Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla-Supercharger-stalink-1.jpeg

"In order to make the Supercharger experience better, CEO Elon Musk has been promising to deploy Wi-Fi connectivity at the stations.
Musk, who happens to also be CEO of SpaceX, has hinted at using SpaceX’s Starlink internet system to deploy internet at Supercharger stations.
Now Tesla appears to have started the deployment, as several Tesla owners have spotted Starlink antennas at Supercharger stations.
SpaceX has recently been expanding its Starlink internet service, which is currently powered by a constellation of over 1,000 satellites. Starlink now has over 100,000 users, and is growing fast. A Tesla owner going by u/HollywoodSX on Reddit spotted one at the Lake City, Florida Supercharger station:"

Tesla-Supercharger-stalink-1.jpeg

"In order to make the Supercharger experience better, CEO Elon Musk has been promising to deploy Wi-Fi connectivity at the stations.
Musk, who happens to also be CEO of SpaceX, has hinted at using SpaceX’s Starlink internet system to deploy internet at Supercharger stations.
Now Tesla appears to have started the deployment, as several Tesla owners have spotted Starlink antennas at Supercharger stations.
SpaceX has recently been expanding its Starlink internet service, which is currently powered by a constellation of over 1,000 satellites. Starlink now has over 100,000 users, and is growing fast. A Tesla owner going by u/HollywoodSX on Reddit spotted one at the Lake City, Florida Supercharger station:"

Starlink has nearly 2,000 sats in orbits now. No reason from the sats point of view that they can't roll these out immediately to all US sites. The limitation is on the dishes to put on the poles at the actual supercharger locations.

1636958795384.png

Shell 1 is complete (they launched about 1700 for shell one to have some spares) and there are a few hundred sats in shells the 53.2 degree and 70 degree shells (some confusion between sources as to call it shell 3 or 4).

There are a few superchargers in Canada (near Edmonton around 53.5 N) that need that 70 degree shell for better coverage but could get usable service on the 53.x degree shells. So for 3 or 4 locations in Canada they'll have to wait for next summer or fall for coverage to fill in north of 53 degrees if they want less dropouts and higher bandwidth.

Oh yeah, Soldotna, Alaska has one in construction around 60.5 N that will definitely have to wait for the 70 degree shell next summer/fall.

Similar for Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, and the northernmost parts of Scotland.

All the superchargers in the southern hemisphere have full coverage because they are inside 50 degrees S.

It is nice to have internet connection at any place, but is that such a game changer here? LTE or 3G is available at almost all places, and so why would I need to use this connection when I am at an SC?
A number of owners would like the additional speed for watching videos and gaming during Supercharging.

A number of owners would like the additional speed for watching videos and gaming during Supercharging.

Along these lines, I'm sure a significant consideration for TSLA is paying lower network fees to AT&T. Video over cell connections can add up to big charges in a hurry. I'm sure Elon would love to send some of that revenue to SpaceX instead. Makes perfect sense.

If Tesla is intending to redirect traffic from the cell network to Starlink, does that mean that they will pre-configure the cars through OTA update to automatically connect to the WiFi at those sites without driver intervention?
I'm pretty sure that they already do that. Just like they auto-connect to WiFi at Tesla Service Centers.

If Tesla is intending to redirect traffic from the cell network to Starlink, does that mean that they will pre-configure the cars through OTA update to automatically connect to the WiFi at those sites without driver intervention?

MP3Mike just beat me to this post, but in case it's still useful:

There's already a protocol for vehicles to automatically connect to Service Center WiFi. From the owner's manual:

Note
At Tesla Service Centers, Model 3 automatically connects to the Tesla Service Wi-Fi network.

I would like the WiFi for using my phone or laptop at Supercharger Stations. Currently I have to search for free WiFi at businesses near the Supercharger Stations when I am on a road trip. The in-car browser is too limited in function and speed to be useful.

Has anyone tried watching streaming videos from one of those Starlink equipped superchargers? Does it work when your car is parked at a service center?

The original poster of the image of the Starlink dish said he never had a chance to test it or even check the nearby WiFi networks available, but if anyone lives nearby to Lake City, Florida, they could give it a test! Lake City, FL Supercharger | Tesla

Has anyone tried watching streaming videos from one of those Starlink equipped superchargers? Does it work when your car is parked at a service center?
The service center will have faster internet, as it's high-speed hard wire delivered business internet. If just a few Teslas start using streaming the connection will likely bog down, I have not heard what Tesla's strategy is for business users. It will certainly be better than cellular connectivity, except that when one cell tower gets busy new users are connected to a more distant tower for bandwidth.

I don't think they will provide free internet for your laptop, they are just trying to save the cellular congestion and perhaps cost on their end to keep the cellular data unlimited.

Might make sense to track info on these locations so I thought I'd post this:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Does Starlink use a directional antenna like regular satellite TV or internet? If it doesn't, Tesla may be planning on equipping the cars with Starlink receivers at some point and drop the cellular connection. Or at least drop it on new cars.

Does Starlink use a directional antenna like regular satellite TV or internet? If it doesn't, Tesla may be planning on equipping the cars with Starlink receivers at some point and drop the cellular connection. Or at least drop it on new cars.
Yes, it is highly directional, and adjusts continually to match the satellites. It is also the size of a pizza box. It wouldn't work in downtown areas with high buildings, in a parking garage, or even a carport.

i.e. you aren't going to see it come standard on a Tesla, ever. (It could be optional on the Cybertruck for access when off-road, but I doubt they will offer it directly.)

Yes, it is highly directional, and adjusts continually to match the satellites.
Um, directional like pointed up, yes, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have motorized tracking to move to adjust to satellite positions.
Tesla may be planning on equipping the cars with Starlink receivers at some point and drop the cellular connection. Or at least drop it on new cars.
It is also the size of a pizza box.
I'm pretty sure that won't ever happen because of this. It's not a little unobtrusive thing. It's about a foot and a half in diameter, so is going to look pretty terrible and hideous to try to attach to a car.

Um, directional like pointed up, yes, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have motorized tracking to move to adjust to satellite positions.
Actually it does. You just plug it in and it aims itself, and keeps itself pointed where it needs to be.

It's about a foot and a half in diameter, so is going to look pretty terrible and hideous to try to attach to a car.
The new version is a rectangle:

1637097226040.png

1637097320051.png

Actually it does. You just plug it in and it aims itself, and keeps itself pointed where it needs to be.
Oh, OK. I had not heard that in any of the articles I've read about it. That seemed unlikely in such a small consumer device, which seemed equivalent to things like the DirectTV satellite dishes, which do not move. And with StarLink being a spread out, mesh networked setup of satellites, that seemed unnecessary to have to move where it was aiming.