Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, here: Charging Partners | Tesla

I don’t think many people are aware of that page to be honest. There’s probably an email you can submit suggestions to as well.
That site seems to be just for destination chargers. Is there a resource page or other info for suggesting a supercharger site?
I am interested in this as well. I want to show a city manager the benefits of hosting a supercharger site and I don't know where to start. I'd like to know typical electricity usage, electrical service demands, landscaping and other site demands that Tesla is happy to provide.
Any ideas?

That site seems to be just for destination chargers. Is there a resource page or other info for suggesting a supercharger site?
I am interested in this as well. I want to show a city manager the benefits of hosting a supercharger site and I don't know where to start. I'd like to know typical electricity usage, electrical service demands, landscaping and other site demands that Tesla is happy to provide.
Any ideas?

Cities often have trouble with Tesla Supercharger sites on their property since they are not universal and only work with one car manufacturer. However, Tesla appears to be partnering with other charging networks to allow the installation of other DCFC pedestals alongside their pedestals in some newer sites. I suspect Tesla is using stats that show market share of US EVs so that they can install many more Tesla pedestals than others in such sites.

Why would you need to know electricity usage? Tesla and the DCFC owner pay for that. That's getting into engineering details that can be figured out later.

As far as landscaping, again, a one liner stating that Tesla will comply with local permitting standards is fine.

The biggest issue is finding a site that isn't overcrowded (ie. has extra parking spaces), is fairly close to either an urban population center or a freeway (depending on the type of SC), and ideally is close to services (restaurants and bathrooms). If you can find several potential sites, then just take your City Manager out to lunch and extol the virtues of have green creds. And of Doing Something to help residents without the city having to pay anything. Cities like those projects!

If you can get a City Manager on board, at least in principle, then Tesla will talk to you and/or the City Manager.

Cities often have trouble with Tesla Supercharger sites on their property since they are not universal and only work with one car manufacturer. However, Tesla appears to be partnering with other charging networks to allow the installation of other DCFC pedestals alongside their pedestals in some newer sites. I suspect Tesla is using stats that show market share of US EVs so that they can install many more Tesla pedestals than others in such sites.

Why would you need to know electricity usage? Tesla and the DCFC owner pay for that. That's getting into engineering details that can be figured out later.

As far as landscaping, again, a one liner stating that Tesla will comply with local permitting standards is fine.

The biggest issue is finding a site that isn't overcrowded (ie. has extra parking spaces), is fairly close to either an urban population center or a freeway (depending on the type of SC), and ideally is close to services (restaurants and bathrooms). If you can find several potential sites, then just take your City Manager out to lunch and extol the virtues of have green creds. And of Doing Something to help residents without the city having to pay anything. Cities like those projects!

If you can get a City Manager on board, at least in principle, then Tesla will talk to you and/or the City Manager.
In this particular case, the city is
  • Also the local power provider
  • Is in big trouble with city residents because they over-estimated future power requirements and contracted far more than is needed for 2 decades. Which they/we are paying for even if we don't use it.
  • Would benefit from a commercial customer that would use a lot of power.
  • Is an ideal spot for a supercharger.
Yeah, I'd like to know roughly how much power a Supercharger site uses each month.

Oh yeah and there is a new medium size mall currently under construction, right on the interstate.

General hand waving is good but I'm looking for some better numbers.

• Is in big trouble with city residents because they over-estimated future power requirements and contracted far more than is needed for 2 decades. Which they/we are paying for even if we don't use it.
Yeah, I'd like to know roughly how much power a Supercharger site uses each month.

Oh yeah and there is a new medium size mall currently under construction, right on the interstate.

Well, don't ask us to read your mind then and provide the info that you have at hand.

How big is the community (population). Are there other SCs there? Is it on a major freeway route that needs long distance Superchargers? That info will inform you approx. how many stalls and what kind Tesla might want to put there.

Usage is another matter. Looking at a 24 hour day, very busy sites (like in southern CA) probably average 60-70% site capacity. So a ten stall, 72 kW urban SC site might use 72 kW x 10 x 60% x 24h = 10 MWh of electricity per day. But that's really dependent on the other factors I asked above.

Reactions: APotatoGod

Are you talking about Georgetown, TX?

Well, don't ask us to read your mind then and provide the info that you have at hand.
I don't feel that I was holding anything back. I just didn't feel the need to describe the whole problem with all the hairy details you are asking for. Also, I can do my own homework. I'm just wondering at this point if any of the basic boilerplate info is described or estimated somewhere that I can leverage from.

I have several locations in mind. Georgetown is one of them. About half way between the overloaded Supercharger in Waco and the partially working Supercharger in Austin. Great location, just off I-35, easier on/off the freeway than the other 2, less traffic and generally more friendly to travellers.

But that wasn't my question. I'm looking for answers to the questions the city manager would ask, like what kind of electric consumption to expect per pedestal, how many retail customers per day, landscape and stall rental details etc. If I'm going to talk to this guy, I need at least some estimates to those questions.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Usage is another matter. Looking at a 24 hour day, very busy sites (like in southern CA) probably average 60-70% site capacity. So a ten stall, 72 kW urban SC site might use 72 kW x 10 x 60% x 24h = 10 MWh of electricity per day. But that's really dependent on the other factors I asked above.
This info is useful to me - I also figured about 1MWh/day per pedestal.

