Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLAA - Android Auto for Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most phones can only set up a hotspot using the mobile connection. You can't (usually) connect the phone to Wi-Fi and then enable the hotspot and expect it to share that wi-fi connection to other devices - if that is what you are asking.
You are right "most" cannot but all Samsung Galaxy S models since the S7 can. However for some dumb reason you cannot enable the hotspot if the phone has no SIM even though if you are on WIFI it will share the WIFI connection not the mobile one.
Also that post is 6 months old so guessing he figured out something by now anyway.

You are right "most" cannot but all Samsung Galaxy S models since the S7 can. However for some dumb reason you cannot enable the hotspot if the phone has no SIM even though if you are on WIFI it will share the WIFI connection not the mobile one.
Interesting, thanks - Galaxy S user here and never knew that.

Also that post is 6 months old so guessing he figured out something by now anyway.
Sorry, I missed that it was old.

Interesting, thanks - Galaxy S user here and never knew that.
It is very useful in certain very specific circs that most people don't need.
I have used it for various things including
Sharing a paid wifi connection between multiple devices like in a hotel room / on a ship
As a temporary wifi extender to a Tesla that needs an update but is parked out on the street out of wifi Range
So that only one person of a group in a pub has to go through the barely fathomable login procedure to the wifi

stuff like that.
There are a few other phones that have the feature but its surprisingly rare outside of the Galaxy S line.

Reactions: Roy B and goRt
Sharing a paid wifi connection between multiple devices like in a hotel room / on a ship
As a temporary wifi extender to a Tesla that needs an update but is parked out on the street out of wifi Range
So that only one person of a group in a pub has to go through the barely fathomable login procedure to the wifi

stuff like that.
There are a few other phones that have the feature but its surprisingly rare outside of the Galaxy S line.
My Pixel 7 Pro has it and my previous Pixel did also.

Reactions: bhorn

stuff like that.
Sharing paid wi-fi on a transatlatic flight is a use case that I can see value in for me. If it's limited to one device (which it often is) I'm often torn as to whether to pay for access from my phone or my laptop (I'm generally not willing to pay twice).

EDIT: Although if it insists on a SIM (presumably a throwback to a version of Android that can't share wi-fi) I wonder if it similarly fails if the mobile connection is in flight mode. Experimentation needed, methinks...

Sharing paid wi-fi on a transatlatic flight is a use case that I can see value in for me. If it's limited to one device (which it often is) I'm often torn as to whether to pay for access from my phone or my laptop (I'm generally not willing to pay twice).

EDIT: Although if it insists on a SIM (presumably a throwback to a version of Android that can't share wi-fi) I wonder if it similarly fails if the mobile connection is in flight mode. Experimentation needed, methinks...
You are rught it does not work in flight mode even with wifi on. Though it does work with mobile data off. But you dont actually have to be in flight mode on a flight so i don't see it as a big issue. Just dont name your hotspot "terror network" like one person did as a joke that badly backfired if i recall from the news story.

Reactions: Neilio
I feel like this should be easy but I can't seem to figure it out. Is there a way to turn off the Tidal display in Teslaa and only see the map?

I've tried everything I can think of - going through options, resizing the screen, trying to drag it off, etc. No joy.

TY.
20230222_135131.jpg

I feel like this should be easy but I can't seem to figure it out. Is there a way to turn off the Tidal display in Teslaa and only see the map?

I've tried everything I can think of - going through options, resizing the screen, trying to drag it off, etc. No joy.

TY.View attachment 910110

That's an Android Auto "thing", not TeslAA - have a google for "coolwalk" to get more information. One thing in TeslAA - make sure you have it set for 1080p display and that should give you 3 x tiles instead of 2 which is a better layout for the maps in my view.

Reactions: KArnold
D

TY.View attachment 910110
If you use Google Maps then you can get full screen, but it doesnt work on Waze

Reactions: KArnold
I never realised my S22 can do that. Thank you, thats very useful

I prefer Waze as well. It's a much, much better map over what Tesla has., except for sC details. Not to mention the crowd-sourcing. I'll verify the next supercharger stop and just put that address into Waze. But like you usually just for longer trips.

And TeslAA is by far the best way to use Android Auto with a fully functional Waze on the MCU monitor in a Tesla. I generally run the browser in 3/4 screen mode.

There's also Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information but it's map only - you really need Waze running on your phone at the same time to get the audio/alerts portion.

Reactions: jabloomf1230