Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor TeslaSpy.com - Know your tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, your car is always connected to 3G (if available), you can awake your car with the app or other service online. With "always connected", is your car's computer that will be always online, no matter if TeslaSpy or other service or app is polling or not. I see in the graph that your car is always online, and never in "put to sleep": this means that you don't have "sleep mode" enabled. If you want let your car sleep, you have to check "enhanced sleep mode" on the settings page, you'll have to see that before your car is asleep there's a "put to sleep", this is, TeslaSpy let's your car asleep. See my configuration and my car state attached. Please send me a private message with your username if you want me to enable sleep mode for you.
Is this accurate? My car didn't sleep for 24 hours?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180505-080716_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180505-080716_Chrome.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 137
Hi, the problem of the frozen screen it's strange, no other users reported similar related to teslaspy. The screen sometimes has to be reseted, but honestly I don't think that it's related to teslaspy, because teslaspy only does a call to the api of your car every minute, and it's resolved quickly, it's not a big charge of work for the cpu. It's the same api call that uses the tesla app or other services, and the car is prepared to receive and answer this kind of api calls. Please observe some days to see if it repeats.

It's not that sleep mode is turning on and off. When the state is in "put to sleep", means that TeslaSpy is not polling data from your car, to let you car sleep (it's only checking if your car is asleep or not, this command from the api doesn't wake up your car if it's asleep). You have to uncheck "always connected" option on your car if you want to use sleep mode and let your car asleep, I'm sure that now it's checked because your car is always online. If you want to leave "always connected" in your car, it's better to uncheck sleep mode on teslaspy, because your car will not sleep anyway, and teslaspy will not lose data (if you start a drive or charge while the car is in "put to sleep", this data will be lost, because teslaspy in this moment it's not polling data from your car)

As I mention earlier, I believe the issue is only present in Model S with MCU2. There is no Energy Management / Always connected in the setting of MCU2 (Similar as Model 3)

As I mention earlier, I believe the issue is only present in Model S with MCU2. There is no Energy Management / Always connected in the setting of MCU2 (Similar as Model 3)

Sorry, I didn't know that in MCU2 there is no "always connected" option. I've read here in other TMC posts that cars with new MCU2 are always online, and never sleep. So in this case, you have to uncheck the sleep option on TeslaSpy, because your car will not sleep anyway

I see a that on a average day my vampire battery drain is about 1.5 kWh,is this normal?

The vampire drain in kWh are calculated taking the range loss as a reference: if your car has lost 5 miles in range, TeslaSpy will calculate the equivalence of this 5 miles in terms of kWh. This value will be more accurate if TeslaSpy has data from one or more charges of your car at 100%. Reading other posts here in TMC about vampire drain, some users are reporting a loss of 1-3% daily. If you can, uncheck the "always connected" option on your car, and enable the sleep option on TeslaSpy. The vampire drain for my car (S75D) is about 0.3-0.9 kWh per day with this configuration.

This has been a very interesting thread thus far. It's clear that tools such as TeslaFi, Tezlab (both of which I use) and TeslaSpy (which I hope to be using) attract that subpopulation of Tesla owners who are enthused by the novel technology of Tesla vehicles, and are eager to better understand how the car works and how their driving and charging behaviors affect the economy and efficiency of ownership. It's also clear from this thread that there is a complex tangle of technologies at play here. I think you could attract many more participants if you wrote up a very clear guide summarizing the sorts of technical points you begin make here, and the assumptions underlying all your calculations (and, of course, the privacy/security implications of how you interact with the user and his/her Telsa account). The deficiency I find in the systems I use at present is the lack of clear explanations for how the results are produced (and hence what they actually mean). I admire the enthusiasm and responsiveness you have demonstrated here -- good luck with this project.

Reactions: frank-datank
I've been using Teslaspy for a few weeks and I love it so far! Question for you...I'm looking at my charging history, and it does not seem to use the address tags that I have created. In addition, I see multiple charges for a single location, with the address of by just a few numbers. Is there any way to tie in the charging locations to my existing tags?

I've been using Teslaspy for a few weeks and I love it so far! Question for you...I'm looking at my charging history, and it does not seem to use the address tags that I have created. In addition, I see multiple charges for a single location, with the address of by just a few numbers. Is there any way to tie in the charging locations to my existing tags?

Hi, if you are using address tags, teslaspy should "snap" all the addresses inside the radius to the tagged address. Please could you send me by private message your username so I can review?

thanks!

jordi

Hi there,

Have you had the opportunity to adapt TeslaSpy to MCU2 cars and the different behaviour they seem to have regarding the lack of "energy saving" and "always connected" options?

My MX is being delivered in less than 2 weeks and I'm kind of scared of phantom draining and the impact a data tracking app like TeslaSpy or Teslafi may have on energy consumption (I usually leave my car at the airport for short periods of time).

I haven't found any reliable info regarding phantom drain on MCU2 cars. It's kind of weird that they don't seem to sleep like the previous MCU does.

My new model x (june delivery) does not have Energy Saving settings.
As I understand, it's currently unclear what algorithm tesla is using to manage energy saving.

So, I'm wondering how TeslaSpy affects this new energy saving logic.
In other words, how big is an impact on the battery drain when the car is not in use?

Hi,

I 've asked TeslaSpy users with MCU2, and the battery drain with MCU2 cars it's the same that users with MCU1 with always connected. The big difference is that MCU2 users can't let their cars asleep, so the "Enhanced sleep mode" on TeslaSpy has no sense.

Said that, if you check the enhanced sleep mode, TeslaSpy will pause the polling during 15 minutes, and then it will connect again once to see if there's activity (drive or charge). So, if there's not a drive or charge, with sleep mode enabled, TeslaSpy will connect to your car only 4 times every hour (4/60).

Hi,

I 've asked TeslaSpy users with MCU2, and the battery drain with MCU2 cars it's the same that users with MCU1 with always connected. The big difference is that MCU2 users can't let their cars asleep, so the "Enhanced sleep mode" on TeslaSpy has no sense.

Said that, if you check the enhanced sleep mode, TeslaSpy will pause the polling during 15 minutes, and then it will connect again once to see if there's activity (drive or charge). So, if there's not a drive or charge, with sleep mode enabled, TeslaSpy will connect to your car only 4 times every hour (4/60).

Thanks for clarification!

Does it mean that with Enhanced Sleep Mode enabled if I start driving just after the polling happens (initiating the 15 min waiting period), then about 14 minutes of my trip will be missing?

For example: let's say TeslaSpy connected to the car at 12:00 and determined that there was no activity. It means that the next polling will happen in 15 minutes at 12:15.
After that the car started a drive at 12:01. However, as the next polling is scheduled for 12:15, the driving period from 12:01 to 12:15 will be missing.

Is that correct?

Thank you.

Thanks for clarification!

Does it mean that with Enhanced Sleep Mode enabled if I start driving just after the polling happens (initiating the 15 min waiting period), then about 14 minutes of my trip will be missing?

For example: let's say TeslaSpy connected to the car at 12:00 and determined that there was no activity. It means that the next polling will happen in 15 minutes at 12:15.
After that the car started a drive at 12:01. However, as the next polling is scheduled for 12:15, the driving period from 12:01 to 12:15 will be missing.

Is that correct?

Thank you.

Yes, it's correct. But with enhanced sleep mode enabled, you can setup a time window to "force" teslaspy to fetch data from your car, for example from 8AM to 6PM, and then no data will be lost in all drives and charges inside this time range