Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.28.X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep.. what’s totally stupid is the speed limit changes but the TACC target speed doesn’t on some roads. It knows the speed limit is lower and does nothing about it.
That’s a good thing, I’ve seen it misread the limit as 10mph on the motorway before and I wouldn’t want it to automatically reduce my speed to that.

There’s also a stretch of the A19 where it sees the sign for 70 but it still thinks the speed is 40.

That’s a good thing, I’ve seen it misread the limit as 10mph on the motorway before and I wouldn’t want it to automatically reduce my speed to that.

There’s also a stretch of the A19 where it sees the sign for 70 but it still thinks the speed is 40.
Sadly your logic is flawed by the fact that on 2 way roads it does adjust. So you can still have your 60->10mph

But either way, why can't it alert you to a speed change or do something rather than just ignore it? Whats the point of displaying the speed limit if its so unreliable that its pointless?

I have had that too (in Australia, so also RHD). Consensus experience here is that an "auto lane change refusal" like you describe is much more likely to happen when changing to a lane to your left than it is when changing to a lane on your right.

I have had it happen in various lighting/weather conditions, haven't been able to work out a particular factor causing it, just that it happens (for me and several others) much more when moving to a lane to the left than one to the right.
Happened to me twice when changing to a lane on my right actually, and the car swerved back to the left.
Just some alarming beeps quickly had to take back control. There were no cars or lorries in the right lane, so I am really puzzled, but also not so confident in AP abilities in the long run now...
I wish there was a diagnostic screen detailing precisely what caused an abort behaviour (rather than just some generic troubleshooting options in the notification panel).

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Yep.. what’s totally stupid is the speed limit changes but the TACC target speed doesn’t on some roads. It knows the speed limit is lower and does nothing about it.
You can get the audible sound by having a speed limit in place with the chime above, lets say 7mph...
But at least aa way of accepting the change quickly from the steering wheel (not stupidly holding down the stalk for 3 secs) would be nice.

For EAP/FSD : twice already I was surprised by the car suddenly aborting a lane change mid-way and suddenly swerving back to its original position. What is usually the trigger for that and how to prevent it. Was quite dangerous and caused some passenger complaints!
A number of potential reasons, some already covered here. But it can also be caused by 'user error' which is caused by poor implementation.

An auto lane change must complete within a set period of time (can't remember exact duration, but not very long). By complete, the car needs to have passed/seen the lines of the lane that you are changing into - again, cannot remember the exact rule but the gist of it (example is overtaking, so changing into right lane, but its the opposite when changing to left lane) is that if the car has not seen that the passenger side of the car has passed the white line by the time that the manoeuvrer 'times out', it will abort the lane change in, as you have discovered, an alarming way, by suddenly moving back from whence it came - even more worrying when some impatient twat has started to fill that space.

The user error is that when signalling for the lane change, the car is expecting to feel you holding the steering wheel. There is a short grace period, but if it is left too long, part of the poor implementation is that the car will start the lane change without having enough time to complete, hence suddenly pulling back into lane. So when prompted to hold the wheel, don't leave it too long to satisfy the nag. Even better, don't trigger the nag in the first place by ensuring that you are satisfying the torque requirements right from the outset, which will give a seamless lane change.

Gained from experience of being in that position one too many times including having some twat try to overtake me as I was pulling back in from an overtake, car lane change aborts, and car swerve right back in front of them... Lesson learned not to use auto lane change if cars behind me.

For me, I always use NoA, the fake turn off behaviour and indicating to stay on the motorway happen with a route planned.

Some form of that has been around since at least late 2019. iirc Oxford turn off on M40 would give the phantom indicator - confused the hell out of me the first time it did it to me. At the time I put it down to a mapping and/or GPS error - in opposite direction car would slow to the interchange speed. Not done that trip recent enough to know what it does now.

Reactions: goRt
Back to boggo ACC
Noticed that mine takes off like a stabbed rat after pulling up behind a vehicle .
It then slows and then sorts itself out.
Kind of over and undershooting.
Vom inducing
When Musk said there would be robotaxis, I didn't think they'd actually code the driving habits of the average minicab driver into the system :D

TACC target speed changes if you set it one mile below or above the set target speed limit ( essentially it changes if you use the scroll wheel in any direction once you put the TACC on). But the only downside here is (other than manually moving scroll wheel) for the next TACC target speed to change you have to again use scroll wheel to change atleast a mile.
For eg., if you are on motorway and you set TACC with target speed at 72. Now use scroll to move to 70. Now you enter slip road and the speed limit changes to 40 and you will see the TACC target speed change to 42. Now use scroll wheel and move to 40. Now you see the 30 speed limit and TACC changes to 32. So essentially you can make the TACC target speed change automatically.

I am sure you can question why make it complicated? The logic is the preset target speed (remember you do it in the automatic navigation) cannot change based on camera readings. But if you change that then the AI assumes this is not the preset condition and changes according to road signs.

Regarding your point that it changes in single carriage way we normally don’t allow the preset speed limit as it will be too fast so we do use scroll wheel to reduce it so TACC speed changes.

Last edited:
The wife drive us to a wedding at the weekend and I updated her on the latest features and how AHB was auto on and to be careful as it’s absolutely horrendous…..

It performed flawlessly and she though I was taking the mick 🤯
Hmmm I think this is one of the thing shared by many in this forum. I always found the Mercs, Audis and the BMWs AHB so bright and on my eyes and dips so slowly when they are on the other side of the road, wondering why people think they are better than a Model 3?

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned before on here but I’ve just noticed both my cars on 28.2 no longer make any parking sensor bong noises. Tried doing a reset but hasn’t fixed the issue. Anyone else having the same issue?
Funny you should say that. I seen all the chat about parking sensors beeping. Mine never has. Perhaps it’s a setting I’ve never turned on!

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned before on here but I’ve just noticed both my cars on 28.2 no longer make any parking sensor bong noises. Tried doing a reset but hasn’t fixed the issue. Anyone else having the same issue?
It's not unusual for a setting to be reset after a software update. If anything behaves differently its always worth checking that the settings are as you left them.

Funny you should say that. I seen all the chat about parking sensors beeping. Mine never has. Perhaps it’s a setting I’ve never turned on!

You can use Park Assist with or without audible feedback. To turn chimes on or off, touch Controls > Safety> Park Assist Chimes.

Late night drive up the A1 between Hatfield and Grantham. I'll caveat this by saying Autopilot has always seemed to struggle with the A1 on this route, but this was a fairly unpleasant litany of phantom braking, AHB completely not caring about visible tail lights and cars on the other side of the reservation, with a need to manually cancel every time AP was re-engaged. Thank god it wasn't raining. Sh**e.

Last edited:
Reactions: CWT3LR