Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surely the cooling system for the computer is designed to deal with the maximum possible heat the computer can throw at it? Now if the octovalve / pump setup changed might do it. Is this the Atom screen processor overheating (or whatever they have in newer cars)?

Surely the cooling system for the computer is designed to deal with the maximum possible heat the computer can throw at it? Now if the octovalve / pump setup changed might do it. Is this the Atom screen processor overheating (or whatever they have in newer cars)?
As I mentioned recently, when I reported similar behaviour Tesla sent out a ranger who topped up the coolant and flushed the cooling system to remove any bubbles.
☝️

It’s a software issue but something similar but completely unrelated happened in the past that was attributed to the cooling system so we’re just going with that even though there’s no proof this is anything to do with the cooling system.

We’ll all be sat here in amazement when the next update gets pushed out and it miraculously fixes the issue. Unless Tesla have developed a new way to digitally top up coolant over the air.

It’s a software issue but something similar but completely unrelated happened in the past that was attributed to the cooling system so we’re just going with that even though there’s no proof this is anything to do with the cooling system.

We’ll all be sat here in amazement when the next update gets pushed out and it miraculously fixes the issue. Unless Tesla have developed a new way to digitally top up coolant over the air.
When the next update gets pushed that reduces the overall the CPU utilisation back to how it was previously, then any flaw in the coolant levels would go back to being masked.

Reactions: Cardo
How do you know it’s CPU utilisation causing it to overheat? You don’t.

It’s crazy unlucky how both my cars built 6 months apart both seem to have a coolant issue 😵‍💫

Even more crazy that the computer crash seems to be triggered in exactly the same way by indicating. What are the odds?

Or maybe there’s an unhandled exception in the software that causes the computer to crash and have to restart. I know which one sounds more likely.

Maybe, but from what I can see on the web map updates are in the 6 to 8 GB range. Anyway, the router says the car pulled down another 11.5GB between 10 and 11 today.

There may also have been game updates which also fly mostly under the radar. But they are relatively small.

Is it all definitely a download (to the car)? When we first got our car and HW3 was new, it was very common for Tesla to download large amount of data from our car shortly after a drive. If you are on HW4, it’s possible that they will be doing the same, and even if not, they may well be downloading data from early users of that version.

This latest update is a shocker, the visualisations fail frequently, as described above.

Turns out there’s an error for it that doesn’t pop up, this also stopped the parking visitations working 🙄

IMG_5155.jpeg

In an earlier post, someone asked what the deal would be for those out of warranty. Now, that’s a very interesting question. If Tesla push a software update to your out of warranty car that causes problems that require a physical fix, who’s responsible for the cost? Personally, I feel it should be Tesla, however I can see them arguing it’s a latent problem with the car that was brought to the surface by the update and therefore not their responsibility…
It is a bit like the problems with the MCU 1 upgrades on the older model S cars - much debate about who would pay for what, but the nub of the problem was that the current processing demands ended up being far more than the c 2013 hardware could manage. For those not close to the topic Tesla agreed to a 'free' RAM upgrade but pushed very heavily the MCU 2 upgrade at a cost of around £1,700, which did bring other features but killed off the radio in the process. (Unless you want to 'buy' the radio upgrade too for a further £350).

It is a bit like the problems with the MCU 1 upgrades on the older model S cars - much debate about who would pay for what, but the nub of the problem was that the current processing demands ended up being far more than the c 2013 hardware could manage. For those not close to the topic Tesla agreed to a 'free' RAM upgrade but pushed very heavily the MCU 2 upgrade at a cost of around £1,700, which did bring other features but killed off the radio in the process. (Unless you want to 'buy' the radio upgrade too for a further £350).
The flip side of continual software updates. All good, as long as you have the latest hardware.

Was most unsettling to have no lane render visibility, no TACC, certainly no Auto-Steer on sections of 60 mph. Nothing displayed other than the degraded lane keeping message. It did seem to spring back to life later on in the drive, so probably just crashing in the code somewhere. Also had to switch to manual wiping rate at one point since the auto wipers simply stopped.