Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2023.44

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As chance would have it, I used summon today to move the beastie out of a parking space where someone had parked a couple of inches from the driver’s door. Didn’t fancy climbing in through the passenger side!

I did a bit of AP driving today on .9 and it appeared the red KEEP YOUR HANDS ON THE WHEEL blaring warnings shortly after engaging AP seem to have settled down. I did some testing, in daylight, enabling AP and glancing down at the screen to check AP/speed settings and I got no warnings. On the earlier holiday update versions glancing down after turning on AP would cause the car to immediately tell me off.
Just to reply to myself…

Same bit of road today, completely different experience. Weather was overcast rather than sunny, but dry and light. Activating AP on the same bit of dual carriageway, a few seconds after activating I got blaring warnings telling me to hold the steering wheel. Odd thing is I was holding the steering wheel as usual and looking forward. Tried nudging the steering wheel a bit and then AP cancelled out with a “system error” or something like that. AP was then unavailable for around 30s. Once it became available again, I turned it back on and same thing happened again. I went through the rigmarole a total of 3 times before I gave up on it. Very odd. I checked the AP screen and I wasn’t showing any strikes, so there was clearly something going crazy in the software.

Has anyone else's summon completely stopped working again with this update?
Are you using Tessie or other Third party apps that connect to the car via bluetooth on your phone by any chance? I think that was the issue for me. Tessie took priority over the official Tesla app bluetooth key so the car wouldn't move when using Summon. I disabled BT in Tessie and it started working again immediately after.

Just to reply to myself…

Same bit of road today, completely different experience. Weather was overcast rather than sunny, but dry and light. Activating AP on the same bit of dual carriageway, a few seconds after activating I got blaring warnings telling me to hold the steering wheel. Odd thing is I was holding the steering wheel as usual and looking forward. Tried nudging the steering wheel a bit and then AP cancelled out with a “system error” or something like that. AP was then unavailable for around 30s. Once it became available again, I turned it back on and same thing happened again. I went through the rigmarole a total of 3 times before I gave up on it. Very odd. I checked the AP screen and I wasn’t showing any strikes, so there was clearly something going crazy in the software.
Sounds a 100% like my drive yesterday.

On my first drive in the dark this morning on 44.30.9, I noticed that high beam now resumes just two seconds after an oncoming car passes rather than 3 - 4 seconds as has been the case up to now. I don’t know if reaction to chevron signs has improved or not
I really hope so as its unsafe with the long delay we have at the moment. Some AI to need 4 seconds to determine if a red/white light is sensed in front.

Are the auto high beams reasonable now?

I turned them off when I brought the car 2 years ago and have never tried them.

Presumably they don't detect pedestrians etc? But they would turn off when you're in a 30 zone with street lamps?
They turn off if they see another cars lights, they don't turn off for streetlights in my experience, although I've not tried in .9

When they are on the left stalk will turn them on and off, so it's easy enough to opt out if they are doing something you don't like.

Mine definitely do not, and it’s quite embarrassing when I have to manually turn them off as they dazzle pedestrians and oncoming cyclists. Every other car I’ve had with auto high beams has been able to sense an ‘urban environment’ and not activate the full beams in these lit areas.
I drove a friends Model 3 fairly regularly a year or so ago and the auto headlights were useless so were always switched off. On my 2023 Model Y I’ve had for 6 months they’ve been faultless. I’ve not once had to switch full beam off manually.

I’m currently on 2023.44.30.8

Last edited:
Reactions: KennethS
That was the autopilot computer crashing and rebooting. Usually (but not always) a software issue.
And yesterday things went entirely haywire. All the cameras packed up, AP was unavailable, sentry didn’t work, and the FSD visualisation was completely empty. Ended up setting up a service request as there’s clearly some serious glitches in this version.