Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Busy day for updates and pictures of construction in Massachusetts and Indiana!

First, construction is ramping up in Auburn, MA! Thanks to BrianMA for the picture.

Supercharger - Auburn MA

- - - Updated - - -

Next, construction is well underway in Lafayette, Indiana! Thanks to Pentacat for the pictures.

Anyone have info on Indy or Lafayette, IN SuperCharger? - Page 8

Finally, construction is progressing in Indianapolis! Thanks to patrick42h for the picture.

Anyone have info on Indy or Lafayette, IN SuperCharger? - Page 8

Last edited:
<Tongue firmly in cheek>

It popped up virtually overnight-- no permits were filed/discovered-- but it appears the Bricksburgh Supercharger is open.

It's located across from the police station/city hall complex and about a block away from a racetrack one way and pizza shop the other.

ICEing appears to be a non-issue.

1-IMG_5971.JPG

We took the southeast Superchargers from NC down to Cape Canaveral to watch the CRS-4 launch this weekend. I've used the northeast section a couple of times to get to southern PA and Manhattan without a lot of incident, but probably did more "research" the first time or two, and got a little lazier with preflight preparations this time.

Tesla really needs to look at providing tailored last-mile guidance to Superchargers on the nav screen.. A couple on this route are a little hard to find the first time, particularly at night. The web pages help, but reading them ahead of time really shouldn't be a requirement. Navigating to an address is one thing, buildings tend to be fairly visible even if the marker is off a bit, but unlit superchargers in the corner of a parking lot inside an outlet mall are a different story. Maybe the new lighted stations will help once they roll out, but who knows when they're going to replace the existing stands.

The stretch from Savannah to St. Augustine is a bit of a stretch, it's doable in an 85 (though on the way down I must've looked at the birds-eye nav distance before it finished calculating the route, left a little sooner than I should, and ended up stopping at a L2 charger outside of Jacksonville to add about 6 miles cushion when the weather started acting up) but would be cutting it close on a S60 in anything other than ideal weather. On the other hand, Santee to Savannah and St. Augustine to Port Orange are both on the short side, one another 60 miles south of Savannah would close that gap for 60s and allow 85s to potentially skip over Savannah and St. Augustine.

And lastly, it'd be nice if they'd put charging either at the KSC visitor's center parking lot or some hotels in the area; after the scrub Saturday morning we ended up going back up to Port Orange Saturday evening after visiting KSC so we'd have enough for launch #2. Titusville itself is something of a charging desert, and for all the signs at the KSC visitor's center about going green and having solar everywhere, they have no public charging for guests.

Holy CRAP...

What does an Elon-Soon equate too?!? :eek:

I thought an Elonsoon is one of those weeks when Elon makes a lot of appearances in the press and says a lot of stuff. You know, like a monsoon.

I think as we get closer to the Model X introduction, that will definitely be "Elonsoon season."

Keeping it on-subject... I see from the Tesla web site that we're now at 195 Superchargers around the world. Only five to go before it's at 200 and I would guess that's an opportunity for some PR.

Tesla really needs to look at providing tailored last-mile guidance to Superchargers on the nav screen.. A couple on this route are a little hard to find the first time, particularly at night. The web pages help, but reading them ahead of time really shouldn't be a requirement. Navigating to an address is one thing, buildings tend to be fairly visible even if the marker is off a bit, but unlit superchargers in the corner of a parking lot inside an outlet mall are a different story. Maybe the new lighted stations will help once they roll out, but who knows when they're going to replace the existing stands.

Don't know if you know about this, but the marker flag location on the center screen is very accurate. If you just zoom all the way in and manually navigate to the flag, you will find the supercharger.

The stretch from Savannah to St. Augustine is a bit of a stretch, it's doable in an 85 (though on the way down I must've looked at the birds-eye nav distance before it finished calculating the route, left a little sooner than I should, and ended up stopping at a L2 charger outside of Jacksonville to add about 6 miles cushion when the weather started acting up) but would be cutting it close on a S60 in anything other than ideal weather. On the other hand, Santee to Savannah and St. Augustine to Port Orange are both on the short side, one another 60 miles south of Savannah would close that gap for 60s and allow 85s to potentially skip over Savannah and St. Augustine.

I agree that they really need to put a station around Jacksonville to make the spacing a bit more even so you don't have to sit around so long at the Savannah airport (which doesn't have much to do - especially late at night) but this leg should be easily doable in an 85 under even the worst of conditions as long as you plan accordingly and charge enough. I'd still rather not have to charge beyond 175 at any supercharger just to make the charges faster.

