Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the first time in a long time (I think) there are no superchargers under construction in California, that we know about anyway. Except for Fremont 2 which doesn't seem to really be under construction.

It could be that it's just not longer necessary to put even more flags on California. A bunch of SC's there have just popped up without appearing on the map. The map itself seems a 50/50 predictor of the future - a fairly cloudy crystal ball. We just need more scouts!

Over the past ten days 21 new superchargers have opened! Quite the end of year rush. Well, maybe just typical. In 2015, from Dec. 14-23 there were also 21 new superchargers opened. And in 2014 there were 25.

In December 2014 there were 51 new superchargers opened, in December 2015 there were 33, and so far this year there have been 33. Let's hope for a strong finish!

(thanks as usual, Fred....)
Electrek is just reporting on the latest set of tweets from Mr Musk, which suggest that other automakers' "ultra-fast 350kW" - versus today's top SpCs at 150kW - are going to be considered "mere child's play" when put up against Tesla's V3 Superchargers.

Amp-hours & k-Dubs & Big Watts....Oh My.

THIS portion of Mr Musk's latest tweet-storm: Yes, grid won't be needed for moderate use Superchargers in non-snowy regions however, has me both grinning: Yay! Off-grid! and crying: Not very prospective for Alaska....unless we can modify "moderate" to "very, very moderate". But after all, in our linchpin location of Paxson, during the bottom half of the year one can lie down dead-drunk in the middle of either the Denali OR Richardson Highways and it will be hours before you get run over.

Last edited:
The following is a list of the North American superchargers which opened in the last month and upcoming superchargers TMC has heard about. Sites with a known location (and a couple others known to be in permitting) are shown at supercharge.info; details of all sites are at the Supercharger Progress wiki. 11 new North American stations opened over the last month, and with a number of stations close to being ready we can expect 8-10 new stations this month.

LocationSite Known?Status
Little Rock, AR no unknown
Fish Camp, CA yes operational
Fremont (Kato Road), CA yes under construction hiatus
Groveland, CA yes operational
Santa Ana, CA yes operational
Santa Barbara, CA yes in permitting?
South Lake Tahoe, CA no unknown
Twentynine Palms, CA yes operational
Brush, CO yes operational
Loveland, CO yes operational
Naples, FL yes under construction
Kuttawa, KY yes operational
Aberdeen, MD maybe in permitting?
Cumberland, MD maybe in site negotiations
Alexandria, MN no unknown
Clearwater, MN yes operational
Lima, MT yes awaiting power on & testing
Statesville, NC yes in permitting
Fargo, ND no searching for site
Grand Island, NE yes under construction
Lincoln, NE yes awaiting power on / testing
Las Cruces, NM maybe in site negotiations
Santa Fe, NM yes in permitting
Las Vegas (L.V. Blvd), NV yes awaiting meter
Mount Gilead, OH yes operational
Klamath Falls, OR yes permitting complete
Moosic, PA yes awaiting power on / testing
Myrtle Beach, SC yes in permitting
Arlington, TX yes in permitting
Fort Stockton, TX yes in permtitting
Junction, TX yes awaiting power on / testing
Midland, TX yes operational
Ozona, TX yes under construction
Texarkana, TX yes operational
Van Horn, TX yes under construction
Wichita Falls, TX no in site selection
Aberdeen, WA yes operational
Green Bay, WI no unknown
Stevens Point, WI no unknown
Morgantown, WV yes in design / permitting
Wheatland, WY no unknown
Merritt, BC yes under construction
Oakville, ON yes under construction
Lévis, QC no unknown

A few stations are near ready to open, but the pace of North American supercharger build-out is looking alot like it was this time last year, when only 6 stations opened from February through April. Perhaps the delay is because of the change over to the 3rd generation supercharger that makes 350 kW look like a "children's toy" or perhaps they are just being slow like last year.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
A few stations are near ready to open, but the pace of North American supercharger build-out is looking alot like it was this time last year, when only 6 stations opened from February through April. Perhaps the delay is because of the change over to the 3rd generation supercharger that makes 350 kW look like a "children's toy" or perhaps they are just being slow like last year.

It's possible. And perhaps they are waiting for some cash to start rolling in from payed supercharging. But really, it's dead of winter, so I wouldn't expect a bunch of new projects to be started this time of year.

Or we might just not be finding the new projects yet. A significant number of Superchargers haven't been found until Tesla announces them, and some of the obvious remaining projects are in pretty remote areas like West Texas and southern New Mexico.

Was it ever clear *why* there was so little activity in mid/late winter last year?

At that time, too, people said "maybe we're just not finding them." In hindsight, that wasn't the case: there really seemed to be a genuine construction slowdown. I imagine the same thing is happening here, too.

Winter weather seems like a possibility, although realistically, it shouldn't hamper construction in the south. Maybe something to do with Tesla's short-term cash flow? Whatever the reason, history seems to be repeating itself, and I wonder why.

Was it ever clear *why* there was so little activity in mid/late winter last year?

At that time, too, people said "maybe we're just not finding them." In hindsight, that wasn't the case: there really seemed to be a genuine construction slowdown. I imagine the same thing is happening here, too.

Winter weather seems like a possibility, although realistically, it shouldn't hamper construction in the south. Maybe something to do with Tesla's short-term cash flow? Whatever the reason, history seems to be repeating itself, and I wonder why.
Your memory and mine disagree. I recall there were a whole bunch of new ones that came on line with no warning around March/April, that clearly had been in progress during winter. But I don't have a good source of proof, just that I felt gratified after pointing out to people all winter that they didn't know what was in progress.

• Informative
Your memory and mine disagree. I recall there were a whole bunch of new ones that came on line with no warning around March/April, that clearly had been in progress during winter. But I don't have a good source of proof, just that I felt gratified after pointing out to people all winter that they didn't know what was in progress.
According to supercharge.info, 4 new locations came online in North America between March and April of 2016. They were:

Warsaw, NC (2016-03-11)
Champaign, IL (2016-03-23)
Terre Haute, IN (2016-03-30)
Pearl, MS (2016-03-31)

The next to come online was Hawthorne, NV on May 3rd.

This happens every year--a big rush around year end and less activity the rest of the year. My thought is that it's just the way the budget works. Start in Jan with a more-or-less clean slate, get the locations, secure the permits, and for the most part by the time they are ready to open it's Dec/Jan.

• Informative