Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.4.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021.4.18 available for my MP3 this morning, currently updating and I’ll see if there’s anything to report on the way to work this morning!
Couldn't see any difference, but there again I haven't got any problems with mine.🤷‍♂️
Only odd behaviour is it occasionally dips the driver mirror when first getting in. Hardly a problem as I'm coming from many years of Jaguars, beautifully built, but people think we have problems 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

My first drive on 4.15.10

tl;dr - mixed bag. Nervous TACC, poor wipers. Probably best AP/NoA experience to date. And voice dial worked for first time for me.

A good day to test the windscreen wipers. #fail - they simply do not know when to stop or slow down when under tree canopy and windscreen has been wiped dry of rain and/or drips. Also on countless occasions, I had to prompt them into action.

TACC on 40mph A road - used because all to easy to drift over the speed limit. Medium rain. #fail Car was spooked by oncoming traffic on far too many occasions and often applying the brakes for no reason and sounding collision warning alert. This started the conversation that it seems to collision warning alert more frequently as of recently. It felt like one of the releases from 2020 where TACC really wasn't happy.

I got stuck in gridlocked traffic so called home to see if there was anything obvious going on. I tried voice calling from contacts list. First time it missed the 'phone' so told me that text messaging was not available (needs iOS 13+) on my phone. It can be forgiven as I am a little hoarse at present. But second time #perfect - got offered on screen a number of alternative numbers which was easy to select by hand as I was stationary - I didn't see if I could continue by voice. This was the first time that voice dialing ever worked for me and I was beginning to think it wasn't supported on my phone.

After @Dilly's comments, I specifically tested NoA on the clockwise M25/south bound M3 intersection. Dry and sunny conditions. #perfect for first time ever apart from speed limits on M3 wrong but I was on scroll wheel speed control so not an issue. Loads of lovely auto lane changes. One did time out/abort after starting the manoeuvre but that was due to a bit of hesitancy with a van also lane changing at similar time - exact details a bit of a blur, but all safely done with no drama.

NoA off M3 at J4, it started well, but AP eventually aborted on the tight anticlockwise off ramp. It was ramping down the speed slowly but no message. It may have been user error as rate of turn for our speed was feeling uncomfortable so I may have been gripping too tight. Lane selection and positioning was good. I have turned off stop line control recently so not sure how it would have behaved at the stop line.

I had one occasion where we passed a dog walker but we were too slow to check the screen to see if it picked up the dog. It picked up a cyclist on the pavement from a decent distance though. Lots of school activity around when we started out, kids on bikes and walking etc. But clearly not a bring your pet to work day.
I thought it was common knowledge that cruise control on any car shouldn't be used in the rain?

• Disagree
Reactions: pow216
I thought it was common knowledge that cruise control on any car shouldn't be used in the rain?
Any “automated” system like TACC or FSD / Autopilot should IMHO always be used as an aid to driving and (at the moment at least) never a substitute for the driver.
The robots may be coming but AFAIAC they ain’t here yet, not in my car anyway🤪

and that's not what the manual actually says.

1621448362774.png

basically use TACC unless it would be inappropriate to drive at a consistent speed.

Well I wouldn’t trust it in anything more than light rain. You cant tell me that rain doesn’t get on the sensors and won’t effect them.

The number of standard driving systems reliant on these sensors you will be saying that we cannot use the car in the rain at all.

You quickly learn the limitations of the vehicles function and what road conditions are appropriate for use when and where by each feature. Having the vehicles nervous behaviour on TACC today is not its normal behaviour, irrespective of the moderate rain that is perfectly typical for the UK.

Last edited:
The number of standard driving systems reliant on these sensors you will be saying that we cannot use the car in the rain at all.

You quickly learn the limitations of the vehicles function and what road conditions are appropriate for use when and where by each feature. Having the vehicles nervous behaviour on TACC today is not its normal behaviour, irrespective of the moderate rain that is perfectly typical for the UK.
Using EAP on the M4 today. When it rained I got the message that it had been disabled because of bad weather. Normal AP still worked.

TACC on 40mph A road - used because all to easy to drift over the speed limit. Medium rain. #fail Car was spooked by oncoming traffic on far too many occasions and often applying the brakes for no reason and sounding collision warning alert. This started the conversation that it seems to collision warning alert more frequently as of recently. It felt like one of the releases from 2020 where TACC really wasn't happy.

I'm not the only one who has noticed this.

I am on the same upgrade path [4.15.x]. My experience on this path is that I initially received significantly more forward collision alerts, generally triggered by things on the roadside (tree trunks, mirrors, etc.). Each update they have been going down. My thought is (based on green the only's assertions) is that this branch is testing removal of the radar, using vision only for forward collision warning (among other things).
Interesting that potentially the radar removal release may already be with some of us.