Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Automobile 2.0: Chevrolet Bolt EV vs Nissan LEAF vs Tesla Model 3 Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems to me a comparison between a city car with a no-range anxiety battery, a city car with a range anxiety battery, and an all-around car useful for both local and long-distance travel and doesn't look like a spud.
Robin
apples-oranges.jpg

This is a weird comparison, but I get it because they’re the longest range EVs available.

The biggest difference is fast charging speeds. The Bolt and the LEAF can add about 90 miles of range in 30 minutes at a fast charging station, while the Model 3 adds 180 miles of range in 30 minutes. Anyone who travels long distances with any sort of regularlity knows how important this is.

I definitely agree with this statement:
“Comparing this Model 3 to the Bolt and Leaf isn’t fair—like comparing a BMW 3 Series with a Camry or Accord.”

Glad to see that the Model 3 came out on top, and the data they presented was very interesting. I'd like to see some noise measurements comparing the Model 3 to the ICE cars that it is supposedly competing against (BMW 3, Mercedes C-Class, etc).

Seems to me a comparison between a city car with a no-range anxiety battery, a city car with a range anxiety battery, and an all-around car useful for both local and long-distance travel and doesn't look like a spud.
RobinView attachment 264575

Why can't fruit be compared?

Blah, blah blah

How about a 400 mile trip at 75 mph ?

This has relevance to a tiny amount of people for more than once or twice a year, if even that much. The comparison as written is appropriate for most people.

Why can't fruit be compared?

This has relevance to a tiny amount of people for more than once or twice a year, if even that much. The comparison as written is appropriate for most people.

Sure. You can compare fruits. Weighing apples and oranges, I'm coming down on the side of a peach.
As for long-distance travel being a once or twice a year issue for most people, that's perfectly true. However, a lot of people have sold themselves on "needing" all wheel drive and hulking SUV's for rarer missions than that. Hasn't hurt their sales a whit.
I'd choose the longest-range vehicle that didn't look silly. The Bolt looks silly. The old Leaf looked silly. The new one is nearly (but not quite) not silly. The Model 3 is beautiful (with faults that irk me, but still). Case closed.
But a review that short would seem pretty unprofessional at Motor Trend, I guess.
Robin

Sure. You can compare fruits. Weighing apples and oranges, I'm coming down on the side of a peach.
As for long-distance travel being a once or twice a year issue for most people, that's perfectly true. However, a lot of people have sold themselves on "needing" all wheel drive and hulking SUV's for rarer missions than that. Hasn't hurt their sales a whit.
I'd choose the longest-range vehicle that didn't look silly. The Bolt looks silly. The old Leaf looked silly. The new one is nearly (but not quite) not silly. The Model 3 is beautiful (with faults that irk me, but still). Case closed.
But a review that short would seem pretty unprofessional at Motor Trend, I guess.
Robin

The leaf and bolt are dead to me no matter what they look like because they're front wheel drive. The fact that they are weirdo derp pods is just another reason neither of them will have any place in my life. You're absolutely right about AWD and SUVs as well.

Cliff notes: People use lies they tell themselves to justify purchases. Life goes on.

Reactions: Runt8 and N5329K
The comparisons of regen/deceleration rates, cabin noise, ride harshness, and AP2-vs-ProPilot are all quite enlightening.

I would've hoped the Model 3 would do better on cabin noise -- although it's not entirely unexpected given the M3's firmer suspension. 18's might help some too.

upload_2017-12-4_15-13-42.png

Likewise with deceleration rates -- but it's probably unavoidable with RWD vs FWD.

upload_2017-12-4_15-12-59.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-4_15-11-45.png
    upload_2017-12-4_15-11-45.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 36
The comparisons of regen/deceleration rates, cabin noise, ride harshness, and AP2-vs-ProPilot are all quite enlightening.

I would've hoped the Model 3 would do better on cabin noise -- although it's not entirely unexpected given the M3's firmer suspension. 18's might help some too.

View attachment 264603

Likewise with deceleration rates -- but it's probably unavoidable with RWD vs FWD.

View attachment 264602
That's what I was thinking as well. Would love to know what the cabin noise is on my 12 year old ICE - guessing it would make the fairly minor differences between the 3 EV's seem like nothing.

I'm sure the 18s with the MXM green tires would improve the NVH metrics while making the acceleration (at least for 0-30), stopping, and skidpad numbers all closer.

From a grip and stability perspective, Tesla could have made the regen stronger - that's only about 30% of what the rear axle can contribute to braking. I'm surprised Tesla still hasn't released an option for stronger regen across the fleet. Low, standard, and high. I'm wondering if there's some reason it's difficult on the induction motors on the S+X so that feature has to wait for their refreshes.

interesting article and it's really fascinating (and dare I say somewhat refreshing) to see MT not falling all over themselves in regard to the 3.

And I like the comment about comparing these cars is like comparing a luxury car to the Accord or Camry since this is my exact situation! It's Honda versus Model 3 for us.

Last edited:
This has relevance to a tiny amount of people for more than once or twice a year, if even that much.
You are not thinking this through. A 400 mile trip is 200 miles there and back. People who buy a Bolt or LEAF are taking a Tesla or ICE car for these trips. How about a trip 100 miles each way ? Can a Bolt do it at 75 mph with A/C ? How about in the winter ?

Last edited:
You are not thinking this through. A 400 mile trip is 200 miles there and back. People who buy a Bolt or LEAF are taking a Tesla or ICE car for these trips. How about a trip 100 miles each way ? Can a Bolt do it at 75 mph with A/C ? How about in the winter ?

A Bolt might be able to do it at 75 MPH, but not with a head wind and certainly not in the winter or in bad weather. The Model 3 SR will be similar, but it will at least have the Supercharger network available to it, compared to the Bolt's current "network" of slow and unreliable CCS stations.

Exactly. Might

Which is why I say the article missed an opportunity to actually provide useful information.
You know ... an actual ROAD test.

Hopefully when the short range Model 3 comes out, they'll do just that. Plan a 500 mile route with all three vehicles and let the on-board route planners figure out the best routes using the available fast charging infrastructure. That will paint a very clear picture of the big differences between the vehicles (especially since the Bolt doesn't have navigation). :eek: