Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup. Would make a whole lot of sense to finish digging in New England and Canada before winter sets in. Site work in Florida isn't much of a problem in January...

It's apparently not much of a problem in the north either since many of the ones in the midwest (i.e. Minnesota) were done last winter. They don't seem to care about seasons when it comes to the SC installs.

Perhaps a contractor or builder can weigh in on this, as I am neither. But it would seem to me that in many locations where winter weather is problematic that general construction slows down appreciably. However, a Supercharger installation really is just some excavation/repaving and wiring and fairly easy installation of the charging apparatuses that are connected to a large utility transformer. No plumbing, roofing, framing, etc. etc. There might be a lot of electrical contractors that would want to work and make their usual hourly wage instead of collecting unemployment. It does not snow every day for 4 months!

I was thinking more about scouting and developing new SC sites etc not the digging into frost and pouring 'crete at 20*F. When you are north of PA/NY border latitude winter work adds a whole layer of requirements that I wouldn't wish on anyone. Legwork not so much.
--

FroznChozn chiming in here....

Folks, all this discussion is relative. It's getting to the point of "gee, can't imagine anybody ever getting any outdoors work done outside of, say, Santa Barbara, CA".

We have a 300'-high AT&T tower around the corner. Atop an isolated mountain. So: when did the crew come to replace much of its upper one-third, beefing it up to support the 4G/LTE upgrade?

A: When the winds were consistently at 40kt, gusting to 70. And snow maintaining a 30yd visibility. And temps well below freezing. That's right. What we here call "July".

"Git 'er done."

(LMB spouse)

My brother runs a backhoe (a.k.a. digger) in Pennsylvania. Recent winters have been mostly warm, but he says that when you have more than 18 inches of frozen dirt, excavation can be difficult. Not impossible, but much harder to work neatly so much more time-consuming. I would think this is even more of an issue at a typical Supercharger site with previous paving and concrete that must be left undisturbed.

I would like to point out that 5 Months (and two days) ago today on April 24th, Tesla Announced the 100th Super Charger. Three Months later on July 24th ,151 Super Chargers were on-line and 5 months (and two days) later, 201 Super Chargers are on-line:

April 24th - 100 Super Chargers
100 Supercharger Stations | Blog | Tesla Motors

July 24th - 151 Super Chargers
Tesla Supercharger network - Page 516

September 26th - 201 Super Chargers
Supercharger | Tesla Motors

Unfortunately, very few of those were in North America, so Texas is still and island.