Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok tonight‘s regular long drive on mixed roads in poor weather yields some significant changes. The AHB is almost there, I didn’t need to intervene once. It’s faster to react and clearly sees traffic across a dual carriageway now. Nobody flashed me. If there is a problem it that it’s a little too slow to re- engage after dipping, and still jittery in good town lighting. However, they’ve managed to trash the wipers, which are highly reluctant to react to anything after previously being hyper sensitive. Hey, at least it’s now only one step forward and one back, instead of two!

For the first time in my 9 week Tesla career I had to interfere with the wipers yesterday. 2022.40.7

Had a couple of wipes triggered by the sun I think - no rain - and then some no-wipes when the screen had gotten pretty wet. Pressed the stalk button and it seemed to wake the auto-system up. Not exactly critical errors but first time I've experienced it

Last edited:
Reactions: MB11
I found the wipers close to dangerous, totally refusing to come off the lowest intermittent setting despite heavy rain. I couldn’t see at all and needed to intervene several times.
Have you put any hydrophobic coating on your windscreen? I used to have similar issues after my car had been treated when I got it ceramic coated, Since the windscreen was replaced, and I didn't bother again, it's far better.

• Informative
Reactions: Doudeau and DeejUK
There seems to a general consensus that since 40.1, AHB has improved but wipers have got worse.
Ironically, my wipers have been on auto from day one without any real issue. Now they are not
Conversely, AHB has been on once and never again. …until now. I have left it on and it does work OK. It’s a bit tardy coming back on still but has improved and is useable. I’ll wager the same is not true for everyone!

Reactions: Adopado
I did rain-x it a few months ago but it’s mostly worn off now. Although they were clearly better before 40.4.1.
No coating on mine, and in the fairly heavy rain tonight they were... a bit crap. They used to wipe too fast, now they are too slow. I had to constantly press the stalk to get extra wipes. I don't believe they'll ever get them right.

I received my Y this month and it does not have the USS, which means it has no safety features right now! This is crazy that they released cars without telling anyone about it, and do not have a timeline on when I will get safety features.
What safety features are you missing? Those should all still be there and active:
  • Automatic Emergency Braking
  • Forward Collision Warning
  • Side Collision Warning
  • Obstacle Aware Acceleration
  • Blind Spot Monitoring
  • Lane Departure Avoidance
  • Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance
What you would be missing for now are convenience features:
  • Park Assist
  • If you have purchased/subscribed to EAP/FSD:
    • Autopark
    • Summon
    • Smart Summon

What safety features are you missing? Those should all still be there and active:
  • Automatic Emergency Braking
  • Forward Collision Warning
  • Side Collision Warning
  • Obstacle Aware Acceleration
  • Blind Spot Monitoring
  • Lane Departure Avoidance
  • Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance
What you would be missing for now are convenience features:
  • Park Assist
  • If you have purchased/subscribed to EAP/FSD:
    • Autopark
    • Summon
    • Smart Summon
I regard park assist as a safety feature. It’s collision warning for low speeds

I drove cars for over 40 years without park assist, and never once backed into anything. Just thought I'd say.
agree completely, but had the car less than a week and viewing out of rear window is absoluately shocking, the parcel shelf and viewing angle makes seeing rear corners very hard untill im used to perimeter of the car, after a car with full cameras and ultrasonics its made me very lazy.

I drove cars for over 40 years without park assist, and never once backed into anything. Just thought I'd say.
I’ve been driving for thirty five. It’s difficult not to admit that cars have got more difficult to place. They’re bigger, glass area is smaller, pillars are much thicker (all for safety). Rear wipers are out of fashion for aerodynamic reasons. Tumblehome (the curve of the body) is greater for the same reason, making it difficult to see the wheels using the mirrors.
I think the 3 would be very difficult to park without sensors and the Y just about impossible.

I also don't pay a premium to go back in time tech wise. The technology exists to make parking easier, whether that be ultrasonics (basic), 360 view (better) or functional auto parking (best) so the argument that "I managed to drive for 100 years without XYZ" doesn't really hold much water with me, particularly since we're talking about cars that drive themselves. It's a pretty stunning incongruity in that context.

I'm surprised - but also not - how many posts there have been already on the Facebook groups about people confused as to why their new car doesn't chime when parking, because it's such ubiquitous technology now. Even having had that popup come up to ask them whether they wanted to continue - I still don't think it dawned on them what they were losing. I think nowadays you'd probably struggle to find a car sold without parking sensors, to be honest.

Might as well say had no issued parking your horse in your lifetime..

No one cares if you don’t need them. It’s the fact it’s a premium expensive car where features were and are still advertised that aren’t supported because they wanted to save some money till software parity was available. No excuse.

Do you know what other manufacturers do? They give you discount if they don’t deliver advertised features, not tell you to lump it back to the end of the queue.

Might as well say had no issued parking your horse in your lifetime..

No one cares if you don’t need them. It’s the fact it’s a premium expensive car where features were and are still advertised that aren’t supported because they wanted to save some money till software parity was available. No excuse.

Do you know what other manufacturers do? They give you discount if they don’t deliver advertised features, not tell you to lump it back to the end of the queue.
But, but, but..... disruption!