Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking the new maps rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find the new maps to be less optimistic on the available range for a trip. When driving from home to work using the old maps, starting with a 75% charge (S100D), would predict an arrival with 26% charge (180 miles). The new maps predicts arriving with 21% charge. That's about 10% more pessimistic by my calculations. The actual usage was unchanged from before, but it errors on the side of caution for the initial routing estimate now.

Pessimistic or Realistic? The traffic and weather conditions do tend to have an impact on battery consumption. Not sure if it takes that into account too now.

Agreed. Where I park @ work, there is no internet since I park 2 levels below the basement. Yet, when I came back to the car last evening, I had a message that Map data is ready. So it perhaps does take a while after the download, to fully unzip and process, before you see the notification.

Several people have reported the maps finish downloading 12-24 hours before you get the notice they're ready. The MCU is probably chewing away on the data, first verifying the download is good, but then it may need to do some decompression/installation. When the maps were downloading and installing on my car I noticed the vampire drain overnight went way up. My normal 90% ranged from 266-269, but when it was chewing, I was getting 264-265 when I got in the car. I thought the new firmware was more pessimistic about range estimates, but after the maps finished it went back to normal.

It seems that Tesla did a big push of the new maps across the US. Most states in the map now show more green than yellow, with probably the exception of Florida and Illinois where it is only ~40%.

5E09900D-E231-4DE0-ADE3-6618790F07FF.png

Also, there are several cases in the UK and only one reported the new maps in France, Norway, and Sweden.

800AF673-FAA6-4E40-95D4-2C71CA14A291.png

You can see the full map here. Please. remember to add yourself to the map

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
I've skimmed this thread and I'm still unclear (which will become clear why... :D ). Are the new maps a requirement for the new nav?

Here's the thing: I was just checking on Slacker for someone who was sure it was still broken (of course it wasn't), and I saw the Nav popup/add to release notes. Well, I do have the app add-on for Nav, and I *think* I have the new maps (hard to tell, I'll have to find a pic, it looks like the blue lines with the white dots at the corners, etc.). Because I am absolutely certain I never got the release notes popup/addon for the maps.

Been on 2018.12 for over a month.

I've skimmed this thread and I'm still unclear (which will become clear why... :D ). Are the new maps a requirement for the new nav?

Here's the thing: I was just checking on Slacker for someone who was sure it was still broken (of course it wasn't), and I saw the Nav popup/add to release notes. Well, I do have the app add-on for Nav, and I *think* I have the new maps (hard to tell, I'll have to find a pic, it looks like the blue lines with the white dots at the corners, etc.). Because I am absolutely certain I never got the release notes popup/addon for the maps.

People are using maps and nav interchangeably.

You will know if you got the new nav app for the IC display. The voice is quite different, and in my opinion, a bit too boomy and not as clear as the old voice... Whether the IC maps are completely new or the app just renders the old maps differently on the IC screen, I'm not sure. I'm inclined to think they are new as previously, my home address had a bit of an offset, but now it is spot on.

Last edited:
People are using maps and nav interchangeably.
How can that be true when Tesla has two notifications for it? Or don't they? Now I'm really confused... :D

I know I've seen posts from people showing the Tesla notes for 'I got new maps' and then the newer one for 'new nav'. Did it change at some point, time-wise? Can't be release-wise, I'm on 12!

How can that be true when Tesla has two notifications for it? Or don't they? Now I'm really confused... :D

I know I've seen posts from people showing the Tesla notes for 'I got new maps' and then the newer one for 'new nav'. Did it change at some point, time-wise? Can't be release-wise, I'm on 12!

I'm pretty sure the only notification for was the Navigation app beta. The fact that new IC maps may come along with it was never mentioned in any release notes that I saw... As cronman mentioned, folks have been referring to the new app and new maps interchangeably because of that...

New maps in your pic is the same maps as before just with Tesla Beta Nav written on it. So the maps are the same (except for the IC which threw out the Navigon maps and instead now uses Valhalla/Open Maps).

So there are no new maps right now. Google vector maps will probably come but later. The maps are the same on the MCU just with new nav overlay (which Tesla does). The IC nav/maps is all that changed (substantively).

New maps in your pic is the same maps as before just with Tesla Beta Nav written on it. So the maps are the same (except for the IC which threw out the Navigon maps and instead now uses Valhalla/Open Maps).

So there are no new maps right now. Google vector maps will probably come but later. The maps are the same on the MCU just with new nav overlay (which Tesla does). The IC nav/maps is all that changed (substantively).

The map in the IC and the maps used for doing the navigation are new maps, how are these not new maps? The map in the MCU is the same old Google Maps.

I finally got some time and created a couple of tables to display the data, this way is much easier to see the status of your region. I've decided to split the tables between USA & Canada and the rest of the world, mainly because I got much more reports from the USA and Canada that it would be hard to find the rest.

A quick analysis of the data tells us that most states with enough number of reports got over the hump and are reporting > 50% of people with the new maps.

In Europe, there are only isolated cases of people with the new maps but people in the Netherlands, UK, Norway, France, Poland, Sweden, and Switzerland have reported the new maps so while isolated they are now in a bunch of countries in Europe

You can see the tables here

• Helpful
Reactions: pjw65 and scottf200