Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TWC Gen 3 (Tesla Wall connector) for the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else think that the choice of 2.5m and 7.5m is a bit odd? 2.5m is pretty short, only really usable if the car is parked right next to the charge point, perhaps in a garage (I'd guess that's what it's designed for). On the other hand, 7.5m is pretty long, and a lot of cable to unwind and rewind. I've probably seen/worked on maybe three dozen or so installations now, and pretty much all of them needed a cable around 4m to 5m long. I shortened one of my cables because I found that the long one I initially installed was suffering a bit from being dragged on the ground, really because it was too long. Mind you, it's easy enough to just shorten the cable if you have the 7.5m one and find it's a bit too long.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Moderator comment - thread merged from "Any news on Tesla Gen 3 Wall connector for the UK?"

Hi, I don't suppose there's been any news on when the UK will get the Gen 3 Tesla wall connector?

Also is it known whether the Gen 3 will still need a Type B RCD installed? (based on the US version)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was waiting for it when I got my Model 3 a couple of months ago. In the end, I decided to get the Gen 2. The 7.5m lead was going to work better than the shorter lead on the new version. Cabe is rather chunky on the Gen 2 but it will probably just mean it can take more abuse.

Also, interesting on this thread Gen 3 Wall Connector that the main features the WiFi connectivity were been used for was chaging customers and monitoring usage etc. So not sure I see it turning into an Ohme type smart system anytime soon.

Moderator comment - posts merged from "Tesla Wall Charger Generation 3"

Hi All,

Does anyone know when the gen 3 wall charger will come to the UK and if it will be eligible for the OLEV grant being “smart”?

Really stuck- not sure whether should go with the usual other home wall charger options or wait. The cost despite the OLEV grant seems to be comparable for me for either as the location of the charger is going to be a distance away from the mains electric meter so apparently needs quite a bit of work.

Last edited by a moderator:
No news for people outside the US AFAIK.

If they are planning to, they’re not likely to announce it an advance, so I’d just get what meets your requirements based on what you know now. You may end up waiting for nothing otherwise.

Reactions: Mm2021
I'd agree with the above. The TWC is pretty well-designed and made, so should get through approval easily, but I think there just isn't the will by Tesla to do something over and above UL or CE approval work. The UK is a tiny market, so this doesn't really surprise me. What did surprise me was discovering recently that the Tesla UMC appears to have DC tolerant earth leakage protection, or at least uses earth leakage sensing that has a DC capability. I'd have thought that would be something worth putting on UK advertising material, given that there's a requirement here for all fixed EV charge points to have some form of DC tolerant earth leakage protection. I haven't yet had a chance to strip a recent TWC to see what that has inside, and am curious to know if it use the same sensor type or not.

The gen 3 can charge up to 48A for Model 3 and 60A for Model S/X, having wifi connectivity - it means that you can dial the current to charge the vehicle on your smartphone, rather than open up the box and use the tiny screwdriver to turn the rotary switch. The gen 3 also have lighter and skinnier cable.

No chance it'll do 48A, supply caps out at 32A. It remains to be seen if the cable is much lighter - 3 phase 32A is pretty much a fixed standard and all cables seem to be the same width.

The shorter cable means although I'd like the wifi (which will presumably integrate with the tesla app) I'm not really interested currently - the current length is perfect for reaching the back of the car from the house.

No chance it'll do 48A, supply caps out at 32A. It remains to be seen if the cable is much lighter - 3 phase 32A is pretty much a fixed standard and all cables seem to be the same width.

The shorter cable means although I'd like the wifi (which will presumably integrate with the tesla app) I'm not really interested currently - the current length is perfect for reaching the back of the car from the house.

It presumably can do 48amps but only on 3 phase ... the Model 3 has 3 onboard AC chargers each rated at 16 amps ... 3X16 is 48 ... of course hardly anybody in this country has a 3 phase domestic supply ... on single phase it uses 2 of the onboard chargers = 32amps (other charge points do the same regarding the 3 phase 48amp issue)

Last edited:
Reactions: RedMod3
It presumably can do 48amps but only on 3 phase ... the Model 3 has 3 onboard AC chargers each rated at 16 amps ... 3X16 is 48 ... of course hardly anybody in this country has a 3 phase domestic supply ... on single phase it uses 2 of the onboard chargers = 32amps (other charge points do the same regarding the 3 phase 48amp issue)
We were close to having a 3-phase supply to our property when it was built 30 years ago, but just got away with a 100A single phase supply as at the time we used storage heaters. Now with improved energy efficiency, we can get away with a 32 amp charger with our heat-pump heating and cooling.

It you face the back or a Smart Car and a Tesla, the charge port on the Smart is on the right and on the Tesla it is on the left. Our Tesla charger is on the right side wall of the garage and the 7.5m cable will be long enough to charge both cars, so for me, the Type 2 charger is a better choice. Wi-Fi control has no benefit as the charge start time is set by the Tesla.

I suspect they are US specs rather than any concrete UK specs