Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But would your average crackhead know the cable is not live.
Would they risk cutting it?

Possibly, but when someone is jonesing for a fix they will take crazy risks. It's not unusual for these same people to OD.

All I know about addiction is from a distance. I've been fortunate that addiction has never hit that close to me, though I do know someone who was a drug and alcohol counselor. He had a lot of stories, though he counsels DV perpetrators now (with my SO).

Possibly, but when someone is jonesing for a fix they will take crazy risks. It's not unusual for these same people to OD.

All I know about addiction is from a distance. I've been fortunate that addiction has never hit that close to me, though I do know someone who was a drug and alcohol counselor. He had a lot of stories, though he counsels DV perpetrators now (with my SO).
The thing is lots of these stalls have a lighted TESLA sign which could make an average crackhead assume there's electricity running through it and cable.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Came across a tech replacing the cables at the Grand Junction CO Supercharging Station; said it was routine. He also said that he had taken some "Powered by Coal" stickers off the stanchions there and at Price UT (the heart of Utah's coal country). I told him that they had been seen and removed at Green River UT as well.

Yes I passed through Green River many times and saw the 'Powered by coal' stickers and took them off. Just two days ago I saw the same stickers at on the Richfield Supercharger (also Utah) and took them off again. What's up with Utah?

Yes I passed through Green River many times and saw the 'Powered by coal' stickers and took them off. Just two days ago I saw the same stickers at on the Richfield Supercharger (also Utah) and took them off again. What's up with Utah?
The Tesla service guy appreciates you removing the stickers.

Price UT is the center of Utah's coal industry so the stickers could be from coal workers in the area. However, my guess is that it is part of the whole "long tailpipe: EVs aren't any cleaner than ICE cars," meme.

That part of Utah and western Colorado (Grand Junction) is very far right politically with, I presume, higher numbers of AGW deniers. How better to annoy those self-righteous Tesla drivers than to say they are "powered by coal?" Nevermind that even in the Intermountain West natural gas is taking over from coal for electricity production.

Then there are those of us with solar power, but I guess we don't count!

• Disagree
Reactions: SpoolUp
I encourage everyone who sees these stickers to use a pocket knife, carefully lift up a corner and then peel them off. Super easy!

Yes it's probably someone sympathizing with the coal industry. In Utah it's probably factual that most of the grid power is from coal. I don't think they are mean spirited, they want to advertise for coal. Unfortunately for them coal is a dying industry and I understand they are trying to save their jobs. But solar is already the second largest energy industry in the US. It has surpassed coal, nuclear, natural gas and everything else except petroleum. It's pointless to resist this change.

2 years ago Elon said most Superchargers will be equipped with solar canopies. Never happened. :/

Reactions: KJD
Am I the only one alarmed that, after Elon stated the number of superchargers would double prior to the M3 launch, that we are nowhere even close to that? Last I looked there were only one or two pending superchargers in the entire western US. And there's going to be hundreds of thousands of new Teslas supercharging soon? Scratching my head. Either they are hopelessly behind in supercharger construction or they know something we don't about the number of M3s coming online in the next year.

Reactions: scottf200
Am I the only one alarmed that, after Elon stated the number of superchargers would double prior to the M3 launch, that we are nowhere even close to that? Last I looked there were only one or two pending superchargers in the entire western US. And there's going to be hundreds of thousands of new Teslas supercharging soon? Scratching my head. Either they are hopelessly behind in supercharger construction or they know something we don't about the number of M3s coming online in the next year.

Agreed....probably looking to conserve cash....

I think they are making deals with other large companies that have real estate all over the country. For example the deal with HyVee. I can see them working with fast food chains who often have perfect locations near main roads and freeways. Once a deal is made with, say McDonald's, they can install many stations within a year. I also think Elon was referring to stalls, not unique locations.

Hasn't happened yet!

I'd call it short sighted to say it won't happen. Though I won't belittle you for complaining that it hasn't happened for more than a couple of sites as of today.

