Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a reminder that last Mon, Feb 3, 2020 we opened at $673.69 so we're up about $130 or +20% over 1 week...

Now me Winthorp, would you sell your Rouchefoucauld for 50 bux? :p

rfpw0.jpg

Cheers!

That was only a week ago?!

Did I hop into an alternate simulation that runs through my life 10x faster than normal?

Upward volatility almost sounds like oxymoron. lol
So you saying as price get around 900, due to high amount of Call options that could be executed, which will create downward pressure due closing of the call options?
Isn't this how it works?-

Executing call options = more share purchased so SP rises

Closing losing the call options by selling the options only raises the SP if the resulting money is used to buy TSLA shares, no?

Reactions: FrankSG
Max Pain for this week is currently 710$, far below the current SP of 818$ (!)

I (and I believe others) have previously made comments to the effect that some contracts could be so far OTM or ITM that they would not influence the Max Pain, and that these outliers should be ignored in favour of an 'effective Max Pain'. Such comments are not supported by the definition of Max Pain.

The actual definition of Max Pain is the SP where the gain of the holders of the options is minimal.

So let's look at this definition, specifically for how it can create a pressure on the SP to move from its current value down to(wards) that of the Max Pain. The below assumes that Max Pain is lower than the current SP, but an identical reasoning can be made for the opposite case.

Several things happen with the options when the SP makes a downward move towards that of the Max Pain, of say X [dollars], X > 0:
1) All put options that are already in the money each increase their gain (per share) by X,
2) All call options that remain in the money each decrease their gain (per share) by X,
3) All call options that were ITM by an amount of at most X become worthless (OTM to be strict),
4) All put options that were OTM by an amount of less than X become ITM.

For 1) and 2) the actual strike price does not matter in the context of Max Pain. What matters is the difference in the number of the two kinds of opposing contracts times X, this is the change in gain. A larger number of call options than put options means that the max pain supports the price move, by this net difference times X.
So for these (deep) ITM contracts, it is really the net number of put vs call contracts that determine whether they support a max pain price pressure.

For 3) and 4): If the intrinsic value of the call options in 3) prior to the move exceeds the intrinsic value of the ITM puts in 4) after the move then the max pain supports the price move.

In total the max pain pressure on the SP is:
The contribution of 1)+2) i.e. the net difference of far ITM put vs call contracts times the price move X and to that added the difference between the gain by the put options that end up ITM by less than X and the loss of the call options that were ITM by less than X prior to the price move.

As such, the max pain does not support the statement that certain contracts with a strike price very far ITM can be ignored and consequently there is no 'effective Max Pain' - there is just the computed Max Pain.

Unless I have misunderstood everything, in which case I will be interested to learn how.

Last edited:
They should have had to pay the price for their mispricing. What this illustrates is those playing the game at the highest levels, the market makers, actually don't know what they are doing. But that they can hack together a corrupt solution to "fix" their gross negligence.
Nice insight; I'll just point out that the MM did pay a hefty price for the options mispricing, just not as much as it would have been without manipulations

In the US, Model 3 has the highest resale value after 1 year of ownership (only losing 5.5%):
Tesla Model 3 tops list of cars that hold their value | The Driven

If that isn't a strong indicator of demand (and supply constraint) I don't know what is!

I know a few people who’d love to get into a Tesla, but just can’t swing for a new one. They’ve been looking around for used 3s and there just aren’t any that don’t scream, ‘****! That price isn’t much different than a brand new one?!”

So, as a followup reply to @FrankSG, the biggest open interest spike on the call side for this Friday's expiry (02/14) is at $900, and this is the daily breakdown on when they were bought:

As you can see 95%+ of the open interest $900 contracts were bought when the share price was above or near $900 already, with very high implied volatility and very high premiums. I don't expect options market makers to have much trouble delta hedging these, should the share price approach $900 again, while keeping a fair share of the premiums.

The put open interest is basically zero in the $700-$1,000 price range for this week, so I'd expect there to be upwards volatility, should the price approach or decisively break through $900.

Looks like OI for these contracts alone doubled over the weekend. Sitting @ 10.1k now.

I know a few people who’d love to get into a Tesla, but just can’t swing for a new one. They’ve been looking around for used 3s and there just aren’t any that don’t scream, ‘****! That price isn’t much different than a brand new one?!”
maybe it's just me, but it seems used S's are priced more competitively than used 3's

We are now in a world where 15 second swings equal the IPO price.

And that, my friend, illustrates the power of compounding when one learns how to Buy and HOLD (rather than nervously exiting positions of great companies due to perceived "over-valuation") !

Life is much better when one is not concerned about whether it goes up or down a couple hundred thousand in an hour. Because in the end it's all just white noise.