Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is not the right time for me to buy a new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope Sir, you are wrong.

People buy new ICE cars and keep them for years.
Why?
Because range is always same,unlimited, interior and tech is changing every 4 years and companies will LET YOU KNOW when that happens.

With Tesla, you have limited range, and if its not enough for your needs don`t buy it.

But if there is rumor range will increase soon, confirmed by third party,(Panasonic,already in M3),plus other goodies someone would like to have (console,heated steering wheel,mirrors,second screen...) then why dont wait couple of months?

Additional 50 -70 miles of range will actually make our trips to visit our Grandma without supercharging stops.

Your PC you bought today will last you next 5 years,for internet and videos, if you play video games you can always replace your video card.

What you are going to replace with your Tesla to get more range?

Yes, you are right. All of those changes are coming soon and you, along with all of the people who are still waiting for the big battery day announcement, will be storming the service centers to buy their cars.

On delivery, the car had a 3inch+ deep scratch on one of the passenger doors. The scratch is too much for touchup paint so the whole door will need to be repainted which will take a couple of days. The door is also badly aligned with the front door and rear quarter panel. There was another scratch on one of the other doors which can be fixed with touchup paint I was told. There were other alignment issues with panels, rear lights, frunk, etc., that were "whatevers" in my book. I agreed to take delivery bc I had waited 7 weeks for the car and they told me they'd fix everything. I took delivery on 11/5/20 and they scheduled an appt for 12/1/20 to fix the issues.

Six days after taking delivery, it was raining an my car alarm was triggered. I looked at my app and it said the passenger door behind the driver was opened. I went out to see what going on to find the door closed but the window down slightly. I opened and closed the door twice before the window went up. Seems strange but I thought that was it. After walking back into my house, the car locked itself. A few seconds later the alarm was going off again and the app said the door was opened again. I went out and repeated what I did before. But this time, the window wouldn't go up and the car wouldn't sense the door was closed. I called road side assistance to see what they could do. They had me reboot the car several times. Nothing. Then they had me recalibrate the windows several times. Nothing. In the meantime, my car started opening and closing the back window frequently and the screen had the door being "open" and then "closed" each time. To be clear, the door was never opened. As it was my 6th day of ownership, they scheduled a service appt the next day.

When I dropped the car off the next day, I explained the entire problem to the person in service. I also told them about the 45 min conversation I had the night before. When I dropped off the car, the problem wasn't happening. At that point, the only issue present was the car saying the window on the same door was opened when it wasn't. I explained to the service department that I thought it had to do with the rain. The night before I dropped it off I placed it in my garage. For the first couple of hours the main issue existed but the next morning after the car had time to dry out, the car recognized the door as closed.

After having the car for 4 days, I got a message through the app saying the car was ready for pickup and they couldn't find a problem. I tried to get in touch with someone via email and phone to ask what was going on but got nowhere. Eventually, I went to the service center to try to talk to someone in person. When I did, I learned that they never looked at the issue. They just thought my error was a problem people had with the app saying the rear door was opened. I guess there was miscommunication between people. After another day, of looking at it they still couldn't fine a problem. By this time, I discovered this website and found someone else who had the exact same problem and how it was related to an improperly installed wiring harness in the door which was getting wet and causing the issue. I sent the service dept the post and the head technician (the 3rd tech to look at my car) realized my harness was also installed improperly at the factory.

Another thing I noticed during the whole ordeal was that water seems to be collecting somewhere inside the door. After a couple of days fo dry weather, water streaks (a lot) appear on the windows when you roll them down and back up. I mentioned it at the time and thought it could be part of the issue. I don't think anything was done bc it rained last week and there was a lot of water on 3 of the windows when I rolled them down and back up. It can't be good for the car to have water trapped inside the doors. I'd say it was a design issue b ut my friend with a Y doesn't have the same problem. I've taken video and pictures of the issue and will let service know about it when I bring it in for the original body issues next week.

All Tesla’s have the wet window streaks days after it rains issue. I think it’s a design issue and it’s the same reason they are prone to freezing. They have too much felt contacting the glass. It takes a long time to dry out.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA and Hrtme
All Tesla’s have the wet window streaks days after it rains issue. I think it’s a design issue and it’s the same reason they are prone to freezing. They have too much felt contacting the glass. It takes a long time to dry out.
Hope the inside of the doors are protected from the corrosive effects of water then. I guess my friend’s model Y is defective since he doesn’t have the issue.

I can certainly confirm it's well under 200 miles highway driving at 40 degrees.
I can't imagine how awful it would be when it's 10 or below..
Interesting point showing that, beside building new mega superchargers stations to avoid waiting line,
like the new Firebaugh, CA Supercharger with 56 stalls, there is still a strong need for having some
superchargers close enough to each other to help with shorter range in the case of bad weather condition,
and to provide also a safe haven for those driving occasionally a car with lower range,
like a more economical car principally used as a secondary car for short daily city or commute driving.

Incidentally, bad weather conditions would certainly affect in the same way the range of Hydrogen cars,
but providing a high density of Hydrogen refueling stations would be economically not feasible.

After a couple of days fo dry weather, water streaks (a lot) appear on the windows when you roll them down and back up.

I live in a place where it rains frequently and my car is always parked outside and I do not get wet window streaks after a couple days of dry weather.

Water collecting in doors.
If these photos were taken more than 2 days after it rained, that does not seem right.

Reactions: Hrtme
I live in a place where it rains frequently and my car is always parked outside and I do not get wet window streaks after a couple days of dry weather.

If these photos were taken more than 2 days after it rained, that does not seem right.
They are and it isn’t right. Makes zero sense why water should collect inside the doors. Nothing but bad things can come of it.

Nope Sir, you are wrong.

People buy new ICE cars and keep them for years.
Why?
Because range is always same,unlimited, interior and tech is changing every 4 years and companies will LET YOU KNOW when that happens.

With Tesla, you have limited range, and if its not enough for your needs don`t buy it.
?
What do you mean ICE range is unlimited? Wouldn’t it be limited by the fuel tank size?

Reactions: DanDi58
I know many of you will not agree but i just cancelled my order and will wait till next spring/summer.

Current 326 mi range (less then 200 in real world-cold weather (according to my co-workers/friends) is just not enough.
Its ok for city - short distance car, but im not spending $60k for commuter car.
For city car - VW ID4 will cost $32k after all tax credits. Plus 3 years of free charging.

Next year we can expect this:
More range due new Panasonic battery and software could bring range up to 390 miles.
$7000 Tax credit for ALL EV vehicles sold next year looks promising.
Lower price of MY due new RWD model looks real too.
We should also expect interior re-design, it was rumoured china version is getting second/front screen soon.

And to add that word of the mouth is already starting to damage Tesla reputation (this comes from our local Tesla centre) i dont see this is the best time to spend $60k on new MY .

Agree?

I present to you my Model 3, a 27 month old car with fewer than 300 miles of EPA rated range on a full charge. It has 90,000 miles on it today with our most recent trip being a 5,600 mile jaunt from DC to San Diego to Seattle last week. I strongly disagree with your assertion that the Y’s range is inadequate.

Yeah, more range would be great. But the “lack” of range hasn’t prevented me from cross-crossing North America in all weather conditions.

I know many of you will not agree but i just cancelled my order and will wait till next spring/summer.

Current 326 mi range (less then 200 in real world-cold weather (according to my co-workers/friends) is just not enough.
Its ok for city - short distance car, but im not spending $60k for commuter car.
For city car - VW ID4 will cost $32k after all tax credits. Plus 3 years of free charging.

Next year we can expect this:
More range due new Panasonic battery and software could bring range up to 390 miles.
$7000 Tax credit for ALL EV vehicles sold next year looks promising.
Lower price of MY due new RWD model looks real too.
We should also expect interior re-design, it was rumoured china version is getting second/front screen soon.

And to add that word of the mouth is already starting to damage Tesla reputation (this comes from our local Tesla centre) i dont see this is the best time to spend $60k on new MY .

Agree?

While your individual points may be valid (though I'm not sure reputation damage is a blocker to a purchase), there will always be a better Tesla "just around the corner", and so you will never buy a Tesla.

As for range, there is no way you lose 30% or more winter driving unless you live in a VERY cold state .. and even then that is worst case. And why do you think ID.4 or any other EV is going to be any different in that respect (or have better range)?

Last edited:
While your individual points may be valid (though I'm not sure reputation damage is a blocker to a purchase), there will always be a better Tesla "just around the corner", and so you will never buy a Tesla.

As for range, there is no way you lose 30% or more winter driving unless you live in a VERY cold state .. and even then that is worst case. And why do you think ID.4 or any other EV is going to be any different in that respect (or have better range)?

Tesla and other electric car batteries lose 40% of their range in extremely cold weather: AAA.

They use a flawed testing methodology. First, the headline is clickbait, since they correct themselves and say "up to" 40% inn the article. Second, they test over a simulated 15 mile drive on a rolling road. Guess what? That's when the power consumption of an EV is much higher while the car, cabin, and systems are getting up to temperature. After that, power consumption goes way down (I've observed this on many many occasions). Sure, its more than in summer, but its easily less than the 40% claim. Also, this is in very cold conditions (at least they admit that much in the article).

• Helpful
Reactions: alexcue
Let’s be honest here. Unless we are talking about daily commuter of less than 50miles round trip, there is no doubt owning an EV changes your driving experience and life style on the road.

everyone’s usage and experience would be unique. I for example live in an apartment. I am lucky that the parking garage has charging stations and less than a block away. I don’t drive enough to even justify owning a Tesla (economic POV) and it’s definitely more hassle compare to ICE. However the driving experience and tech is top notch and that’s worth the extra hour spent at the charging stations during a road trip.

50 miles round trip? No way is this a threshold for changing your perspective, or at least not in a bad way. How do you justify this statement?

How is an EV “more hassle” than ICE? Every day, in the morning, my car is fully charged .. does than happen with an ICE? In 18 months of ownership my maintenance cost have been zero with No trips for oil changes or other scheduled stuff .. none. How is that more hassle than ICE?

Reactions: mswlogo

I’ve had a Model X and 3. And they both take abnormally long to dry out (water to stop streaking down window). Especially in cool weather. Sometimes I leave the windows open in the garage to help them dry out quicker.

I guess you have a blessed Tesla or blessed rain.

I never precondition, which might help dry them out too.