Don't know if you know about this, but the marker flag location on the center screen is very accurate. If you just zoom all the way in and manually navigate to the flag, you will find the supercharger.

It works even better if you put the screen in "Satellite" mode. Locations then become very obvious if you zoom way in.

I agree that they really need to put a station around Jacksonville to make the spacing a bit more even so you don't have to sit around so long at the Savannah airport (which doesn't have much to do - especially late at night) but this leg should be easily doable in an 85 under even the worst of conditions as long as you plan accordingly and charge enough. I'd still rather not have to charge beyond 175 at any supercharger just to make the charges faster.

The taper can be a real drag. You use 175, I use 200, but anything past those numbers, the charging slows down to a painful rate. The number that I use is that Superchargers should not be more than 133 miles apart for fast charging, fast driving, and margin for weather. Savannah to St. Augustine at 170 is way beyond the 133 guideline... Brunswick, GA would be a nice spot in between.

The taper can be a real drag. You use 175, I use 200, but anything past those numbers, the charging slows down to a painful rate. The number that I use is that Superchargers should not be more than 133 miles apart for fast charging, fast driving, and margin for weather. Savannah to St. Augustine at 170 is way beyond the 133 guideline... Brunswick, GA would be a nice spot in between.
Yes, the current distance between Supercharger Stations Savannah to St. Augustine is too far apart. The network must accommodate 60 kWh batteries as well and as you point out this forces them into the charging taper. I was rather disappointed when Tesla removed the dot at Jacksonville from the planning map.

Larry

I also think there should be a SpC in the Jacksonville area, especially on the north or west sides. If you think the gap between Savannah and St. Augustine is bad for those going straight down I-95, it is even more horrendous for those who turn west at Jacksonville on to I-10 as the next charger is at Lake City, FL. That's at least 197 miles!

From a Florida perspective:

Either pack SCs together so S60s don't have to 'deal with the taper'

- OR -

Build an equal number of much needed SCs in northern NY so Canadians can escape to Florida this winter in their Teslas.
--

Why OR? Why not both? :biggrin:

I hear that Superchargers work just as well going north to escape the Florida summers. :wink:

Larry

Why OR? Why not both? :biggrin:

Ah, must be nice to work with unlimited resources! I'm sure that we'll get both, but I agree that the priority should be the places existing SuperChargers cannot reach, before the places where one has to wait at the SC because of taper. Albany is totally inadequate for covering all of New York, as I know from planning my upcoming trip to Ithaca. And while Auburn will be great, it leaves quite a bit of northern Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine as unreachable via SuperCharger, whether you wait for taper or not.

Ah, must be nice to work with unlimited resources! I'm sure that we'll get both, but I agree that the priority should be the places existing SuperChargers cannot reach, before the places where one has to wait at the SC because of taper. Albany is totally inadequate for covering all of New York, as I know from planning my upcoming trip to Ithaca. And while Auburn will be great, it leaves quite a bit of northern Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine as unreachable via SuperCharger, whether you wait for taper or not.

Totally this. I'm going up to Burlington, VT this weekend. Albany is exactly half way between. But once I get up to VT, I have to scrounge around for L2 chargers to make sure I have enough (+buffer) to get back to Albany. That's going to put a serious dent in the plans for Sunday. There's a chance I'll have L1 charging at my destination, but I don't think it's going to be enough.

Getting a SC at the intersection of 89 and 91 - Lebanon, NH would be nice -- once the West Hartford SC comes online. It's 150 miles between West Hartford and Lebanon. Easily made in an 85, I'm not sure about a 60. Looks like there's a 2014 red dot there... but any progress? Heck, I just noticed two SC 2014 red dots up near Burlington, VT. That would really be nice of they could be online by Sunday!! :)

Sorry Dave & Hank,

I was responding to what I thought was a tongue-in-cheek remark with another tongue-in-cheek remark. Please note the smilely faces.

Larry

I was responding to what I thought was a tongue-in-cheek remark with another tongue-in-cheek remark.
Larry

Hard to be tongue-in-cheek whilst being blatantly self-serving at the same time. But anything to get more SCs in Northern NY/NE.

Now seems a good time for Tesla to move the SC development teams from the Southwest and Florida up to the Northeast to work their magic there. [insert serious smiley here].
--