I'm looking for more info like this.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Stall rental? If you expect Tesla to pay for a location, that's very rare, and usually only when it's in a critical area that isn't already served. If you are just suggesting adding a supercharger in-between two existing superchargers the odds Tesla will pay for the location are basically nil.

Can't hurt to ask, but if you expect Tesla to pay it drastically trims your odds of getting them to even consider it.

Stall rental? If you expect Tesla to pay for a location, that's very rare, and usually only when it's in a critical area that isn't already served. If you are just suggesting adding a supercharger in-between two existing superchargers the odds Tesla will pay for the location are basically nil.

Can't hurt to ask, but if you expect Tesla to pay it drastically trims your odds of getting them to even consider it.
No, there are numerous known sites where Tesla pays rent on parking stalls, several thousand dollars a month.

Details like this are something I'm trying to find out more about.

No, there are numerous known sites where Tesla pays rent on parking stalls, several thousand dollars a month.

Details like this are something I'm trying to find out more about.
I didn't deny that it happens, but for the several that are paid, there are probably 1,600 that aren't. And given the options (especially in a already served market) they will probably not even consider it.

Reactions: swaltner
Seeing Tesla wont give out SC site usage you might need to record a sites usage via camera for 24 hours on a busy day and a quiet day. And then do some rough calculations based on the car type and length of stay.
I suspect you could actually sell this info to various companies if you could automate it.

Tesla Supercharger Rates Raised in My Area (Southern California) Is U.S. Nationwide or Worldwide?
I saw my first Y at the Oxnard, California Supercharger today, 1 July 2020. My 2016 Model S has unlimited free supercharging. Was surprised to find this owner was paying US$0.39 per kWh for the Supercharging session. This is much higher than I had known of before, approx $0.26 per kWh. Is this steep rise new? Is it nationwide or worldwide?
Oxnard Supercharger Rates.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: callmesam
Tesla Supercharger Rates Raised in My Area (Southern California) Is U.S. Nationwide or Worldwide?
I saw my first Y at the Oxnard, California Supercharger today, 1 July 2020. My 2016 Model S has unlimited free supercharging. Was surprised to find this owner was paying US$0.39 per kWh for the Supercharging session. This is much higher than I had known of before, approx $0.26 per kWh. Is this steep rise new? Is it nationwide or worldwide?View attachment 559409

The Time of Use rates like you are showing are fairly new and only apply to a few locations in California as far as I have seen.

Hi all, I am looking for some stats on the energy delivered from the supercharger network. I have seen this screen online previously. Has anyone seen it since and have a photo? I believe it can be found at some supercharger sites and Tesla stores. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ryan

Attachments

• Tesla supercharger network.PNG
    Tesla supercharger network.PNG
    181.5 KB · Views: 63
Hi all, I am looking for some stats on the energy delivered from the supercharger network. I have seen this screen online previously. Has anyone seen it since and have a photo? I believe it can be found at some supercharger sites and Tesla stores. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ryan
I have a random photo from November that I snapped in the Lynn, Mass service center New England.... Are you just looking for updated stats?

Hi Fiver, the stats and photo would be greatly appreciated if you would be happy to send over. I thought someone would have a snap, lockdown has limited my ability to get out and about.
This was just before Thanksgiving. And looking closer to the numbers on my photo compared to the one you used as a sample, the numbers do not line up at all. Unless yours is more recent... The numbers on mine are all lower.

Where did you get the other photo from?
IMG_9046.jpeg

This was just before Thanksgiving. And looking closer to the numbers on my photo compared to the one you used as a sample, the numbers do not line up at all. Unless yours is more recent... The numbers on mine are all lower.

Where did you get the other photo from?
View attachment 627400

Thank you for sharing. That is a bit disappointing there isn't a correlation. The original photo is from around 2 years ago from someone at a Supercharger cafe I believe. You can see the chain at this link (Tesla supercharger network is delivering about 55 000 000 Watts of energy.).

It is clear that your picture is further on in time as the number of superchargers in the red circles across regions has increased. I'm thinking the difference could be something to do with the wave shape across the screen? Perhaps the figures are only showing the distribution of energy for those chargers within that boundary? Or could it be something to do with the supercharger and destination charging network? The ratio of miles to KWh is exactly the same in both photos as well.

Thank you for sharing. That is a bit disappointing there isn't a correlation. The original photo is from around 2 years ago from someone at a Supercharger cafe I believe. You can see the chain at this link (Tesla supercharger network is delivering about 55 000 000 Watts of energy.).

It is clear that your picture is further on in time as the number of superchargers in the red circles across regions has increased. I'm thinking the difference could be something to do with the wave shape across the screen? Perhaps the figures are only showing the distribution of energy for those chargers within that boundary? Or could it be something to do with the supercharger and destination charging network? The ratio of miles to KWh is exactly the same in both photos as well.
The "wave shape" is showing what areas are in day and where it's night, i.e. what areas are in sunlight right now. So, it will be covering different areas depending on the time of day that the picture is taken. ;)

Reactions: XHabjab