Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The "wave shape" is showing what areas are in day and where it's night, i.e. what areas are in sunlight right now. So, it will be covering different areas depending on the time of day that the picture is taken. ;)

So to piece the total together. Ideally need three totally isolated views where only the U.S. then Europe then Asia are in day time. Not sure how feasible that is to get hold of.

So to piece the total together. Ideally need three totally isolated views where only the U.S. then Europe then Asia are in day time. Not sure how feasible that is to get hold of.

I read the info as total kWh delivered. The day time/ night time wave has no bearing on the amount of electricity delivered. Simply a representation of the moving day.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver and Rocky_H
COVID? For a large part of 2020, people were not travelling.
I thought the numbers at the bottom of the screen were cumulative since the beginning of the SC network. We need someone to snap a recent (2021) photo of the chart so we can start to get some comparisons.

At the same time, it wouldn't shock me if those numbers were all rough approximations not based on actual hard data. Just go up a certain arbitrary amount each day based on the total number of cars sold.

A pair of people on the east and west coast need to coordinate and snap a pic at the same time on the same day and compare the data.

I thought the numbers at the bottom of the screen were cumulative since the beginning of the SC network. We need someone to snap a recent (2021) photo of the chart so we can start to get some comparisons.

At the same time, it wouldn't shock me if those numbers were all rough approximations not based on actual hard data. Just go up a certain arbitrary amount each day based on the total number of cars sold.

A pair of people on the east and west coast need to coordinate and snap a pic at the same time on the same day and compare the data.
Well, they either can't be real numbers, the screen/data wasn't working correctly in one of the instances recently shown, or they aren't truly cumulative because the total kWh delivered went down between 2018 and 2020 (the two instances shown just up thread). In July of 2018 it was showing 405,590,576 kWh delivered. And in November 2020 it was showing 370,414,217 kWh delivered.

I will say that in the picture from November 2020, the map is a bit more than a year out of date. Just looking at North America, it lists about 300 too few supercharger locations (comparing to the numbers from Supercharge.info's charts for NA locations open around Thanksgiving 2020). You can see that the map doesn't have the TransCanadian Highway locations--which opened at the end of 2019--or the ones across North Dakota--which opened in late spring or early summer 2020. So, maybe we're just dealing with a messed up database.

I suspect that the metric has changed over time. I believe in 2018 that it was cumulative and probably global. It might be a stretch but i'd say it then goes to year to date data, potentially just for the chargers shown. Is anyone on good terms with a Tesla store/service site representative who might be able to shed some light on it?

It looks like if you have free supercharging, the cost of supercharging is not displayed anymore. Now it just shows the cost for idle fees.

This has been a pet-peeve of mine since tesla started charging $$ for supercharger use. My Model S is from 2015 and has free supercharging so I am completely in the dark about what Tesla is charging those without free supercharging.

even more annoying, this forum -- usually so informative on all matters Tesla and the EV life -- seems to respond to my questions about supercharger pricing with vague non-answers.

I'm curious regarding the pricing b/c as my Model S ages, she will need to be replaced. at that point I will be joining the ranks of those who must pay for SCing.

I would like to figure out how much I will be on the hook for.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
This has been a pet-peeve of mine since tesla started charging $$ for supercharger use. My Model S is from 2015 and has free supercharging so I am completely in the dark about what Tesla is charging those without free supercharging.

even more annoying, this forum -- usually so informative on all matters Tesla and the EV life -- seems to respond to my questions about supercharger pricing with vague non-answers.

I'm curious regarding the pricing b/c as my Model S ages, she will need to be replaced. at that point I will be joining the ranks of those who must pay for SCing.

I would like to figure out how much I will be on the hook for.
In my 2018 Model 3, when you look at the superchargers on the map and then click on a specific location, a price per kWh is often displayed. Is that not the case for your car?
In Northern California, that price is often around $0.29/kWh.

In my 2018 Model 3, when you look at the superchargers on the map and then click on a specific location, a price per kWh is often displayed. Is that not the case for your car?
In Northern California, that price is often around $0.29/kWh.

In early Model S with free supercharging (eg. my 2014 S85), the map info does NOT display the price per kWh. It does display the idle fee for the location.
This is somewhat reasonable as this car doesn't pay per-kWh fees. Less reasonable is that there is no way to get the prices from outside the car (it's not on the website 'find us' map for example).

You seem to be blaming people for not giving you a concrete permanent answer, but the problem is that there isn't one. Someone could give you an answer, but that's only applicable for that specific location in that instant. All the locations are different, and Tesla changes pricing every week or two anyway, so it's going to be outdated soon after you look at it, so people are being vague because they know you will be angry that the answer is "wrong" pretty soon.

In early Model S with free supercharging (eg. my 2014 S85), the map info does NOT display the price per kWh. It does display the idle fee for the location.
This is somewhat reasonable as this car doesn't pay per-kWh fees. Less reasonable is that there is no way to get the prices from outside the car (it's not on the website 'find us' map for example).
I imagine at some point Tesla is going to make this realtime pricing information per SuperCharger location available on an app or website, especially if they're planning to open up all the SuperChargers for non-Tesla EVs to use (and they don't have an in-car console to tell them the pricing or availability).

I imagine at some point Tesla is going to make this realtime pricing information per SuperCharger location available on an app or website, especially if they're planning to open up all the SuperChargers for non-Tesla EVs to use (and they don't have an in-car console to tell them the pricing or availability).
Good point; it'd be odd to keep that data secret after Superchargers are opened to non-Teslas. OTOH, if the pricing varies depending on the car driven, then the app might display different prices for different people.

For @Galve2000, you might try going to a Tesla store and seeing if you can get pricing information from a display car. Since these cars haven't been sold, they might be like a Tesla with free Supercharging and not show a price; but maybe you'll luck out and be able to get prices. That said, the prices might vary quite a bit over time, especially over the months or years between now and when you replace your current car (unless that replacement is imminent).

FYI, I have "pay per use" supercharging on my Model 3, but have some referral credits so don't have any charges until I use them up. Mytesla accounts shows history like this:

sc-credits.png

It is doing it as "miles" instead of kWh, but isn't showing me the conversion rate.