Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am right in thinking that I wont get this update for a couple of weeks as I only picked my highland up on Saturday.
That seems to be the expectation recently, that firmware updates won't come for a week or two following new car collection. But Tesla works in mysterious ways when it comes to the rollout of firmware updates so there is no hard and fast rule.

In 2019 when we collected our M3P we had a firmware update later in the day we got it home. So you never know....

Reactions: piffmunday
I am right in thinking that I wont get this update for a couple of weeks as I only picked my highland up on Saturday.

Recommend you forget about updates ... until one arrives. Bit incompatible with "New Toy", sorry! But you may be first-in-line this time ... and last next. Only thing worth noting is if you stop getting any, 'coz that would suggest that your Home WiFi is no longer talking to the car, or you have a download that has got stuck (such that you might need to call Support to get them to PUSH a fix)

If waiting patiently isn't working :) TeslaFi (a subscription service to log data from your car) have a non-subscription page showing the versions received by members:

And if you do get an update there is no guarantee that it will be the latest version that some will be talking about.

IME for a car that has been on the high seas for a month there might be several updates before the car is on "Latest"

Reactions: piffmunday
Ehhhh it‘s better than nothing though. It’s progress. It’s one less aspect of the car that feels like its over 10 years older than it should be.

That it isn’t available on pre-Highlands is lame though. Maybe it will in the future, though I doubt it. Having said that, if you’re buying a Tesla with an expectation that matrix lights are ”going to be switched on” ~3 years after they started being fitted, I have a bridge to sell you.

Ehhhh it‘s better than nothing though. It’s progress. It’s one less aspect of the car that feels like its over 10 years older than it should be.

That it isn’t available on pre-Highlands is lame though. Maybe it will in the future, though I doubt it. Having said that, if you’re buying a Tesla with an expectation that matrix lights are ”going to be switched on” ~3 years after they started being fitted, I have a bridge to sell you.
I thought the whole point of the over the air software updates was to keep your car up to date and bring us new features for free?

I agree it’s unlikely, but it in a way it’s undermining another Tesla USP (like superchargers being opened up) if they don’t upgrade older cars when they could (assumption being they could if they wanted to)

I thought the whole point of the over the air software updates was to keep your car up to date and bring us new features for free?

I agree it’s unlikely, but it in a way it’s undermining another Tesla USP (like superchargers being opened up) if they don’t upgrade older cars when they could (assumption being they could if they wanted to)
Each of the elements of the matrix are addressable (witness the light show from 3 years ago)
The software to provide the functionality is now in place

It's simply the polictcal will of musky, if this is how he chooses to repeatedly behave towards existing owners then we will move on to other brands - as you say, all he dies is destroy the USPs

They may only be “minor fixes” to the developers, but I wish they’d admit what they are and let the users decide whether they’re minor or not. Too easy to hide behind a generous definition of ‘minor’.
Be careful what you wish for. Half the changes that go into any code are things like correcting null pointer exceptions, fixing formatting for internal or API data transfer, and maybe updating a bizarre hack so that it works on a specific version of Netscape Navigator cause you have one client that's still using it.

If devs had to describe all these things in release notes people would start getting strokes. That's what github is for :)

Reactions: MrAshieB and init6
It’s the API changes, the current API is a bit of a security hole at the moment.

You give over full control of the car to any 3rd part app and the vast majority don’t need it. E.g. octopus energy for charging.

If the 3rd party app is compromised, they have control of your car, its location and the keys to drive it away.

Reactions: browellm
The Octopus Energy Tesla API SDK integration authorisation works on grants for information about vehicle and charging control, not full control.

Profile Information
Allow access to your profile information, including data such as your contact information, profile picture, and referral information

Vehicle Information
Allow access to your vehicle information, including data such as your vehicle's live data, location, eligible upgrades, nearby superchargers, ownership, and service scheduling data *

Vehicle Commands
Allow access to your vehicle commands, including commands such as add/remove driver, access Live Camera, unlock, wake up, remote start, and schedule software updates

Vehicle Charging Management
Allow access to your vehicle charging management, including data such as your vehicle charging history, billed amount, charging location, commands to schedule, and start/stop charging *

Energy Product Information
Allow access to your energy product information for Powerwall and solar, including data such as energy flow history, saving forecast, tariff rates, grid import, calendar, site status, time of use, and ownership

Energy Product Commands
Allow access to your energy product commands for Powerwall and solar, including commands such as updates to storm mode and off-grid charging reserve

Last edited: