Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.44

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I should have said Autosteer.

Can someone tell me if they just rest their hands on the wheel, or do they need to put a force in one direction even on a straight line?
I rest my arm on the door card, with one hand applying slight pressure and the steering wheel in the corner. That applies enough pressure for the alarm not to come on.

It doesn't require any wiggling, but it does need a small amount of turning force applied to the wheel so it knows you are there. If you have your hands correctly at 10 to 2 then they tend to cancel each other out and it complains, hold it will one hand on one side like @Big_D said an it's happy.

Reactions: Doudeau
I collected my car Saturday morning and still haven't got the update with the track mode
It will come in its own time. Not unusual for new vehicles to wait weeks, or even month or so to get their first update. Its just how updates work although most cars will get an update within a few weeks of a stable release being out, irrespective of software setting. 2022.44.x is far from its final stable release although 2022.44.2 seems to have gone wider release even to standard setting cars but 2022.44.25.x, what appears to be the 'holiday update', hasn't. But new vehicle first update caveat still holds.

It doesn't require any wiggling, but it does need a small amount of turning force applied to the wheel so it knows you are there. If you have your hands correctly at 10 to 2 then they tend to cancel each other out and it complains, hold it will one hand on one side like @Big_D said an it's happy.
You’ll start the how to hold the wheel debate with that kind of talk. I’ve recently been informed it’s no longer 10-2 but 9-3 in order to account for the airbag.

I find 9-3 actually works quite well with the Tesla steering wheel. As with Big_D, I rest my right hand on the 3 position usually with my elbow on the door and this works rather well.

You’ll start the how to hold the wheel debate with that kind of talk. I’ve recently been informed it’s no longer 10-2 but 9-3 in order to account for the airbag.

I find 9-3 actually works quite well with the Tesla steering wheel. As with Big_D, I rest my right hand on the 3 position usually with my elbow on the door and this works rather well.
It's two hands that are the problem for me, they cancel each other out in terms of turning force when resting. Were you ever a professional arm wressler? maybe you have one hand that is heavier than the other?

1671441373172.png

It's two hands that are the problem for me, they cancel each other out in terms of turning force when resting. Were you ever a professional arm wressler? maybe you have one hand that is heavier than the other?

View attachment 886690
🤣
Whilst cruising on AP, I only leave one hand on the wheel in order to provide that one sided torque and not upset AP. As you say, leaving both hands on the wheel cancel each other out and AP will through a wobbler.

Probably not related but I got a notification from the car last night that my driver window wasn’t fully closed. Maybe the cold but I hadn’t driven it for 24 hours. I pressed the ‘close windows’ button.

This morning I open the door and there is a fair bit or rain on the seat and down the side. Guess the button didn’t work :(

It will come in its own time. Not unusual for new vehicles to wait weeks, or even month or so to get their first update. Its just how updates work although most cars will get an update within a few weeks of a stable release being out, irrespective of software setting. 2022.44.x is far from its final stable release although 2022.44.2 seems to have gone wider release even to standard setting cars but 2022.44.25.x, what appears to be the 'holiday update', hasn't. But new vehicle first update caveat still holds.
Thanks for your explanation. I did get some updates on the first day, just not this latest one.
Looking forward to it, especially if the autowiper function improves when using autopilot. Also really curious to check out track mode.

Maybe a silly question only have car for few days. Why roundabouts are not visible on the car same as normal lanes
One thing to remember, the visualisations is more for show and not to be relied upon. just like autopilot is meant for dual carriageways or motorways. Unlike what you see in the YouTube FSD beta videos from the US, their roads are not as complicated as everywhere else.

Apropos of nothing perhaps but I had my first ever Automatic Emergency Braking event today, whilst navigating a roundabout. Car slammed on the brakes, accelerator pedal went to the floor, could hear brakes grabbing ala ABS.

I wasn’t going that fast, maybe 20mph at most, and the car in front of me was some distance away, a few metres at least, I was certainly in no danger of hitting it.

Took a couple of seconds before the car would let me take control again. Wasn’t quite at a standstill but almost.

Have I just busted my phantom braking cherry?

On the topic of AP steering nag - It got really upset with me two or three times yesterday and I hadn't changed my 'wiggle' style, so maybe that tolerance has been tweaked.

On the topic of wipers - Mine were also going crazy in light drizzle / heavy motorway spray yesterday.

Apropos of nothing perhaps but I had my first ever Automatic Emergency Braking event today, whilst navigating a roundabout. Car slammed on the brakes, accelerator pedal went to the floor, could hear brakes grabbing ala ABS.

I wasn’t going that fast, maybe 20mph at most, and the car in front of me was some distance away, a few metres at least, I was certainly in no danger of hitting it.

Took a couple of seconds before the car would let me take control again. Wasn’t quite at a standstill but almost.

Have I just busted my phantom braking cherry?
I had this last week, coming up to a parked lorry, probably 20metres away and about 10 mph went to overtake as i pulled forward car slammed on the brakes. most annoying.