skiing in Colorado this winter! Incredible Pagosa Vacation Rentals has a nice 70 Amp J1772 next to the cabins, and within walking distance to Hot Springs and Restaurants; come give us a visit!

It looks like we should be connected to the SuperCharger Interstate via I-10 East sometime this year. The West will have to wait until sometime next year.

View attachment 51167

John

Supercharging not as advertised on TM website

Supercharging not as advertised on the TM website (170 miles in 30 minutes @ 120Kw SC)

Today I stopped at the new Hamilton Township, NJ 135kw supercharger. I arrived with 26 miles of rated range. I have a P85+. Ambient outside temperature was 68 degrees.

There were no other MSs at the SC. As you can see below, I was getting 328V and 368 amps charging at 380 mph. But that still only calculates to 120Kw. Still pretty good charging, under which I think are almost optimal conditions. But why not 135kw?

photo-3.JPG

But after 30 minutes, I only got 146 miles of additional charge. After 45 minutes, it was up to 188 miles of charge and after 60 minutes, I was able to get up to 244 miles. Now I'm really not complaining, I'm more curious how one would get 170 miles of charge in 30 minutes on a 120kw SC, when I can't even get 150 miles on a 135kw charger (charging at 120kw)?

Supercharging not as advertised on the TM website (170 miles in 30 minutes @ 120Kw SC)

Today I stopped at the new Hamilton Township, NJ 135kw supercharger. I arrived with 26 miles of rated range. I have a P85+. Ambient outside temperature was 68 degrees.

There were no other MSs at the SC. As you can see below, I was getting 328V and 368 amps charging at 380 mph. But that still only calculates to 120Kw. Still pretty good charging, under which I think are almost optimal conditions. But why not 135kw?

But after 30 minutes, I only got 146 miles of additional charge. After 45 minutes, it was up to 188 miles of charge and after 60 minutes, I was able to get up to 244 miles. Now I'm really not complaining, I'm more curious how one would get 170 miles of charge in 30 minutes on a 120kw SC, when I can't even get 150 miles on a 135kw charger (charging at 120kw)?

First, arrive with zero miles. That helps as it means it takes longer for the tapering to start.
Still, I doubt that this would really be possible in the real world.

/D

If you started at 0 miles, you would have had about 170 miles after 30 minutes. It's just that at some point after your range hit about 170 miles, the charging started to slow down as the battery can't take 120kW of power after a certain point. Also note that while the SCs may be 135kW, that's total for both bays. Your MS is still limited to 120kW. Something to consider is the MS60s are limited to 105kW and the early MS85s with the model A battery pack are limited to 90kW. So you are getting the fastest charging rate available!

FWIW, I have never been able to achieve the targets during any of my Supercharger stops, either. I have always assumed it was factors such as SOC upon arrival, ambient temp, unknown limitations of my B battery, etc. But the stated charge times of 150 miles in 25 minutes have always been optimistic when compared to my real life experiences, even with no other vehicles at the SpC.

FWIW, I have never been able to achieve the targets during any of my Supercharger stops, either. I have always assumed it was factors such as SOC upon arrival, ambient temp, unknown limitations of my B battery, etc. But the stated charge times of 150 miles in 25 minutes have always been optimistic when compared to my real life experiences, even with no other vehicles at the SpC.
I've reached that when charging from almost empty on 125kW SCs (not 90s obviously).
Not often, but it have.

But according to this graph, the taper really shouldn't start until about 80% charge, which for a 85kwh battery would be around 200 miles of charge (not 170):

The taper is subtle, but it happens in the first 10-15 minutes. Take a look at this figure where I have attempted to draw a straight line tangential to the starting slope. If there were no taper, 120 kW DC provides 400 mph charge rate, and you would get 200 miles in 30 minutes. Tesla used to claim 200 miles in 30 minutes, but backed off from that. You may be able to get 170 miles in 30 minutes if you rolled up to the Supercharger at exactly 0 miles in the battery, but as you start with a larger than 0 state of charge the difference between the straight line and the taper gets bigger and bigger...

Taper.jpg

BTW, although Amps, Volts, and kW are all displayed as instantaneous values, MPH charging rate is displayed as the average for the session. With the taper, that almost always looks better than the actual instantaneous value; don't be fooled.

The taper is subtle, but it happens in the first 10-15 minutes. Take a look at this figure where I have attempted to draw a straight line tangential to the starting slope. If there were no taper, 120 kW DC provides 400 mph charge rate, and you would get 200 miles in 30 minutes. Tesla used to claim 200 miles in 30 minutes, but backed off from that. You may be able to get 170 miles in 30 minutes if you rolled up to the Supercharger at exactly 0 miles in the battery, but as you start with a larger than 0 state of charge the difference between the straight line and the taper gets bigger and bigger...

View attachment 51243

BTW, although Amps, Volts, and kW are all displayed as instantaneous values, MPH charging rate is displayed as the average for the session. With the taper, that almost always looks better than the actual instantaneous value; don't be fooled.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. That is why if you look at your mph charging number at any given time and try to do some quick math and 'assume' that it will take say 10 minutes to get to a certain charge point it always
happens to take just a little longer.

... You may be able to get 170 miles in 30 minutes if you rolled up to the Supercharger at exactly 0 miles in the battery,...

Yes that's their claim, but even under the best conditions I only once got 160 miles in 30 min. To be fair, I started with negative 2 miles, but still. In real world conditions the charge rate is never that high. You almost never arrive at 0 miles. But either way, Superchargers are pretty darn fast. Not complaining here.