Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2020.32.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have never understand why the brake lights stay on whilst held. My golf did it too. I find annoying as hell when behind people.

I'm guessing it's to reduce the likelihood of motorway pile ups. I hate being stationary on a motorway unless I've got brake lights or hazards on. Of course if you're in the middle of the queue it just causes annoyance.

I think the car has the tech to do a smart rear brake light.

I personally hate being behind another car when they have their brake lights on, especially taller cars or when wet. And thats not withstanding the legality of it.

Highway Code said:
114 You MUST NOT
  • use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
  • use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).
In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
Law RVLR reg 27

However I get why people at end of a queue may want to keep a brake light on to better warn others still moving.

Of course, hold mode keeps brakes applied and brake lights on. But as brake light is software controlled and car has sensors to know the proximity of vehicles, there is scope for a well designed and implemented system to detect a stationary car behind and turn off brake lights. Best of both worlds.

I'm on 2020.32.1 and noticed how much worse cornering was on windy roads. It no longer wants to slow down before taking curves like it did on previous versions. Autopilot became much less useable.... (However NOA on motorways seemed more confident...!)

Hopefully this is fixed in 2020.32.2

Bl**dy phantom drain problem has reappeared with 2020.32.2 on my Raven MX. Last saw this way back with one of the updates and it disappeared once another update came through, so I hope I get another update soon. Lost 4kw in 24 hours (garaged at home so sentry turned off and sd card unplugged). Tried all forms of rebooting to no avail.

• Informative
Reactions: Gatsojon and CMc1
Bl**dy phantom drain problem has reappeared with 2020.32.2 on my Raven MX. Last saw this way back with one of the updates and it disappeared once another update came through, so I hope I get another update soon. Lost 4kw in 24 hours (garaged at home so sentry turned off and sd card unplugged). Tried all forms of rebooting to no avail.

I don't yet have 2020.32.x but would just comment that after some previous updates the car appears to spend a couple of days being particularly active. The people monitoring with Teslafi or Teslamate may have the data to show if this is just my imagination (which it could be)!!

Reactions: Tonybvi
I'm guessing it's to reduce the likelihood of motorway pile ups. I hate being stationary on a motorway unless I've got brake lights or hazards on. Of course if you're in the middle of the queue it just causes annoyance.

Perhaps but I think it's more likely not been thought about, imagine in the US it's normal as they mainly drive auto.

100% agree, my hazards always go on in that situation

I think the car has the tech to do a smart rear brake light.

I personally hate being behind another car when they have their brake lights on, especially taller cars or when wet. And thats not withstanding the legality of it.

However I get why people at end of a queue may want to keep a brake light on to better warn others still moving.

Of course, hold mode keeps brakes applied and brake lights on. But as brake light is software controlled and car has sensors to know the proximity of vehicles, there is scope for a well designed and implemented system to detect a stationary car behind and turn off brake lights. Best of both worlds.

I'm pretty much in agreement however the trouble I see is people adapt and become used to brake lights being on all the time when stationary. I can imagine less observant/impatient drivers seeing the brake lights turning off and then driving into your rear, particularly when eager to get onto a roundabout for example.

I've, touch wood, not ever felt that even though I will occasionally press and release the brakes whilst stationary. If people drive on brake lights rather than movement of vehicle, then more fool them. Some cars there is quite a delay in car beginning to move off after foot released from brake pedal, such as start/stop systems - I'm not sure that I would ever depress the clutch (to restart engine) and put car into gear whilst my foot was on the brake, although its all instinctive so can't really be 100% certain.

Perhaps when in hold leave the brake light on when a foot’s on the pedal - but turn it off after a period otherwise - then the driver has control either way to use lights? Makes it a little like the interplay with handbrake use.

First drive on 2020.32.2.

Whilst following cars in a queue, I thought visualisation position and type of vehicle accuracy of cars being followed and oncoming cars slightly better/consistent.

I then did the chauffeur bit whilst parked up waiting and properly cleaned the front windscreen.

Followed by autopilot camera calibration. Having had the front windscreen replaced recently and no obvious calibration drive done as others had said their cars had, I thought it worth doing. A brief warning text stating it may take up to 100 miles to perform, I accepted and a few seconds later calibration settings had been cleared.

On selecting drive, Autopilot reverted to the steering symbol with grey outline but an incomplete blue segment starting at approx 6 o'clock. Of the course of next 7 or 8 miles on predominately well marked roads and motorway, the blue line extend through the whole circumference. During the calibration period, whist lines showed in visualisation, I don't recall seeing any vehicles. TACC was unavailable meaning that autosteer wouldn't have been either. All pretty much as occurred following pickup. Camera calibration completed with a beep and on screen message.

I continued the trip on a combination of TACC and Navigate on Autopilot. I didn't feel that the steering was quite so confident. No issue with nags like I felt was the case with 2020.28.x. Car felt very safe even on a very busy motorway.

Pulling onto the offramp and the road flares into two lane, I didn't notice a huge improvement if any. It still resulted in a small tug of war with the car eventually aborting autosteer as I won the choice of lane selection. I had a left turn at roundabout but the car seemed to want to stay right - lanes for back onto motorway or left turn. Certainly didn't feel that the car was in anyway wanting to get in lane pertinent for the route it was following. That will be nice when it finally does that.

Later queuing at a roundabout, I felt the positioning of visualised cars in adjacent line were too close to centre line. It was showing some cars as offline when in reality it was marginal at best. But it is only a visualisation and good that the car notices subtle positional differences.

Finally, no sign of car doing anything different for speed signs. No road sign recognition even though rumour that it is now happening in the background.

Are people still getting charge start and end notifications?

I found them turned off in the app yesterday so turned them back on and subsequently confirmed, but still no notifications. I think I originally turned off notifications from when it was sunny and I was charging via solar.

I'm on app iOS 3.10.8 (up to date) and 2020.32.2 but its happening on multiple iOS devices of various generations both same app version.

Too wet outside to want and check the car for any settings so thought I would ask here :oops:

Are people still getting charge start and end notifications?

I found them turned off in the app yesterday so turned them back on and subsequently confirmed, but still no notifications. I think I originally turned off notifications from when it was sunny and I was charging via solar.

I'm on app iOS 3.10.8 (up to date) and 2020.32.2 but its happening on multiple iOS devices of various generations both same app version.

Too wet outside to want and check the car for any settings so thought I would ask here :oops:
If it’s on in the app you should get them but they do seem a bit random.
We have 4 up to date iOS devices and not all of them get all the notifications!

Went for a short drive after installing 32.3 and noticed phantom braking is now less aggressive Still there but doesn't slam on as hard, more like a nervous stab at the brakes.
Well I hope I get the download before the weekend trip to Bucks. Last time I had 5 or 6 phantom braking episodes on that trip. Being less agressive would be really nice.

Well I hope I get the download before the weekend trip to Bucks. Last time I had 5 or 6 phantom braking episodes on that trip. Being less agressive would be really nice.
I hope so also, I've noticed 28.6 is really bad and on a 100 mile drive on Monday it phantom braked 3 times which I manually accelerated out of and then took my foot off again just for it to continue braking, my only solution seemed to be to disengage AP and then instantly reengage it and it was fine. Very odd!