Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-In Help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And how much is 10 months of insurance?

Irvine insurance is not cheap. My brother lives there. I think 10 months on an Acura is at least $600 to $800. But I think OP could sell his car privately without too much problem in Irvine. There is UC Irvine with thousands of potential buyers who loves Acura. I would get a quote from Carmax and maybe from Tesla trade in and goes from there.

Reactions: K-MTG
When I sold my Acura Integra GS-R a few years ago, I was leery of putting an ad in the paper, or on one of the on-line sites, especially given the kind of car it is. The car had been serviced regularly at a local shop (not the dealer), and they sometimes get cars in for repair, only to find that the best alternative is to look for another car instead of trying to fix whatever is wrong with theirs. They offered to direct any potential buyers my way. With their "service", I had some vetting of the buyer vs a random call from "the cloud", and the buyer had some vetting of the car from the shop, since they knew it well. It worked out perfectly.

We went to his bank and got me a cashier's check, then to AAA to transfer the title. I didn't realize they had that service, and it saved a LOT of time vs going to the DMV. Very pleasant experience overall, and I know the car went to a good home.

And how much is 10 months of insurance?

Insurance isn't that high since the TLX is a "spare" car in my policy and it is driven less than 5k miles annually.

Irvine insurance is not cheap. My brother lives there. I think 10 months on an Acura is at least $600 to $800. But I think OP could sell his car privately without too much problem in Irvine. There is UC Irvine with thousands of potential buyers who loves Acura. I would get a quote from Carmax and maybe from Tesla trade in and goes from there.

When I sold my Acura Integra GS-R a few years ago, I was leery of putting an ad in the paper, or on one of the on-line sites, especially given the kind of car it is. The car had been serviced regularly at a local shop (not the dealer), and they sometimes get cars in for repair, only to find that the best alternative is to look for another car instead of trying to fix whatever is wrong with theirs. They offered to direct any potential buyers my way. With their "service", I had some vetting of the buyer vs a random call from "the cloud", and the buyer had some vetting of the car from the shop, since they knew it well. It worked out perfectly.

We went to his bank and got me a cashier's check, then to AAA to transfer the title. I didn't realize they had that service, and it saved a LOT of time vs going to the DMV. Very pleasant experience overall, and I know the car went to a good home.

I am not familiar with the entire process, that is why I am leaning towards trading it in. Especially since my car is leased, I need to pay it off ($26k) before transferring the title.

^^transferring title in California is really easy. Once you pay off the car and have a clean title, all you need to do is sign over the pink slip to Joe and Sally Buyer. It is up to them to go re-register, pay the use tax, and get new tags.

Then you can go online and complete the Notice of Transfer so you won't get dinged for any tickets/fines. Easy-peasy.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/online/nrl/welcome

The dealer is selling a similar car with nearly 2x the miles for $28k. So my $26k is about right.

But I will check out Vroom, Carmax, Beepi, Swift, and Roadster. Anyone recommend anything else??

I heard Tesla matches CarMax and Beepi, is that true??

FYI, Beepi is "defunct". Tesla DID match my Carmax offer for a Fiat 500 Abarth when I purchased my Model S in 2015.

• Informative
Do you guys know the sales tax policy in California when conducting an early payoff?

For instance, if I have an intresed buyer that offers me $26k. Can I pay off the car, receive my title, and transfer the car to the new buyer? Or do I have to pay sales tax??

Insurance isn't that high since the TLX is a "spare" car in my policy and it is driven less than 5k miles annually.

I am not familiar with the entire process, that is why I am leaning towards trading it in. Especially since my car is leased, I need to pay it off ($26k) before transferring the title.

Trading the car you are going to take a bath, regardless of who you trade it to. Dealers want to make 30% margins, minimum, on their used car inventory and they also pad in the cost of detailing the car, providing at least a basic warranty and doing any minor repairs needed on the car they take in trade.

You will get the most $$ for your used car selling it independently, which is its own kind of hell if you insist on getting top dollar for your trade.

I have always sold my used vehicles myself but priced them competitively. I still get more than the dealer would give me and I can usually get them sold within a couple of weeks of listing them.

Now that the tax credit has been extended the smartest thing for you is suck it up, delay your delivery, and wait until your current car lease is up.

It's very difficult to get out of a lease without being upside down on it as you are discovering. You can use a lease swap service where someone assumes the lease, but you will pay about $1,000 or so to have this done.

Woah, you can do a title transfer at AAA? My mind is blown, I had no idea. I bet it varies state by state, but I'll call and verify. Nice tip!

In Colorado you just sign the title over to them... no need to notarize it or anything. The new owner takes the title along with the bill of sale to the DMV and presto, a few weeks later the new title arrives in the mail.

In Colorado you just sign the title over to them... no need to notarize it or anything. The new owner takes the title along with the bill of sale to the DMV and presto, a few weeks later the new title arrives in the mail.

Well, same here in Oregon. What was mentioned, was skipping the DMV (which is a horrible place to spend an hour) and instead go to AAA for the transfer (if you are a member). From another site:

"If you want to avoid the long lines at the DMV and are a member of AAA, you can transfer a pink slip, or now more commonly referred to as a car title, at most AAA auto club branches. The transfer is exactly the same as if your went to the DMV directly."

Well, same here in Oregon. What was mentioned, was skipping the DMV (which is a horrible place to spend an hour) and instead go to AAA for the transfer (if you are a member). From another site:

"If you want to avoid the long lines at the DMV and are a member of AAA, you can transfer a pink slip, or now more commonly referred to as a car title, at most AAA auto club branches. The transfer is exactly the same as if your went to the DMV directly."

Ah, I see the distinction.

The new owner has to go to the DMV in CO regardless of if the title is in their name in order to get the vehicle registered, so I don't see it as being a time saver.

Do you guys know the sales tax policy in California when conducting an early payoff?

For instance, if I have an intresed buyer that offers me $26k. Can I pay off the car, receive my title, and transfer the car to the new buyer? Or do I have to pay sales tax??

You don't pay sales tax. The buyer of your private sale car has to pay Use Tax after he registered the car with DMV. I think there are some exemption like the car was a gift or it was purchased from a family member than the buyer doesn't have to pay use tax.