Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.28.X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Late night drive up the A1 between Hatfield and Grantham. I'll caveat this by saying Autopilot has always seemed to struggle with the A1 on this route, but this was a fairly unpleasant litany of phantom braking, AHB being completely not caring about visible tail lights and cars on the other side of the reservation, with a need to manually cancel every time AP was re-engaged. Thank god it wasn't raining. Sh**e.
I have not updated to 28, and - with announcements such as ultrasonic sensors being disabled - I think the software version I am on currently will be the last for me short of forced updates.

They will get you in the end. I turned off Wi-Fi to the car to avoid one update and after avoiding it for several months they pushed it over LTE.

I also recently used a supercharger and download button went green. Didn’t risk pressing it in case it had downloaded and was about to trigger the install nag. I think I got away with it as after leaving supercharger the download/install button went back to yellow so suspect I left before it finished download.

One thing I did learn was if a download completes and you get the install nag, once you get offered another update the nag will disappear as it’s now wanting you to download a different update.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Thanks, that's helpful advice.

I can't understand why they push so many updates out when clearly they do zero testing. I might give them a pass if they were safety critical; but using the last six months as a guide they seem to have been either trivial improvements or downright retrograde.

Last edited:
Driving the M6 N yesterday daytime and dry weather from Stoke to home (near Glasgow) on AP and at Penrith the car went mental with alarms, visualisation stopped and warning messages, cruise disabled, SOS disabled, automatic emergency braking disabled. So 150 miles with no cruise was a joy. Parked up for an hour, went back out and all working again. Oh and when it was a bit cloudy it would switch on headlights and a few times had main beam on in broad daylight. Worth raising a service request? Probably not, it goes back to the leasing company in 6 weeks. I'll miss it in some ways and be glad it's gone in others.

Reactions: CWT3LR
One new behaviour I noticed yesterday is that the car will let you accelerate while pressing the brake pedal.

I think it used to cut all drive power.
I recall trying some gentle left foot braking whilst still on the accelerator (as a method of cleaning the discs) ... the car went crazy with strident beeping and screen messages telling me not to! This was a while ago so not on a recent software version.

I'm trying to get 36.2 and looking for updates, now I can search one time in 24h.
Anyone else?

There's no way to jump the queue AFAIK. Tesla release their updates in batches. Although not perfect, this site shows that people are still getting 28.2 as of today so it looks like 36.2 is not on wide release yet.

Also, if it still works the way it did 2-3 years ago then people with FSD are prioritised first. Often my boss will get an update on his Model S Raven 2 weeks before I get it on my Model 3 LR.

I would say relax and be patient - by the time you get it it will probably have a few bug fixes anyway. I'm really looking forward to the new Energy app but I have heard horror stories about AP from this thread and others, so I am in no rush to get it myself!

Last edited:
Reactions: speedyranger74
I'm trying to get 36.2 and looking for updates, now I can search one time in 24h.
Anyone else?
Yeah, I've noticed a change. It used to be if you checked it looked and came back and said "no new stuff for you", now it does nothing, just says when it was last checked earlier that day.

Must admit I hadn't realised it was once per 24hrs though... Good spot!

Reactions: speedyranger74
I k
I went on a 90 mile trip yes

There's no way to jump the queue AFAIK. Tesla release their updates in batches. Although not perfect, this site shows that people are still getting 28.2 as of today so it looks like 36.2 is not on wide release yet.

Also, if it still works the way it did 2-3 years ago then people with FSD are prioritised first. Often my boss will get an update on his Model S Raven 2 weeks before I get it on my Model 3 LR.

I would say relax and be patient - by the time you get it it will probably have a few bug fixes anyway. I'm really looking forward to the new Energy app but I have heard horror stories about AP from this thread and others, so I am in no rush to get it myself!
I know how is working.
My concern is until few days ago if I looked for updates will tell me its updated and show the current date and time.
From Friday, no. It's likely allow to check one time in 24h. If I try now will tell me is updated 9th October 23:15.

I will wait... no alternative.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221011_034944.jpg
    Screenshot_20221011_034944.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20221011_035902.jpg
    Screenshot_20221011_035902.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 21
Will try it out fully today..
I'm still relatively new to the world of Tesla - however I feel that there is a palpable feeling of concern at every upgrade, something that I didn't notice before.
( As a former jaguar/land-rover owner, I have had my fair share of sw update woes...)

Will try it out fully today..
I'm still relatively new to the world of Tesla - however I feel that there is a palpable feeling of concern at every upgrade, something that I didn't notice before.
( As a former jaguar/land-rover owner, I have had my fair share of sw update woes...)
I'd say that while some people will report issues here, the software upgrade rollout process (generally over the space of a month across the fleet) means that finding significant issues is the exception not the rule. They're quite good at putting a release out to a small number of customers first, getting feedback and deciding when to push the update.

There may be issues like disabling the low resolution radar in 2022.28 which cause intentional regressions in performance, but generally things tend to improve

I'd say that while some people will report issues here, the software upgrade rollout process (generally over the space of a month across the fleet) means that finding significant issues is the exception not the rule. They're quite good at putting a release out to a small number of customers first, getting feedback and deciding when to push the update.

There may be issues like disabling the low resolution radar in 2022.28 which cause intentional regressions in performance, but generally things tend to improve
Coming from JLR myself, I think OP meant a risk of a failed software upgrade install that bricks the car entirely...
Been there...:D

Reactions: DaveNN