Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.44

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect that most are not inconsistencies between cars but inconsistencies between driving locations and conditions.

I know Twickenham and surrounding areas very well (ex local lad) and I can say that the driving conditions in that area are completely different to say the driving conditions where I am now. When I lived in your part of the world, 99% of my trips were under very similar conditions as most trips were fairly local or in towards London. Where I live now, 100% of my drives involves conditions that you might experience in 0.1% of conditions where you are. So I would expect that your experiences are very different to my experiences and nothing to do with the car,

I'm only in 4th year of Tesla ownership and for a variety of reasons, I do not drive the car as often as I once did, so no long term consistency, but my feeling is that dry wiping has for worse since 2022.20.x (I jumped from .20 to .36). I use to be able to predict dry wiping circumstances pretty well and they only lasted for a couple of nuisance wipes, but I am now finding that occasions of dry wipes are not where I would once have predicted and they go on for extended periods of time. Of course, this time of year brings its own challenges to driving in general, not least Tesla Vision, but my experience is that occurrences of dry wiping is a new problem rather than a previous inconvenience. Not had a change to be in circumstances where its previous nemisis, not being triggered by spray when overtaking vehicles on motorway, had changes.

As for AHB, tbh, my particular circumstances, the only issue with them was that once they deactivated, you could slowly count to 3 or 4 before they came back on. I can't really say that following other vehicles or slow to dip causing dazzle was a noteworthy problem. But just because I never saw that as a problem doesn't mean that it was not a problem for others.

Lots of reasons why this might be, most of them I am sure are very valid reasons for that individual and often based on previous experiences with similar functionality setting a level of expectation that is not equalled by what they are experiencing now, let alone by the many references raising expectation of Tesla being such a superior car. It’s much easier to see deficiencies when you lose something rather than coming from the other direction of having no/lesser experiences and seeing an improved experience. That group may find the Tesla experience fantastic, whilst the former group see a backward step. Both groups are right and both groups may have different experiences of different aspects of the car. Where IMHO it can become more of a problem is when that experience changes over the lifetime of the ownership experience. Great if it’s an improvement, but not if its perceived to be a backward step.
I agrée with @MrBadger
I rarely get dry wiping and they otherwise behave as I’d expect. I’m sure that’s down to location and type of driving.
I must admit that a sensitivity control would certainly be a bonus.

All I know is that for the last 20 years I’ve barely had to intervene with autowipers because they’ve worked almost flawlessly. I buy a Tesla and the wipers are crap, along with several other things.

Perhaps they should perfect vision only wipers before foisting a deeply flawed product on the customer, thus avoiding the detriment of the driving experience. It’s an example of Tesla treating their customers with contempt, as they have also in taking away the USS with no replacement in sight. “Soon” in Teslaspeak is completely meaningless.

Robotaxis - weren’t there supposed to be one million on the road by the end of 2020?
Tesla absolutely treat customers with contempt, we are simply a short-term necessity to help fund the construction of their manufacuring capability and help collect training data for the AI. We will be dropped as soon as possible, and frankly if we could stop asking questions they aren't interested in even better. People complaining about the pace of FSD development are turkeys requestion Christmas comes earlier.

Not certain but that's how I'm understanding it. Have defaulted all driver profiles to use cameras in Sentry mode. Will take the battery hit (I presume there is one) for the times I switch on Sentry.
Good point about all profiles needing it to be re-enabled. Hadn’t thought of that.
Sentry mode is a bit of an odd one to associate with a particular driver though. Would be better as a ‘global’.

Reactions: MrBadger
suspect that most are not inconsistencies between cars but inconsistencies between driving locations and conditions.

I know Twickenham and surrounding areas very well (ex local lad) and I can say that the driving conditions in that area are completely different to say the driving conditions where I am now. When I lived in your part of the world, 99% of my trips were under very similar conditions as most trips were fairly local or in towards London. Where I live now, 100% of my drives involves conditions that you might experience in 0.1% of conditions where you are.
Very presumptuous of you. I’ve added 15k miles to my car over the last year, solely for pleasure purposes (not long miles for a job) and spend a lot of time in my place in rural France and so believe I have experienced the use of wipers in quite a diverse set of conditions.

I was trying to add value by highlighting the [same] hardware and software seems to work for some people and so would hope it SHOULD work for the majority of the people for the majority of the time.

+1 for AHB being much better (now usable!) in recent updates.

Very presumptuous of you. I’ve added 15k miles to my car over the last year, solely for pleasure purposes (not long miles for a job) and spend a lot of time in my place in rural France and so believe I have experienced the use of wipers in quite a diverse set of conditions.

I was trying to add value by highlighting the [same] hardware and software seems to work for some people and so would hope it SHOULD work for the majority of the people for the majority of the time.

+1 for AHB being much better (now usable!) in recent updates.
I agree, my auto-wipers work perfectly well most of the time, however they fail in two easily reproducible ways
1. If there is some dirt in the camera view that triggers the wipers but is not moved, then they just dry wipe. As they are linked the only way to stop it is to not use AP, which is a very bad user experience.
2. In the dark they are often poor, generally at too low a speed at multiple strengths of rain, and I end up pressing the button repeatedly as the UI makes changing the speed manually an issue. Generally, this seems to not be an issue on Motorways so AP isn't involved.

I agree, my auto-wipers work perfectly well most of the time, however they fail in two easily reproducible ways
1. If there is some dirt in the camera view that triggers the wipers but is not moved, then they just dry wipe. As they are linked the only way to stop it is to not use AP, which is a very bad user experience.
2. In the dark they are often poor, generally at too low a speed at multiple strengths of rain, and I end up pressing the button repeatedly as the UI makes changing the speed manually an issue. Generally, this seems to not be an issue on Motorways so AP isn't involved.
Then surely they don’t work perfectly well 🤔

Reactions: MrBadger
Has this broken anyone else's boot? Mine is only opening an inch most of the time, it occasionally opens all the way but very aggressively. Then it slams shut. A two button rest hasn't fixed it so I'll put a service request in..

Thanks for the reminders to re enable camera based sentry on all profiles, I would have missed that.

I think the boot problems are hardware and not software issues.

I had my powered boot strut changed a few days ago, before this software update.

There has been a slight revision change on the boot strut since the last one I had replaced. They are rusting inside even with the o-ring "patch".

I have a quick question, I'm not yet 100% sure if I am going more crazy then normal.
But I swear that the passenger window is doing things when the driver door is being open and or closed.
I've only heard this sound since MY updated to 2022.44.2
For example I thought I heard the passenger window move when I got in the car this morning on the way to work, and again when I got back from work, but not when I went out during lunchtime.

Can anyone else confirm this, or am I just going totally mad?

I have a quick question, I'm not yet 100% sure if I am going more crazy then normal.
But I swear that the passenger window is doing things when the driver door is being open and or closed.

When you exit the car and temperature is below a certain temperature, iirc 4C, the car will drop the windows slightly to make it easier to open doors if frozen. So its that drop that you are probably hearing. It wont happen on its own though, so if you last exited vehicle and temp was above the temperature, if it then subsequently freezes you will need to watch a frozen window catching on the trim when opening.

• Informative
Reactions: Mad Professor
For example I thought I heard the passenger window move when I got in the car this morning on the way to work, and again when I got back from work, but not when I went out during lunchtime.

I noticed the same thing today sitting in passenger seat with my wife in the pilot seat.

This is happening with my passenger window. I opened driver door, sit in, close driver door and the passenger window drops and rise again. Thought I was going mad so opened the driver door again and closed it to see what happens but nothing. After a while or next day it happened again. I started to notice it in 2022.40.4.2