Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just me, or are there a bizarrely large number of Superchargers in MI in the 2015 map? I count eight new ones. Which is nice for Michiganders, but seems...excessive for a state that won't even allow the cars to be sold there.

Is it just me, or are there a bizarrely large number of Superchargers in MI in the 2015 map? I count eight new ones. Which is nice for Michiganders, but seems...excessive for a state that won't even allow the cars to be sold there.

There are 10 Million people in Michigan. And it is a large auto market. Also, it is the most direct route from Toronto to Chicago. Michigan's super charger build out has been pushed back, which makes the total number appear excessive. Given the population, 94 route to Chicago, and their relationship with Meijer, 8 appears to be sufficient.

We hear this comment with regard to Texas too and I don't understand it. What does the state law regarding sales have to do with locations of superchargers? Tesla owners in Michigan and Texas, and those from other states who are driving to or passing through Michigan and Texas, have no less need for a supercharging network than those in California or other "Tesla-friendly" states. I haven't heard anyone express this sentiment regarding all the superchargers in Arizona where direct sales are also banned. Is Arizona excluded from this line of thinking because people frequently travel there from California?

Knoxville, TN is on the coming soon map now. That's my home turf so maybe for once I can be the one uploading progress pictures.

Does anyone have any idea where it will be?

Codes Administration and Enforcement - Knox County Tennessee Government
Permit Reports - Codes Administration and Enforcement - Knox County Tennessee Government

City of Knoxville - Plans Review & Inspections (plenty of names and phone numbers but I don't want to pester anyone until I have a better idea of timing)
SSL (Plans Review and Permit Inquiry) but that requires the permit number.

Last edited:
The new Coming Soon map appears to be the same as the one updated a few weeks ago except that the sites under construction in Alberta are included and there appears to be a new dot between San Juan Capistrano and Hawthorne. Here is an updated list of Coming Soon sites:

Red Deer, AB (site known, under construction)
Canmore, AB (site known, under construction)
Golden, BC (site known, under construction)
Petaluma, CA (site known, under construction)
Napa, CA (site & status unknown)
Manteca, CA (site known, under construction)
Mountain View, CA (site & status unknown)
Westminster/Orange, CA (site & status unknown)
San Diego, CA (site known, under construction)
Mojave, CA (site known, in permitting)
Inyokern, CA (site & status unknown)
Lone Pine, CA (site known, under construction)
Bishop, CA (site & status unknown)
Needles, CA (site & status unknown)
Lovelock, NV (site known, in permitting)
Winnemucca, NV (site & status unknown)
Elko, NV (site unknown, may be under construction)
West Wendover, NV (site known, not known to be under construction)
Tooele, UT (site known, not known to be under construction)
Coeur d'Alene, ID (site & status unknown)
Sheridan, WY (site & status unknown)
Albuquerque, NM (site & status unknown)
Las Vegas, NM (site & status unknown)
Santa Rosa, NM (site & status unknown)
Trinidad, CO (site & status unknown)
Amarillo, TX (site & status unknown)
Shamrock, TX (site & status unknown)
Weatherford/Clinton, OK (site & status unknown)
Perry, OK (site known, in permitting)
Ardmore, OK (site unknown, believed to be in permitting)
Denton, TX (site known, in permitting)
Wichita, KS (site known, under construction)
Independence, MO (site & status unknown)
St. Charles, MO (site & status unknown)
Springfield, IL (site known, under construction)
Baton Rouge, LA (site known, under construction)
Slidell, LA (site & status unknown)
Mobile, AL (site & status unknown)
Defuniak Springs, FL (site known, under construction)
Plantation, FL (site known, in permitting)
Marathon, FL (site known, in permitting)
Columbia, SC (site & status unknown)
Charlotte, NC (site known, in permitting)
Nashville, TN (site & status unknown)
Knoxville, TN (site & status unknown)
London, KY (site & status unknown)
Lexington, KY (site & status unknown)
Louisville, KY (site & status unknown)
Norfolk, VA (site & status unknown)
Erie, PA (site & status unknown)
Joyce Kilmer Service Area, NJ (status unknown)
Molly Pitcher Service Area, NJ (status unknown)
Newburgh, NY (site & status unknown)
Utica, NY (site & status unknown)
Syracuse, NY (site & status unknown)
Clarence, NY (site known, in permitting)
West Springfield, MA (site known, under construction)
White River Junction / Hartford, VT (site & status unknown)
Comber, ON (site known, in permitting)
Barrie, ON (site known, under construction)
Kingston, ON (site known, languishing in need of transformer & hookup)
Drummondville, QC (site known, under construction hiatus)

