Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK 2021 Orders and Pending Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a M3 SR+ on October 1st with the estimated delivery time as November. A few days ago the estimated delivery time on the configuration builder switched to February for SR+.
Are there any SR+ owners who have got their VINs recently? I've mostly just seen LR and some P owners saying they have VINs.

• Disagree
Reactions: Abcmsaj
I ordered a M3 SR+ on October 1st with the estimated delivery time as November. A few days ago the estimated delivery time on the configuration builder switched to February for SR+.
Are there any SR+ owners who have got their VINs recently? I've mostly just seen LR and some P owners saying they have VINs.

If you have ordered by October 1st you are likely to be in the queue for q4. Vin allocation for q4 will run into late Nov, even early December.

Reactions: OddityError
I know Tesla don't make vehicles to order, however do they throw a dice in the morning when they start or do they say "Right lads we have some extra black paint today let's do a couple of extra black ones"?
Just guessing, but I would expect they accumulate orders into production batches, which then get sent down the line, dependant on how much reconfig work is needed on the line to switch from one configuration batch to another. Those batches are likely then matched once on the ships, but does mean there will be a small number post each quarter which need mopping up in the early part of the next, which is what I think we're seeing.

The bit I'd like to know is how far away from LEAN Tesla operate, given they have moved "backwards" towards the vertical integration model and don't seem to be shy about holding stocks of components, when ordering large quantities makes sense e.g. semi-conductor based parts. This appears largely why they are smashing their quarterlies vs. the other manufacturers, who basically shut down their supply chains last year and are now paying the price, as the chains won't start up again in as they are favouring customers who kept them in business/revenue.

This has pretty much been my experience. Ordered early August and promised September delivery. However, they obviously didn't make enough of my spec during Q3 so I was punted to the head of the queue for Q4.

The lack of comms from Tesla is frustrating, compared to having a traditional dealer eager to keep you on-side in anticipation of lucrative service £££ down the line. The former is a price I'm happy to pay to ditch the latter.

This has pretty much been my experience. Ordered early August and promised September delivery. However, they obviously didn't make enough of my spec during Q3 so I was punted to the head of the queue for Q4.

The lack of comms from Tesla is frustrating, compared to having a traditional dealer eager to keep you on-side in anticipation of lucrative service £££ down the line. The former is a price I'm happy to pay to ditch the latter.
I can't argue with that, but the wait is a pain.

Almost every Auto maker is poor on communication, particularly in the initial few weeks once order is placed. Tesla is no different. Making cars take time as they all follow the Just In Time methodology which will need a reasonably filled order queue to keep the assembly line ticking. As the order enters the queue it is bound to be there for a period of time (initial wait) before it gets scheduled for production. This delay depends on the depth of the queue and right now all automaker's order queue is a lot deeper than it usually was. Tesla has a few things going well for them. The order matching process means that production is less dependent on the order queue. This translates to reduced waiting times. Many of us including me develop an OCDC once we place the order (would be an interesting area of research) and the silence during the initial wait period becomes frustrating. From the maker's POV, not sure what they could communicate other than saying something like "you are in the queue waiting for the next available agent ;-) " In addition to the Tesla M3LR order I also have an ID3 on order and I don't even want to start to explain how much more frustrating it is to get any information from VW or the dealership.

It will be a good measure to see how many of us return to this forum after taking delivery of the car particularly if there are no subsequent issues with the car itself. Hang tight the car will land and I am fascinated as why we (and I) are obsessed with more comms as that is not going to make the car arrive any sooner :). I have learnt a thing or two about the shipping world just by being on this forum.