Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to crack her open and get inside the network for AP2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Their terms of sale do not permit them to take these actions. They are violating the DMCA carve out for research and public knowledge advancement as well as depriving you of property (software) that you've paid for. Tesla just does this because they can bully people because its such a god damn headache to sue them to stop it.
Yeah @croman, and post #169 is a pretty effective scarecrow, right?

The service centers won't usually let you come in just for a software update without some other issue.

This is Tesla's typical MO. They think they own the cars and are just letting us borrow them. There have been numerous instances of them remoting in to customer cars and making changes without the customers permission. Imagine if MS or Apple did that? They won't stop unless they have an internal change in leadership or until someone forces them too.

True, but I’ll say my issue is I don’t seem to be recieving software updates ;)

Are you on WiFi? Or LTE?

I’m still on .34 (but so are 40+% of users according to teslafi).

Anecdotally, I also find that I usually get updates much faster if I visit a SC/connect to their WiFi.

I'm always on WIFI @home, I guess we'll test this theory of no software updates for a few days, before I call the SC. It will be a good test since nothing juicy is in .40 that I am aware of.

BIgdog, that just sucks. Especially for someone who has faithfully supported the community for a long time. They could have issued a warning rather than just lowering the boom. I sincerely hope this gets resolved in your favor and they realize how much damage to their efforts this could cause. I can understand Tesla wanting to protect their internal workings but the heavy handedness is not the way to go about it.

They have now handed the "black hats" a challenge.

Reactions: gabeincal
Actually, Tesla tried to downgrade his vehicle in response to him leaking info. Then Elon waded into the fight and said "good hacking is a gift" and then Tesla continued to release firmware updates to his vehicle.

Well, all that happened, except the part where Tesla continued to release firmware updates, which I distinctly remember differently. The car remained blacklisted from OTA updates for a long time, at the very least, if not forever...? I remember because there was a clear discrepancy between Elon's tweet and Tesla's actual actions.

Do you recall when he started getting OTA updates again?

Tesla eventually released OTA updates on that car (my P85D). AFAIK it receives updates normally now (I no longer own it).

My P90++ still gets updates, even... and it's probably the most heavily modified Tesla ever. I do block them from downloading/installing, but that doesn't stop the car from seeing them available occasionally.

However... I do believe my personal experience is atypical, and I know for sure that Tesla does in fact block some vehicles from receiving OTA updates. They'll still install them at the service center on these cars, but no OTAs. Their reasoning seems to vary, and there is little consistency from what I can tell.