Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whoa.. has anybody experienced this?

AP took evasive maneuver when collision risk emanated from the REAR - while under manual control : teslamotors

upload_2019-6-20_16-0-34.png

Irish battery breakthrough could help save the planet

Do you want your phone battery to last longer? Are you curious about electric cars but afraid they won’t take you far enough? Would you like to install a home wind turbine but aren’t thrilled with its storage capacity?

A team of Irish academics may just have solved these problems. In a highly significant breakthrough, scientists at AMBER, the Science Foundation Ireland Centre for Advanced Materials and BioEngineering Research, and Nokia Bell Labs have found an inexpensive way to make batteries more compact, scalable for industry, quicker to charge and with 250 per cent more energy density than any other battery on the market.

The findings of Valeria Nicolosi, professor of nanomaterials and advanced microscopy at Trinity College, Jonathan Coleman, professor of chemical physics in the school of physics at the same university, and Paul King from Nokia Bell Labs, could mean improved battery life in common devices such as mobile phones, remote controls and children’s toys, as well as electric cars being able to run for longer. And there’s new potential for batteries to store excess energy generated from renewable sources such as wind, wave and solar.

Irish battery breakthrough could help save the planet

Do you want your phone battery to last longer? Are you curious about electric cars but afraid they won’t take you far enough? Would you like to install a home wind turbine but aren’t thrilled with its storage capacity?

A team of Irish academics may just have solved these problems. In a highly significant breakthrough, scientists at AMBER, the Science Foundation Ireland Centre for Advanced Materials and BioEngineering Research, and Nokia Bell Labs have found an inexpensive way to make batteries more compact, scalable for industry, quicker to charge and with 250 per cent more energy density than any other battery on the market.

The findings of Valeria Nicolosi, professor of nanomaterials and advanced microscopy at Trinity College, Jonathan Coleman, professor of chemical physics in the school of physics at the same university, and Paul King from Nokia Bell Labs, could mean improved battery life in common devices such as mobile phones, remote controls and children’s toys, as well as electric cars being able to run for longer. And there’s new potential for batteries to store excess energy generated from renewable sources such as wind, wave and solar.

I want to believe, but man am I skeptical of "breakthroughs" these days.

The funny thing is, we're almost the opposite wrt the car. We keep running into quirks with the MX, and bought it for FSD, which looks like it will take longer than I thought. Worse, we bought last Dec 31, and shortly thereafter Tesla lowered the price, announced the revamp, and gave away FSD.

Honestly, we all know that CR has been negative on Tesla the last couple years, but there's a good reason the X is on their top 5 most unreliable cars list. We want an X, but after spending a couple years (after the X went into production) reading all the nightmarish problems people were having with them, I knew we'd never buy one. I had one for 2 weeks as a loaner - oh my!! What a car. In function, it's truly amazing. But, there's just too much that can go wrong - and often does.

What have your problems been? I'm hoping you say the falcon wing doors. I'd love to buy an X as it is, minus those doors. The self presenting doors are totally awesome. Wish the S had that also.

Reactions: neroden
At almost seventy, and a retired soldier ~ a real soldier; you know one of those poor dumb B's that served during Vietnam era; I just do not cry much. Problem is I bought 37 shares of TSLA the other day.

My son-in-law, a man that likes to make me laugh or poke fun at me, not 100% sure, forwarded to me two YouTube links with the instructions that I watch this one first.
and that I watch the 2d link last
Watching them brought me out of the funk, thank goodness. Most of you probably have watched them already, and that is okay.

Tomorrow, the sun will shine again ~ My wife of forty-five almost six years will join me on our drive from low-tax rate Washington county, to Portland to trade-in our current two year old X (making this my one and only X ~ married humor) and pick up our second X. Xena is two years three months old and needs new tires:) Oh, and they started charging us for Spotify:-(

Poor Christian, I was joking with him that I would be the last car delivered on the 30th of June at 3 pm. But no, he had to come right back at me with the fact that they would be working until 11:59 pm (2359 for my good 'ol days) the 30th; and, and Hawaii was an hour later. Screw it I said, get me the car sooner and let someone else bask in the glory of 2Q19 delivery results.

Now get me that damned Model T (pickup truck).
Welcome back Dragon Watch. Haven’t seem a post in a long time. Congrats on X20

You are really paranoid. Why it can't be just personal worldview of SA owner? Why it is really important to you guys that it must have some sinister state support?

Oh, it could be the personal world views of the original SA owner/editor, *and* his successor editor, *and* a random former Israeli spy. Starts to seem coincidental with 3 though.

Could just be a coincidence, of course.

Tamborinos clients are short hedge funds, such as Citadel, hence his views are tailored
To help their positions. Short hedge funds are his client base. The hedge funds
Expect and even demand he have a negative view.

@Drax7 or anyone else, can you provide links or other information to back up this information that Tamberrino's clients are predominantly hedge funds that are short? I'm trying to get some solid information on the characteristics of his clients. Much appreciated, and I think the TMC investors would be interested as well. Thx!

Breakthroughs doesn't matter. Scalability is more important. Anyone can make some breakthrough tech in a lab. But can you make millions of said thing within a reasonable time frame without costing billions of dollars?
I agree. This reminds me of the newspaper articles that pop up a few times a year claiming some lab has found the cure for cancer. It's always in some rat model and means nothing for potential human use. I always wonder why that particular lab's work percolated up to catch media's interest.

Reactions: wipster and neroden
Honestly, we all know that CR has been negative on Tesla the last couple years, but there's a good reason the X is on their top 5 most unreliable cars list. We want an X, but after spending a couple years (after the X went into production) reading all the nightmarish problems people were having with them, I knew we'd never buy one. I had one for 2 weeks as a loaner - oh my!! What a car. In function, it's truly amazing. But, there's just too much that can go wrong - and often does.

What have your problems been? I'm hoping you say the falcon wing doors. I'd love to buy an X as it is, minus those doors. The self presenting doors are totally awesome. Wish the S had that also.

The FWDs failing to go up all the way or open at all is one. Another is the car locked up on an off ramp a month ago. Eg No accelerator or turn signal. It has intermittently failed to go into AP and cruise control recently, on the highway and expressway under ideal conditions. Front windows have failed to roll up many times. Other smaller issues. These have all happened over the last few months. We didn’t run into this many problems with our Lexus 400h over 15 years, much less in 3 months.

I didn’t know the 400h was on the top 5 for unreliability, but it’s completely deserved. I just never imagined that a car this day and age could be so flaky.

• Informative
Reactions: izemize and neroden
This is plain and simpel market manipulation. Timing a day before option expiration, a week before #s are released and no material info has been published recently except positive news form the CEO that a record quarter is likely.

A downgrade to $158?? What took them so long? All the stated info was available 2 months ago. Citing model Y cannibalization.. Model Y was unveilied 3 months ago.

It is ridicolous at how many fronts Tesla is fighting.
Regardless of their actual words, all their "analysis" reads the same: "We're either stupid or crooked -- you decide!"