Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Theft Of Components Off My Model S @ Cleveland Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get the feeling that this is all 100% BS... Some of you seem to trust what you read online wayyyyy to easily... Just because corporate supposedly replied doesn't mean anything at all. Wouldn't you want to reach out to a customer who makes such wild and crazy accusations in order to determine fact from fiction? Don't assume that because Tesla is asking that the story must be true...

Jeff

I'm not. I'm assuming that if the person reporting the issue were just seeking to make Tesla look bad with a fake story, it's unlikely they'd report that Tesla reached out to them here. The net outcome, at this point, leaves Tesla looking imperfect, in that their employees aren't mindless drones, but ultimately a company that cares about their customers and will reach out to do the right thing.

The motives don't fit.

I'm not. I'm assuming that if the person reporting the issue were just seeking to make Tesla look bad with a fake story, it's unlikely they'd report that Tesla reached out to them here. The net outcome, at this point, leaves Tesla looking imperfect, in that their employees aren't mindless drones, but ultimately a company that cares about their customers and will reach out to do the right thing.

The motives don't fit.
Most criminals aren't smart.

I'm withholding my judgement until the OP comes back and posts a plausible update, or at least shows the before photos.

Reactions: Akikiki
really? could you elaborate on where this could be deemed illegal

I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice.

There are many states where both parties must consent to recording , such as California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington.

However, I suspect that even if you are in a one-party consent state, that by hiding the recording device, you are probably violating the law by recording conversations you are not a party to because you could not naturally overhear the conversation. Your state probably has a law regarding surreptitiously placing a recording device to secretly record conversations between people who have not consented.

Reactions: ev-now
it's unlikely they'd report that Tesla reached out to them here.

...or include their full VIN and address...

And frankly, this story is much more indicative of a single bad actor as opposed to company policy so it doesn't smell like FUD-spreading to me. Nevertheless, it doesn't cost us anything as forum readers anything to suppose it is true or not. I'll be anxious to hear Tesla's response, and more interestingly, where the car actually went!

Illicitly recording someone without their permission on private property, in the workplace particularly, is illegal and you would be wise not to do it. Consider if someone planted a bug in your desk at work and recorded private conversation to be used against you. Law enforcement requires a warrant from a Judge to do that.
LA is a single party for public (i.e. workplace) audio recording... only one of the parties need be aware.

Easily could be someone stole the car from the shop, drove it around, stole the seats, and returned it hoping no one would notice. Security at car shops has never been great. Walk in with the name of someone whose car is being repaired and you might get yourself a Tesla. I've only been to my SvC once, so I can't say much about their security. But there are other explanations other than Tesla employees being criminals.

A dashcam would have been useful in this situation but since the service center disconnect them, you would need a tamper proof enclosure like this: BlackVue DR650/DR550 Tamperproof Case for Front Camera

I am not sure why Tesla Service disconnects dashcams, they can merely mute audio by waving their hands in front of the blackvue (common amongst Tesla owners). None of the other dealerships (Acura/Cadillac) disconnect my dashcam and some have even had their dashcam connectors damaged in the process.

Well, while reading this issue, may be it would be a good idea to invest in a hidden GPS Tracking System:

Covert GPS Tracking Systems Service

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
I am going to go with the theory that someone thought it was a trade in. They then took it home and changed their seats for the newer ones. Since they thought it was being traded in they had no concern to cover their tracks and keep it nice. Who knows how many other things they could have taken over time.

I'm going with the theory that the rear seat picture does not look right, and if this happened to me I'd have reported to the police first, Tesla second and that no Tesla salesperson would suggest posting here ahead of posting through the escalation channel on MyTesla - afterall you'd be dealing with the SC manager not the salesperson anyway. Something just does not add up for me.

Reactions: jeffro01
I'm going with the theory that the rear seat picture does not look right, and if this happened to me I'd have reported to the police first, Tesla second and that no Tesla salesperson would suggest posting here ahead of posting through the escalation channel on MyTesla - afterall you'd be dealing with the SC manager not the salesperson anyway. Something just does not add up for me.
If it is a faked story they did go to a lot of effort including putting in correct names for people at that SC.

What doesn't look right about the rear seat picture?