Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 593040
In investment/trading news I'm liking the uptrend in Tesla's share price while seeing a continual decrease in expected volatility with option IV now in the 93% range. IV has been higher 62% of the time in the last twelve trailing months. Once IV drops below 90% I think purchasing straddles (buying a call and put at the same strike price) is a great trade betting on Tesla's upside while protecting yourself from downside risk.

Great insight, what time horizons do you like for the straddles?

I think a circa 2025 Tesla lineup could look like this:

6nYsH4f.png
Interesting. But does it make sense to show the MX getting more miles per kWh than Roadster? Assuming these are EPA estimates, that seems off.

33 million shares traded at 1 PM? and the stock didn't sink?
So the big investors did not "figure out battery day" over the week end...and yet the stock isn't down...
I guess it is too early to think about Max Pain.

Well who's selling right now? This is just two servers selling the same share backwards and forwards all day...

Looks like @Papafox was absolutely correct today. Moon !Monday

I closed out my Friday to Monday bet fairly early this morning as I saw QQQ descending. I'm happy with a 4.5% return for a weekend wager. The Tesla sentiment is positive enough so that if the NASDAQ was holding steady at up 2% or climbing, TSLA would be climbing too. With QQQ and NASDAQ descending, TSLA was caught in the tractor beam, and I have no desire to gamble on what NASDAQ does for the rest of the day when it was showing a slow descent throughout the morning. That said, the increasingly positive TSLA sentiment will help us as we near the Q3 Production and Delivery report. I am HODLing for that report with my shares and leaps but Friday to Monday bets are gambling, not investing, and so I kept my bet down to 100 shares. Now that QQQ is rising, if it continues to do so TSLA should break out of its 418ish cap and climb too, just as it did on Friday when the NASDAQ showed continued climbing in the afternoon.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see Arks share price projection after they plug in battery day and Elon's est of 66.6% market share of EV sales in ten years to equal 20mm Tesla EVs. So much for waiting for lower IV to jump into some more options.
On two occasions recently I've heard an Ark analyst say they are revising their Tesla forecast. Hope they don't wait until January to release it.

4x Model S Plaid battery packs would hold ~900 KWh, and weigh ~2,500 kg. The average Semi truck weighs about 9000kg unloaded.

At $50/KWh it would cost $45,000 to make.

I'd actually bet the manufacturing cost of that battery + 4-6 drive units is less than the cost to make a giant 13L inline 6 turbodiesel engine + 13 speed transmission....

The ~$150k Semi is easily possible with this battery.

The proposition of the semi has had me scratching my head since its unveiling. Finally, BD has created a scenario that makes it possible IMO. Until BD, I could never see the margins, scale and cell availability to be feasible. My next question is are we sure that the semi requires the high Nickel, high performance, highest price cells?

• Helpful
Reactions: gabeincal
That's my point. It's a packaging optimization. It packages multiple valves in a single assmbly. But there's really no new functionality/capability it introduces.

Contains conjecture:-

Redistributes any heat from any system to where it is needed most. Cools anything that needs cooling. Otherwise you have some sub-systems cooling and some using resistive heating all at the same time. Much more efficient.

Motors warm and approaching supercharger - use heat from motors to warm up cells. With a domestic air-source heat pump, you might get 4 heat from 1 unit of electricity. Maybe similar here 25 C motors take cells up to 50 C with a heatpump. The motors don't need cooling, but do have useful heat for the cells and much better than resistive heating

The proposition of the semi has had me scratching my head since its unveiling. Finally, BD has created a scenario that makes it possible IMO. Until BD, I could never see the margins, scale and cell availability to be feasible. My next question is are we sure that the semi requires the high Nickel, high performance, highest price cells?

Semi needs the cells that provide the range and weight to fit the market. Leading with the lightest, highest energy version ensures maximum addressable market (assuming final cost is not prohibitive, but given the number of miles, that amortizes out easily.).

Great insight, what time horizons do you like for the straddles?

I'm watching the March 19, 2021 options for a possible short term trade. You have Q3, Q4, and poss sp500 inclusion as events that should result in a spike in IV. A few weeks ago when I initiated a straddle with IV I think around 88 there was a spike the following week to above 100 and both calls and puts were up in value even though the puts were further out of the money.

For people who would rather not buy straddles, and prefer to purchase call options the 2023 leaps look great too.

See this slide.

ycylklk.jpg

Cathie specifically used the phrase "$TSLA would cut the price of a Model 3 to $25,000".

That phrasing implies there is an existing product at a higher price.

It's more likely, IMHO, that Cathie doesn't follow Tesla tech as closely as ARK Invest analysts Sam Korus or Tasha Keeney.

Meet the ARK Team | People passionate about innovation and tomorrow's future

Kathie depends on them for financial analysis, not product road map. It's understandable she missing some nuance (wouldn't last at TMC, wot?) :p

Cheers!
Crazy is, I posted that theory on battery day, so maybe she's reading my posts, lol. I do still think it's possible, (and it was already debated some here)... but agree she gaffed. Perhaps it's a logical conclusion at ARK that slipped off the tongue, or they have some inside info. It's the conclusion that I came to as well.

Cheeseburger Question:
Is it cheaper to invest CapX in a new model, or just continually ramp the same model and just lower Mfg costs?

As if the Model 3 isn't good enough for the US markets. Not a big appetite here for smaller cars, but we will still have Model 3 capacity in the US. That's a distribution issue if demand for North America tapers. So the price must drop, IMHO.

I believe Elon left this out bc of its value to the bears as proof NOT to invest in TSLA, the new break-even company. Battery cost reduction makes this possible.

So Elon foresees Tesla taking 20M BEV share out of 30M BEV total market.

66.6% share.
Tesla producing 20M BEVs/year before 2030 might be Elon's most ambitious forecast ever. To reach this, growth the next 3-4 years needs to be close to 100% annually before declining (on a % basis) as 2030 approaches.

I think 2-3 huge announcements on new factories are coming over the next 12-18 months.

My IRA mutual funds finally sold and cash cleared.

Do we think we will get another buy opportunity this week at or below 400 before deliveries are reported late in the week?

My gut tells me this is my last opportunity to get in at the low 400s. After deliveries, there will likely be a share price pop, and then more talk of inclusion which will further the pop . . .
Elon once said, “Don’t doubt yer vibe”.

• Funny
Reactions: wipster and ninpb