Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Teslogic — Mobile Instrument Cluster for Tesla Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe you should buy a different older device that is easily rootable. Pixel 4 or Note 8 or some such?
A recent e-mail I got from Teslogic makes me a bit gun shy about buying something else. I was told that they are not going to support older phones, and that they require the phone to get 600 packets/sec to work. The Android 6 phone is typically around 140 packets/sec, but can be as low as 80. The thing that gives me pause though is that my Pixel 6 pro, on Android 13, only gets 430 packets/sec.

Android tablets can be bought new on Amazon for as low as $30, but I won't buy anything unless Teslogic comes out and says "This tablet will work with our app".

I don't really understand the 600 packets/sec requirement. If all the data is available in every packet, they could easily get away with only 30 packets/sec. I suspect they may be putting every packet they see on the bus into a separate bluetooth packet. This seems to me to be extremely wasteful. They could be recording the last value of every data entry, then blasting them all in one packet at 60 times/second, eliminating a huge amount of overhead, and allowing them to run on ancient phones. (Android 6 is not particularly old).

I do hope they have a method of updating the firmware on their transmitter, otherwise we are stuck with what they currently are doing.

For anyone looking for a really clean mount for their phone that also wireless-charges, I use this one: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803768480317.html it has 100% hidden cabling so no janky adapters or cables visible. It's a wireless charger so works with any phone that supports it. Only improvement I'd like is if it was magsafe but you can't have everything :)
I got this one from Amazon for about $25 more than a year ago. Truly one handed as it is MagSafe compatible, so no bracket or gripper needed. Excuse the photo darkness.

A4838208-B231-42D4-A211-6CAE63A8817D.jpeg
CB4A8539-4C81-47B7-9A23-255B8FA74563.jpeg
974A9649-9FA2-424D-9B3C-9C012A72B172.jpeg

is there anyway to control how long the app keeps the screen on? Since I use a dedicated phone as my cluster, that means, if I forget to lock the screen when I exit the car, it will stay on forever until i come back to the car to shut off the phone. Would like to set a limit to this 1hr, 2hrs, 5hrs etc?

is there anyway to control how long the app keeps the screen on? Since I use a dedicated phone as my cluster, that means, if I forget to lock the screen when I exit the car, it will stay on forever until i come back to the car to shut off the phone. Would like to set a limit to this 1hr, 2hrs, 5hrs etc?
I'd be happy if there was a setting to allow the phone to sleep when it was not being charged.

I would have to be parked for a certain amount of time (ie. 15 minutes) as people may want to review the energy screen or test things in their car while parked.
If they are reviewing the energy screen, then the normal sleep behavior of the phone would keep it awake until they stopped messing with the phone. The suggestion is to enable sleep, not force sleep when the car is in park. It will use the phones normal sleep timeout to cause the phone to sleep.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Looks like using my old phone as a display is a bad idea, but not because of the slow packet rate. It was 87 degrees here yesterday, and the phone refused to run any apps at all because it was too hot.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap android 13 tablet that will not shut down in hot weather?

Looks like using my old phone as a display is a bad idea, but not because of the slow packet rate. It was 87 degrees here yesterday, and the phone refused to run any apps at all because it was too hot.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap android 13 tablet that will not shut down in hot weather?
all tablets and phones will shut down when left in the car during the hot summer months.

• Helpful
Perhaps the case being used? No venting?
Is it constantly on the charger so stays at 100%? These devices are great and we use them on our phones keeping the charge well below 100%: https://chargie.org/

I have given up on the old phone as a display. Aside from the phone becoming unusable when sitting in a hot car, the app no longer allows it to connect. It will show that it found a transmitter, then fail to connect.
I went back to my Pixel 6 pro, and it seems to be stuck in dark mode, even with the setting of "auto". I have also had an error message pop up claiming that its bluetooth is too slow.

Reactions: jebinc
I have given up on the old phone as a display. Aside from the phone becoming unusable when sitting in a hot car, the app no longer allows it to connect. It will show that it found a transmitter, then fail to connect.
I went back to my Pixel 6 pro, and it seems to be stuck in dark mode, even with the setting of "auto". I have also had an error message pop up claiming that its bluetooth is too slow.
Yeah, I get that one on my regular Pixel 6 and sometimes "can't get messages from CAN1, check wiring" or some such. It happens in both cars, so I doubt the wiring is wrong. They go away and don't seem to affect the operation of the phone, so I haven't worried about it. My guess is that they are a little sensitive to missing messages and pop these up as soon as anything they miss anything.

• Helpful