Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK 2021 Orders and Pending Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with a TM3 LR order that can share their 8th VIN digit?
It seems like some have "B" and some have "K" which indicates a difference in motors.

What is the difference? And what do you have on your order?
Most UK cars for Q4 seem to have B, which indicates the older US supplied motor in Shanghai built cars. There are a handful of ‘K’ VINS on cars delivered to the UK in Q3, but it’s not clear if they also have a larger battery pack associated with the K motor - which is Chinese supplied motor with hairpin windings. I believe it’s meant to be more efficient

For those that want to understand what the power ratings for the different motors used in Model 3 and Y are. Below from Munro...

motor spec.jpg

So if the new SR+ are supposedly coming with the Model Y motor, instead of the performance Model 3 version, is that going to be the Long range at 180kw, or the P at the identical 202kw? Or will it be the Long range Y motor, with the power tweaked up a little (A bit like the US version).

Hairpin motor (K) is primarily a cost saving design. Jury is out whether it is better in any way than the B ( conventional wound motor).

SR+ with the hairpin motor is slower 0-60, but seems to have more range, although this could well be due to battery difference not motor performance (or lack of).
I don’t think either way there is much in it.

Reactions: Electron Mike
Only people I've seen with K in their Vins were from Q3 deliveries - witness here for yourself as I had already reached out to them Have you had a Model 3 LR delivered in the last 4-6 weeks/Q3?

Very few Q4 deliveries have even happened. To someone elses point that K in the vin is associated with the bigger battery, I dont believe this is the case - K is linked to a motor change for a reason unknown to all of us.

Makes absolute zero sense to dish out a small handful of larger batteries and then revert back to older batteries in Q4 deliveries. Truth be told, you can not tell which battery you have from a VIN. ONLY way you can tell is by hooking your car up to an OBD reader when you get your car.

That all being said, the panasonic battery in any vehicle currently appears to be trash. It falls apart at low temps and charging speeds are poop. Whilst we're all here drooling over Europe and the US with their larger batteries, I think its those guys who have plucked out the small straw.

Not to mention the performance that gets sucked out of it below 50% SOC

**Just to note Im only refering to LR here, or commonly known as now the SR++.

Tends to depend who you speak to from experience. I've been told I will have the new battery and heated seats/steering wheel, and I have been told that I won't, on the same day, by different reps.

My experience seems to be that the ones who say that I will have those features give more specific answers and those who say I won't I generally get copy paste macros, so I'm choosing to believe the ones who said I will get it. Either way, I have screenshotted whole conversations with Tesla CS saying that I will have these features, and I will be ready to show that conversation on collection in the event I don't have those features.
There’s really not much you can do when on your delivery day your car doesn’t have those features, apart from not accepting the car. You will be provided with a car as ordered, which doesn’t have those features. Whatever CS said carries little weight.

Dug it up for reference
55b3ee96-d1ed-401b-bd38-2cda3d2540ba-jpeg.729160
Yeah I remember seeing that one. I'm more worried on the range and acceleration though. Especially the rear heated seats with me being a forever alone sorta guy, the one or two times a year someone is in the back or the car won't make too much difference to me 😄

Its unsettling that I can't get this clarified in writing. Sent another follow up email to the delivery team earlier and again, wall of silence. If they won't know until the car arrives that's fine - just tell me so I can temper expectations

I've got my VIN now. 8th digit being an "A".
It seems that every car delivered after the 01/11 will get the new upgrades
Unfortunately it's not that simple. A lot of people in this thread have J with a November/December delivery. I have A myself which is apparently the older performance motor but who knows at this point. If Tesla employees don't then us forum dwellers most definitely don't

There’s really not much you can do when on your delivery day your car doesn’t have those features, apart from not accepting the car. You will be provided with a car as ordered, which doesn’t have those features. Whatever CS said carries little weight.
Wouldn't have any problem at all if I got the car I ordered and so did everyone else, but if people in my batch get extra for the same price and I don't then I will absolutely turn into a Karen, especially since the heated wheel/seats are just a software unlock.

• Funny
Reactions: Bandito