It would require more building permits and in many locations where the chargers are at a shopping center parking lot, there is very little chance it will happen. Honestly I think it's fine. Solar panels don't have to be exactly where the power is used. That's often not very practical. To the environment it makes no difference where the energy is produced and used.

• Love
Reactions: callmesam
That's really naive. It's definitely people wanting to piss off Tesla owners.

Yep, Rocky is right. It is Utah, after all. The state that has hired a Louisiana law firm to the tune of fourteen million taxpayer dollars to craft arguments and draft a lawsuit to force the federal government to divest itself of all public lands that are not labeled Washington, DC.

Utah could win public lands lawsuit, attorneys tell lawmakers

It would require more building permits and in many locations where the chargers are at a shopping center parking lot, there is very little chance it will happen. Honestly I think it's fine. Solar panels don't have to be exactly where the power is used. That's often not very practical. To the environment it makes no difference where the energy is produced and used.

As a solar power homeowner, I know how small of a dent the solar panels will make. Good for PR, but a canopy covering the Superchargers would only produce enough power for 1-2 charges per sunny day. In fact, in sunny areas, the canopy providing shade for the cars that are charging would probably provide as much energy savings as the PV.

Yep, Rocky is right. It is Utah, after all. The state that has hired a Louisiana law firm to the tune of fourteen million taxpayer dollars to craft arguments and draft a lawsuit to force the federal government to divest itself of all public lands that are not labeled Washington, DC.

Utah could win public lands lawsuit, attorneys tell lawmakers
They lost the big Outdoor Retailer show because of their terrible public lands policies.

As a solar power homeowner, I know how small of a dent the solar panels will make. Good for PR, but a canopy covering the Superchargers would only produce enough power for 1-2 charges per sunny day. In fact, in sunny areas, the canopy providing shade for the cars that are charging would probably provide as much energy savings as the PV.
Bertx is right. On a summer day each of our panels will make at best about 1.3 KwH (this week each generates 1KwH on a sunny day). Each would shade most of a Tesla. For the SuperCharger in Vacaville CA on a 106 degree F day shade would help, though it would still be 106F and the SCs and the charging Tesla AC fans would still all be roaring. In some places there might be space where more panels could fit it would not hurt to shade ICE car parking and maybe local stores would help fund the shade. Maybe.

Bertx is right. On a summer day each of our panels will make at best about 1.3 KwH (this week each generates 1KwH on a sunny day). Each would shade most of a Tesla. For the SuperCharger in Vacaville CA on a 106 degree F day shade would help, though it would still be 106F and the SCs and the charging Tesla AC fans would still all be roaring. In some places there might be space where more panels could fit it would not hurt to shade ICE car parking and maybe local stores would help fund the shade. Maybe.

What kind of panels do you have?!?

The industry standard 60 cell panels are ~39 inches by ~65 inches and one panel that size certainly won't cover most of a Tesla - or a parking stall, which is probably more relevant.

Wikipedia says the typical US parking space is 8.5 feet wide and 19 feet long = ~160 square feet. If the solar panels are exactly 39 inches by 65 inches, they are 17.6 square feet each - so you'd have the equivalent area of 9 of them if you covered a single parking space.

With the typical Supercharging session being around 35 kWh I think they said, that implies the solar canopy would cover about one charging session per 3 stalls per day.

There are some sites that probably only see that kind of traffic - and the canopies are useful both for comfort in the cars and for PR purposes...

Done right it's more than PR

* Shade for the parking spaces (in places where it is hot)
* Reduced cost of electricity (in places where it is expensive)
* Reduced stress on the grid (in places where the infrastructure is already stressed and superchargers are a new load)

add battery backup and it even gives you some off grid use during a longer outage even if it's at a reduced capacity / limited output compared to the normal grid operation.

Now sure you can say the square footage required to do X cars a day is Y. But that is one dimensional thinking about 1 to 1 relationship of source of power and replacing the grid. Local PV isn't about replacing the grid, it's in addition to the grid. Start thinking about all the pluses and minuses and you'll see it isn't just cost and PR value.