Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm setting up a preconditioning schedule on Teslafi and want to make sure I'm going about it in the right way. here are the 3 schedules I've set...

Setting are for Mon-Fri.
1. Wake Car up 5:55am
2. Set HVAC to 65 deg. Fahrenheit at 6:00am
3. Turn on HVAC at 6:05am

Leave house between. 6:30 and 6:40am. I know this only allows for about 30 min. of preconditioning and Tesla states it can take up to an hour, however i want to limit battery loss and will start with 30 min. and adjust if needed. Would like to know if I'm missing anything.

I know this only allows for about 30 min. of preconditioning and Tesla states it can take up to an hour, however i want to limit battery loss and will start with 30 min. and adjust if needed. Would like to know if I'm missing anything.

For current night temperatures (-3C/26F) during night, a Model S would heat up in 10-15 minutes (using up to 6 kW).
For -10C/14F 30 Minutes should be ok. 40-60 Minutes (start 2nd time after 35 Minutes) if it's colder.

For current night temperatures (-3C/26F) during night, a Model S would heat up in 10-15 minutes (using up to 6 kW).
For -10C/14F 30 Minutes should be ok. 40-60 Minutes (start 2nd time after 35 Minutes) if it's colder.
That's entirely too long, and a huge waste of electricity.

It actually takes very little time to heat if the car actually sets the heater core to full power. Unfortunately up until a recent release, achieving full power (not set temp) would take 10-15 minutes. Purely a software bug. Now, I see that it achieves ~80% power in less than 3 minutes. Warm up time from 14F to 65F is 5 minutes. Still too slow in my opinion, but 60 minutes preheating is insanity. If Tesla fixed this, full power should be <5 seconds, and warm cabin in 1-2 minutes.

I'm setting up a preconditioning schedule on Teslafi and want to make sure I'm going about it in the right way. here are the 3 schedules I've set...

Setting are for Mon-Fri.
1. Wake Car up 5:55am
2. Set HVAC to 65 deg. Fahrenheit at 6:00am
3. Turn on HVAC at 6:05am

Leave house between. 6:30 and 6:40am. I know this only allows for about 30 min. of preconditioning and Tesla states it can take up to an hour, however i want to limit battery loss and will start with 30 min. and adjust if needed. Would like to know if I'm missing anything.
Aside from the duration of preconditioning, TeslaFi schedule you proposed seems to be fine. I usually use 1 minute between those operations though and they work great.

That's entirely too long, and a huge waste of electricity.

It actually takes very little time to heat if the car actually sets the heater core to full power. Unfortunately up until a recent release, achieving full power (not set temp) would take 10-15 minutes. Purely a software bug. Now, I see that it achieves ~80% power in less than 3 minutes. Warm up time from 14F to 65F is 5 minutes. Still too slow in my opinion, but 60 minutes preheating is insanity. If Tesla fixed this, full power should be <5 seconds, and warm cabin in 1-2 minutes.
I think "preconditioning" in the sense that it takes 40 to 60 minutes means running the battery heater to get it to a reasonable temperature.

Reactions: pjw65
I think "preconditioning" in the sense that it takes 40 to 60 minutes means running the battery heater to get it to a reasonable temperature.

heating the battery is what i am referring to when i say "preconditioning". Apologies if I was unclear in my OP. I do not care about the cabin temp as much. But as far as I know, the only way to precondition the battery is to activate the cabin air. I'm trying to limit higher range loss and limited regenerative braking during colder temps.

That

That would require my wife to actually plug the car in everyday
Good to know that’s a “feature” in other households too. (TBF, mine also doesn’t remember to charge her phone at night and isn’t shocked when it’s dead by 9AM the next morning.)

Don’t get me wrong, mine’s a 11/10 in my mind and I would DEF marry again, but remembering to charge things and turn of lights ain’t gonna happen without a firmware upgrade.

Good to know that’s a “feature” in other households too. (TBF, mine also doesn’t remember to charge her phone at night and isn’t shocked when it’s dead by 9AM the next morning.)

Don’t get me wrong, mine’s a 11/10 in my mind and I would DEF marry again, but remembering to charge things and turn of lights ain’t gonna happen without a firmware upgrade.

I don't believe those updates come OTA

Plenty of upgrades currently available, unfortunately firmware is not one of them.

• Funny
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Quick feedback/question.

In the Battery Report I noticed it recorded a recent charging session to 100%. I was in my car with my OBD scanner connected. I saw the car charged to 100% and finished at true 100%. The entry in the battery report shows 99% for some reason and then it uses that as a basis to calculate what 100% would be which is then 1% higher. For some reasons this seems to happen here and there. Any ideas why and how to fix it?

Reactions: hiroshiy
@David99 I'd seen the same thing on my Model 3 until the most recent update I received 2 days ago. In two charging sessions on 2018.44.2 3b2a5c3, I'm seeing a 90% charge actually stop at 90% logged by TeslaFi. Before that update, 16 of 23 charging sessions beginning on 10/27 had stopped an indicated 1% short of what the car was set to reach.

Hey,
Just signed up for Teslafi trial and when configuring I noticed in the settings that it says...

...one gallon of gasoline to contain 33.7 kWh, one imperial gallon of gasoline to contain 28.0611 kWh...

As one Imperial gallon is the same as 1.2 US Gallons, shouldn't there be 40.44 kWh in an Imperial gallon?

I seem to get unusually low efficiency on my M3 even using autopilot for example this long trip from ATL to Macon and back... is this 70% efficiency on long auto-pilot trips normal or is there something wrong with my car? I was expecting at least 85% or better I guess since it wasn't a stop and go trip, just get on the highway and go.

macon1.png
macon2.png

I seem to get unusually low efficiency on my M3 even using autopilot for example this long trip from ATL to Macon and back... is this 70% efficiency on long auto-pilot trips normal or is there something wrong with my car? I was expecting at least 85% or better I guess since it wasn't a stop and go trip, just get on the highway and go.

View attachment 357659 View attachment 357660

Looks like a combo of heating and driving fast, you've got long stretches at 80 mph, depending on configuration of your 3 you need to be doing 65-70 mph to hit rated range.

Reactions: groovyd