Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.40.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Test drive another EV if you want to feel better about the Tesla.

Other brands get the basics right, often a lot better than Tesla, but man oh man how are they still getting the user experience stuff so wrong in 2021? The BMW i3 I had a couple of years ago was quirky, and very restricted in what it would do. The Peugeot e-2008 I've got on subscription at the moment - the UI apparently needs me to stick updates on a USB stick and take it into the car. It can't update wirelessly even though it can connect to wireless in the car? It also took a full week before I could even see it properly in the app, and the app is crap.

Outside of maybe a Taycan (and I'm sure that has quirks too) Tesla have really nailed the user experience in the car, in my opinion. The UI is slick and responsive, and when you're interacting with it every time you drive the car you definitely notice how poorly other brands measure up.

I wouldn't call myself an Apple fanboy but the car really has that "first iPhone among a sea of crusty WAP phones" sort of appeal. Everything else you experience seems uniquely broken by comparison, which is criminal in a post-iPhone/iPad world.
I would disagree with this. I don't think the interface is right at all. Somethings just aren't intuitive or don't work as expected

For what it's worth I can confirm that TIDAL does NOT play in "Hifi" or "Master" quality over LTE, only wireless. Not tried to see if it can be tricked into playing at a higher bitrate if you tether to your phone or not.

Bit disappointing.
To be honest given the track record with spotify I'd be surprised if it did.

It does have the high bitrate download option though.

I had Apple CarPlay on my last car (Ford S-Max Vignale with Sync 3) and I never used it. Chiefly because it takes over the whole UI and you cannot use the superb in-built nav when it's running - you have to use Apple Maps and rely on a cellular network connection.

All I want the Tesla UI to do is allow me to see and select music from my phone on the big screen, and let me access Siri by long pressing the right hand button on the steering wheel (with short click for Tesla voice commands). This works really well in practice. I know it's possible because Ford Sync 3 does it - and that's a system from 5-10 years ago.
You still can access Siri by pressing the right hand button and saying hey siri. I have done that and it worked. If you just press the button without saying Hey siri then Tesla voice command take over.

You still can access Siri by pressing the right hand button and saying hey siri. I have done that and it worked. If you just press the button without saying Hey siri then Tesla voice command take over.
You sure that wasn’t just your phone hearing the “Hey Siri” command, and nothing to do with pressing the button? If you have a button that activates Siri, like on CarPlay equipped cars, you don’t need to say “Hey Siri.”

You sure that wasn’t just your phone hearing the “Hey Siri” command, and nothing to do with pressing the button? If you have a button that activates Siri, like on CarPlay equipped cars, you don’t need to say “Hey Siri.”

That's what I'm after. I feel like a tw@t saying "Hey Siri" all the time, even when I'm on my own in the car.

I should say that in the Ford, you didn't need CarPlay enabled (I mean, its UI didn't need to be on screen) to be able to long press the voice button on the wheel to get to Siri.

I’ll clarify this. But I am sure it is not my phone hearing as the text hey Siri appears on Tesla before the command gets typed. Will check whether it is Tesla or Siri. I think the voice command I use most often is to call people etc., using Siri and also for playing Spotify from my phone. Is it possible these actions can be done by Tesla voice command? I have to observe this closely.

I’ll clarify this. But I am sure it is not my phone hearing as the text hey Siri appears on Tesla before the command gets typed. Will check whether it is Tesla or Siri. I think the voice command I use most often is to call people etc., using Siri and also for playing Spotify from my phone. Is it possible these actions can be done by Tesla voice command? I have to observe this closely.
I use Hey Siri without pressing any buttons when I want to call someone. The phone sitting in the charging location picks up my voice and the call is then dialled and operated through the Tesla interface. (The reason I do it is because the voice recognition of the car is not as good and can fail unless in an excellent connectivity area.)

Reactions: Cardo
I use Hey Siri without pressing any buttons when I want to call someone. The phone sitting in the charging location picks up my voice and the call is then dialled and operated through the Tesla interface. (The reason I do it is because the voice recognition of the car is not as good and can fail unless in an excellent connectivity area.)
Apple’s voice recognition is also far more accurate. When sending a message or making a call, I always use “Hey Siri” rather then Tesla’s voice recognition. Trying to call my wife using the Tesla voice recognition is an exercise in frustration.

Reactions: CMc1
Apple’s voice recognition is also far more accurate. When sending a message or making a call, I always use “Hey Siri” rather then Tesla’s voice recognition. Trying to call my wife using the Tesla voice recognition is an exercise in frustration.
Yep. Much more of it is done on device since the advent of iOS 15 too.

It is possible. I don’t keep my phone in the charging pad so it is always in my pocket unless I have to charge. The only other finding is I do this in my other car calling hey Siri when my phone is in my pocket but it never picks up. I have to get the phone out and blast the command.

So I am not sure. Does Siri works the traditional way it works in car play enabled cars I don’t know as I have never used car play. But when you press the right hand wheel and call Siri - you do get a response may be thro Tesla interface but it is Siri voice not the Tesla one. Bit confusing. Watch this space I’ll do proper testing and update for others

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado