Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, a plug-in hybrid might serve as training wheels for those who are afraid to go fully electric.

So like you, I think it could do some good even if the spending is wasteful.
Although I agree with the idea of encouraging PHEVs through tax credit, I also believe that USEPA and other jurisdictions should test PHEVs with no plug-in charge. That's basically how they are used by many drivers. Fleet mileage estimates should be based in this mode of operation.

Also, a plug-in hybrid might serve as training wheels for those who are afraid to go fully electric.

We should not encourage consumers to buy the worse of combined ICE and EV technology. It would be better to get a higher MPG on an ICE than the hybrid hauling around the extra weight of a pathetic 7 kWh system. On the flip side the EV system has to haul around a dino system and all the extra components to make burning gas compliant.

Maybe with this bill I can finally get a discount on a LaFerrari.

Political realities:

Toyota Motor Manufacturing West Virginia, Inc. (TMMWV) is Toyota’s only combined engine and transmission plant in North America. Additionally, TMMWV is the only manufacturing plant in North America to produce hybrid transaxles.

The Grant Town power plant is also the link between the coal industry and the personal finances of Joe Manchin III, the Democrat who rose through state politics to reach the United States Senate, where, through the vagaries of electoral politics, he is now the single most important figure shaping the nation’s energy and climate policy.…
Despite its struggles, the community had something valuable to outsiders: mountains and mountains of gob.
Gob, an acronym for “garbage of bituminous,” is waste coal — low-quality material dug from a mine that is mixed with rock and clay, making it harder and less efficient to burn. For decades, dark gray gob piled up on the ground outside coal mines in West Virginia, barren heaps often reaching several stories high.
But in 1978, worried about the country’s dependence on foreign oil, Congress passed a law to encourage alternative energy sources. That led to the opening of several gob-burning plants, including Grant Town.

Yes, if there was at least one more Democrat in the Senate, this would all have been irrelevant.

My "wow" skill for Optimus Prime would be for them to have it sit a couple of feet behind the sign-in table. As attendees come in and check in, or whatever, Optimus would be listening and watching. Once the first Speaker starts and everyone is seated in the main hall, Optimus would get up and walk into the hall, walking up and down the aisles looking for a seat. The Speaker would pretend to see it, and ask Optimus what it was doing. When Optimus answered it was trying to find an empty seat the Speaker on the stage would ask Optimus who was sitting near where it was standing, and maybe one of them wouldn't mind coming down and standing at the back of the stage. So the Speaker asks for the names of those people.
Because the Robot had been behind the check in table it had matched everyone's name to their face so it would start pointing to people and saying their correct name. The seats would need cleaning.
They should invite Russ Mitchell, GoJo and Mark BS to the event, and have them organise an environment for Optimus to do tricks in. There is no way they would be pre-arranging the obstacles to help the robot 🤣

Political realities:

Toyota Motor Manufacturing West Virginia, Inc. (TMMWV) is Toyota’s only combined engine and transmission plant in North America. Additionally, TMMWV is the only manufacturing plant in North America to produce hybrid transaxles.

The Grant Town power plant is also the link between the coal industry and the personal finances of Joe Manchin III, the Democrat who rose through state politics to reach the United States Senate, where, through the vagaries of electoral politics, he is now the single most important figure shaping the nation’s energy and climate policy.…
Despite its struggles, the community had something valuable to outsiders: mountains and mountains of gob.
Gob, an acronym for “garbage of bituminous,” is waste coal — low-quality material dug from a mine that is mixed with rock and clay, making it harder and less efficient to burn. For decades, dark gray gob piled up on the ground outside coal mines in West Virginia, barren heaps often reaching several stories high.
But in 1978, worried about the country’s dependence on foreign oil, Congress passed a law to encourage alternative energy sources. That led to the opening of several gob-burning plants, including Grant Town.

And that's how the sauce is made.

The 7kWh provision appears to be pandering direct to Manchin. I wonder how much Toyota contributes to his campaign . . .

Forever grumpy. ;)

@StarFoxisDown! won't be happy until TSLA is over $1200 and making new all-time highs. And I totally understand where he is coming from with the manipulation and all and the fact that it's always more fun to be making new highs rather than dinking around in the $800's (or worse).

I think the difference between him and me is that I'm not in any hurry because I'm confident it will get there and start making new highs without too much dinking around. That means I'm happy right now. It's mo' betta' this way too.

Regarding the investment grade change, does anyone know what the numbers look like in terms of how many fund managers are unable to buy Tesla and also an estimate of how much of the market they represent?

Does it make sense that at this point the stocked is capped, less so by the market makers and more by the fact these funds, by their own policies aren't able to buy Tesla due to the credit rating?

@StarFoxisDown! won't be happy until TSLA is over $1200 and making new all-time highs. And I totally understand where he is coming from with the manipulation and all and the fact that it's always more fun to be making new highs rather than dinking around in the $800's (or worse).

I think the difference between him and me is that I'm not in any hurry because I'm confident it will get there and start making new highs without too much dinking around. That means I'm happy right now. It's mo' betta' this way too.

Yep. Given Tesla's quarter earnings coming up over the next year, a new ATH is pretty much assured by this time next year. We just need to wait for it.

I'd say the odds are higher that @StarFoxisDown! is unhappy at $1200 because the beta is still lagging and the call wall at $1205 is being protected. Rinse and repeat every $50 until the stock is at $8500. At that point, it will just be mildly content of:

the-office-steve-carell.gif

I’m a patient man in terms of the monetary value simply because I don’t have a need for the money anytime soon, my window for when I would need funds of any sizable amount would be 2025 but by then Discord will have IPO’d so I might not even sell any TSLA even then.

Most of my impatience comes from watching blatant manipulations time and time again. The hit pieces that were times with bear raids were straight out of the 2018-2019 wall st playbook. 2020 was a transformation year for every Tesla investor and I absolutely enjoyed the net worth explosion.

But dear lord did I savor watching MM’s get their face ripped off time and time and time again all throughout 2020 as they kept trying to do the same old shenanigans. Hoping for a repeat of that in the 2nd half of this year

And that's how the sauce is made.

The 7kWh provision appears to be pandering direct to Manchin. I wonder how much Toyota contributes to his campaign . . .
Even if they didn’t, the people working there are his constituents and he has to try to protect them. I blame Toyota for not even making an attempt at EV production and helping to transition their employees.

Now the gob-to-hydrogen angle is just plain self-serving.

Problem is manufacturers spend an extra $1000 to make a plug in hybrid with minimum battery requirement. Now car eligible for $7500 tax credit. Offer the car for say $5000 above ICE version and advertise after tax credit you get the car for $2500 cheaper. Big extra profit, little Climate Change benefit.