Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2023.20.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The single side climate control isn't new to this (previous) release but what is new is the aggressiveness of how much it is implemented. When it first came out, there were many situations where it would still run two-zone even when the passenger door wasn't opened.
I think you’re right. It’s always done the shutting off the passenger side when there is no passenger, however it seems a lot more decisive (?) now. Previously, it would start showing both sides, and after a while it would turn off the passenger side, but now it seems to do it from the get go.

Passenger Climate Temperature an 'undocumented change' in 2023.20.4.1 per notateslaapp FWIW:

1687186589639.png

In 2020.28.1 for Model Y, but apparently not in the UK (as I don't think it had been released), a similar feature was included.

1687186791084.png

Been going on a lot longer than that for heatpump cars, for example Passenger climate controls
And I think its only heat pump cars as the partial cut off wasn't available before.

I now get an involuntary twitch of annoyance when I see notateslapp mentiomed. they tell you stuf that never happens, and they tell you stuff thats happened a while back, and they manage to put 6 adverts between the 2.

• Funny
Reactions: SGPips
Yes this took a long time to update for me too. I heard the update was around 4 gb's? Definitely more under the hood than minor updates!

The Tesla App trip planner now has scheduled departure, which is also a nice addition. Remember to go in and update you app.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
It took twice as long, if not more, than typical updates, even significant updates.
Besides the point. Tesla updates are straightforward - download the new software, extract it into the spare partition, and reboot. Then fire the various ECU updates off via CAN.

There are issues with them starting to hit capacity limits on the filesystem so it could be they're using a more aggressive compression which takes longer to extract. But the fact is that Tesla updates are an image and to do a loose analogy are little more than taking out the old disk and swapping in a new one. Regardless of how big or small the changes are, swapping the disk takes the same time (with the compression caveat mentioned earlier).

Reactions: goRt
Passenger Climate Temperature an 'undocumented change' in 2023.20.4.1 per notateslaapp FWIW:

View attachment 948394

In 2020.28.1 for Model Y, but apparently not in the UK (as I don't think it had been released), a similar feature was included.

View attachment 948395
I hadn’t noticed but the passenger temp control is now only present when there is someone in the seat.
The face vents are still active though. Is auto disable only working on heatpump models?

I hadn’t noticed but the passenger temp control is now only present when there is someone in the seat.
The face vents are still active though. Is auto disable only working on heatpump models?
Haven't had any time to test yet but assumed that it was just a UI change to declutter the app launcher.

With cars fitted with a heat pump, the air flow is off when no passenger is detected which hasn't changed with this update.

Reactions: Dilly
I got 2023.20.4.1 on Sunday just gone. No issues there, but it must have downloaded the whole thing over LTE as I’m currently away from home and the car is not connected to Wi-Fi. I thought the updates only arrived over a Wi-Fi connection?

Besides the point. Tesla updates are straightforward - download the new software, extract it into the spare partition, and reboot. Then fire the various ECU updates off via CAN.

They might also have scripts to migrate settings to new formats, migrate local databases to new layouts, perform indexing etc. Again all very common, it's a full operating system with software and not just an embedded system.

It's still straightforward but these could have a significant impact on install times between versions.

I got 2023.20.4.1 on Sunday just gone. No issues there, but it must have downloaded the whole thing over LTE as I’m currently away from home and the car is not connected to Wi-Fi. I thought the updates only arrived over a Wi-Fi connection?
I’ve had that occur. A chap at Tesla told me that regular updates are wifi only, but updates required for compliance, recall or safety they push over LTE, to ensure everyone gets them. Might be something undocumented but urgent in this release. 🤷‍♂️

I noticed the fan speed dial this morning (which is my immediate function via the left scroll wheel at the mo) is more middle/left of the card now than on the far right where it was a bit tricky to see previously. Not noticed anything else yet....

(also posted in old 2023.12 thread....)
Nice! You are right. I checked before & after updating.

Also: The UI has more explanations and I think more of the UI text is in bold and thus easier to read.

Per standard practice after installation, I did the 2-thumb reboot. That now opens the glovebox via the quick menu and listens for a voice command. Persist past that to reboot.