Notably absent: Greenville SC, Tallahassee FL, Portsmouth NH, Portland ME, Allentown PA, Harrisburg PA, Effingham IL, Columnbia MO, Gillette WY

We hear this comment with regard to Texas too and I don't understand it. What does the state law regarding sales have to do with locations of superchargers? Tesla owners in Michigan and Texas, and those from other states who are driving to or passing through Michigan and Texas, have no less need for a supercharging network than those in California or other "Tesla-friendly" states. I haven't heard anyone express this sentiment regarding all the superchargers in Arizona where direct sales are also banned. Is Arizona excluded from this line of thinking because people frequently travel there from California?

I wasn't suggesting any kind of retribution on the part of Tesla--just musing that the very restrictive laws in MI will likely limit the number of potential customers there.

The other thing about MI, of course, is that unlike AZ and TX it's a peninsula, so the number of people driving through on their way to somewhere else is pretty much limited to the 94 corridor. The 2015 map looks more oriented to people going to the various MI beaches than anything else, which is fine--just sort of caught my eye, is all.

Michigan is great place to prove out Tesla's winter driving capabilities especially with the new Model D and "Smart Air Suspension." Of course, since we have colder weather here (it is currently 7 degrees out) it would also be beneficial to have Superchargers located closer together. The way it is currently planned looks good. The UP, however, could use some some Superchargers too.

Lots of Michigan SC's, but no Detroit supercharger (going into Canada for a SC might be an options once the Windsor SC is up and running). This gap will require anyone in a 60 to find L2 charging for a few hours to comfortably make it to Detroit and back from the nearest superchargers, and may make I-75 travel difficult for 60 owners.

Well, it's both--presumably there are places where it would make sense to build a supercharger based on geography but you decide not to do so because there aren't that many potential owners around.

I'm not begrudging the people of MI (my former home state!) their superchargers. Just kind of scratching my head about why there are 8 new superchargers planned for MI and (according to the map) none planned for the I-81 corridor in VA (for example).

In December, 2013 Tesla opened 20 new SuperChargers, and this past January they opened 23.

Last month there were 54 openings (16 in North America). If there's a similar small uptick this month that will mean an average of two per day. It would be very nice if that were to happen. So far there have been only three (none in North America).

All numbers taken from supercharge.info.

Well, it's both--presumably there are places where it would make sense to build a supercharger based on geography but you decide not to do so because there aren't that many potential owners around.

I'm not begrudging the people of MI (my former home state!) their superchargers. Just kind of scratching my head about why there are 8 new superchargers planned for MI and (according to the map) none planned for the I-81 corridor in VA (for example).

I'd be surprised if more than four of those actually get installed in 2015.

and I'd be surprised if superchargers not on the 2015 map don't appear or said the other way you will find superchargers that go live in 2015 that aren't on any map yet. State by state there are plenty of cases where something unplanned will come up and be a slam dunk install.

Last edited:
re: [MI superchargers]

and I'd be surprised if superchargers not on the 2015 map don't appear or said the other way you will find superchargers that go live in 2015 that aren't on any map yet.

Yep. The map has proven to be largely aspirational/for entertainment purposes only. Re: the I-81 corridor I mentioned above, others have posted rumors that those are coming sooner than the map would suggest. I am also pretty sure that the Supercharger on the Eastern Shore of MD wasn't on any map until it went live one day.

and I'd be surprised if superchargers not on the 2015 map don't appear or said the other way you will find superchargers that go live in 2015 that aren't on any map yet. State by state there are plenty of cases where something unplanned will come up and be a slam dunk install.

This^^. A good example is the one being built now in Springfield, IL. To the best of my knowledge, there was never a red "coming soon" dot on the TM map.